Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · opening cr2 file

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · opening cr2 file

My daughter has a job where she is trying to open a CR2 file, which I believe is Canon Raw. She's using photoshop, though I am not sure what version.. I am trying to get her to tell me the photoshop version and what camera shot these photos she is trying to open. as yet, I don't know specifics.

Does a CR2 with Photoshop tell anyone anything? She says she can't open it. If I get more info, I'll post it.

thanks.

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:59 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · opening cr2 file

nope. every camera produces it's own unique version of .cr2 and it requires a certain baseline version of Photoshop to open them. So, w/o the info you have already asked her for, there isn't much to be done.

That said, you could have her download the latest 'DNG Converter' and have her convert the .cr2 to .dng and most any vaguely recent version of Photoshop will open that .dng

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · opening cr2 file

Yes, that is a Canon file, and could be from almost any Canon of the last decade or so. If her version of Photoshop won't open it, the software predates the camera. Updates to Camera Raw (the PS raw converter) are generally only available up to some point shortly after introduction of a new version of Photoshop, so she may be able to update PS, but it may not be possible. It all depends on what camera and what version of PS. It is also possible to download a free Adobe DNG converter, which would generate a "universal" raw file that then could be opened by most versions of PS.

Edit: I see howardm4 beat me to it!

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · opening cr2 file

Yes, you all have confirmed my suspicions on what could be wrong, while I am more nikon and leica oriented, these characteristics are shared by nikon and canon where photoshop is concerned and nef or raw processors.

I have asked her for the info, if she can find it out, then we'll have something to go on and maybe I can help her as a Dad likes to do for his daughter. :-)

If nothing else, I will try to have her send me the file, then I can take a shot at it, being a computer guy, I have the experience, as well as multiple tools to try and open it, then we'll see!

Actually, I have many many versions of Photoshop from 5.5 on to CS5. I haven't bit on CS6.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:11 PM
dshigeno

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · opening cr2 file

If your daughter only needs to be able to view the .CR2 image, this can be achieved if she is running a Windows machine by using Canon's RAW Codec software. Canon distributes this software on its website.

Here's a description from Canon:
Canon RAW Codec is a plug-in software that enables the import and display of Canon RAW image files when installed in Windows 7 (including SP1) 32-bit version/Windows Vista (including SP1/SP2) 32-bit version/Windows XP (including SP3) 32-bit version(*). * To use the software with Windows XP SP3, application software that supports WIC (such as Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery) will be required.

The software can be downloaded from Canon here.

DTS

Oct 11, 2012 at 06:42 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · opening cr2 file

for a PC

she go the the Adobe support website. Then for her version of Photoshop download the free DMG converter. That will allow her to convert the file from Canon .CR2 to Adobe DMG format her version of Photoshop can open. The DMG converter may be with the Adobe Camera Raw download.

A Macintosh with OSX will have the Apple RAW converter as part of the operating system

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password