Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Which kit would you pick and why

dgsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which kit would you pick and why

If you had the money, and had non-professional but extremely passionate interest in the below mentioned photography areas and were provided the means to acquire:

Would you opt for:
Landscapes and Macro: D800e + Zoom Holy Trinity / 21 Zeiss / 35 Samyang / 100 Zeiss
Events and Portraits: Canon 5Dmk3 / 24 TS-E / 85L / 135L / 300F4

Or would you rather get:

Canon 5Dmk3 / Samyang 14 / Zeiss 21 Nikon mount / 24-TSE / 24-70mk2 / 70-200mk2 / Samyang 35 Nikon mount/ 85L / 135L / 180L / 300L (and maybe a Zeiss 100 Nikon mount) / As many Nikon-To-EOS adapters each with aperture lever

Why or Why won't you get one over the other?

I would like thoughts on the entire kits as presented and not parts thereof (meaning get 70-200 now and add 85 / 135 later if needed).

Unbiased, non-fanboy responses will of course be more helpful.

Thanks.

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 03:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:30 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which kit would you pick and why

Are you seeking to generate heat or light? Do you "have the money"? i.e. Are you seeking practical advice or are you wanting to generate discussion about hypotheticals and fantasies? If you are just looking to find comparisons between aspects of the systems, then there is more than enough information available about them.

What is your objective?

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:06 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which kit would you pick and why

So why the alt glass in Nikon mount in the Canon only option if you opt an immediate, end state of the kit with just a Canon body? I don't see the EOSfun in this question? I voted Canon only, because I'd like to keep my system setup clean and simple. But I have to admit that having a high megapixel D800 body for landscape would be nice. I prefer to wait for a high mp model from Canon though, rather than mixing up a well balanced system with strange components. For that reason my recommandation to get the alt glass in Canon mount as well.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:33 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which kit would you pick and why

I take it from your post count and time on the board that you're not just a troll....

I don't really understand the passion that a "debate" like this generates. Canon and Nikon both make excellent camera bodies, well capable of meeting the reasonable demands of even the most exacting professionals. And differences in specifications generally are ephemeral, and not (IMO) a reason to buy one system over the other.

I cannot imagine that the hassles of having all that equipment are worth it, for the temporary, slight advantage one system may have over the other.

My first DSLR was a Canon, for whatever reason. Over the years, I have accumulated a decent collection of Canon glass, enough so that I don't much care what Nikon offers, because whatever it may be doesn't justify the expense and hassle of switching gear.

So pick your brand (by whatever criteria make sense to you) and go with it. If you're inclined to appreciate quality, you'll be very happy with either choice; if you're inclined to whine about some perceived lack of perfection, you'll whine about either choice.

JMO.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which kit would you pick and why

If I had a bit of money (not a boatload to buy MF) to burn I'd buy a D800E and a 14-24, purely for landscapes. Not that I don't think the 5D3 is excellent and in the real world I'm very happy using it

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:47 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which kit would you pick and why

This really comes down to what your final output is going to be. Are you going to be printing in a large enough format for the D800E to really make a difference? I will admit that the D800E with 14-24 sounds like a superb landscape setup but if you don't cross that threshold of visible gain then why bother having two different setups?

If it were me I would seriously change the first option so that it only includes the 14-24 zoom on the Nikon side and puts the 24-70/70-200 zooms in the Canon category. When I think of events I'm thinking completely unscripted and unpredictable shots and I would almost always want a 24-70/70-200 combo for maximum flexibility. Also, 300F4 seems an odd choice for events and portraits. I would just add a 1.4x TC to my 70-200 or better yet as you don't seem to be cost restricted, get a 200L. That is a fabulous portrait lens if you have the space and combined with the TC gets you the 300 reach at 2.8.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which kit would you pick and why

I voted Canon only.

That said, here are a few observations:

Two systems are cumbersome and awkward to maintain, especially two with such dissimilar controls and menus. I'd concentrate on one, which is what I did after a couple years trying to use both.

I agree with Eosfun -- no need for Nikon mount Zeiss for Canon, unless you are wanting manual aperture for serious videography.

In your Nikon trinity, why cheap-out with Samyang 35 when you are buying the other Zeiss lenses? Step up and buy the ZF.2 35/1.4 lens!

You don't have any real "event" lenses listed, although you show the Canon body. You need zooms to pull of event-style photos. Buy the 24-70L II, 24-105L, and/or the 28-300L. Keep two bodies -- one can be a prime on your shoulder, the other a zoom on your neck.

It does seem like you are trying to stir up debate, rather than obtain genuine assistance for camera needs. Please convince me otherwise.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:19 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which kit would you pick and why

If you want to have something now and you can't or are not willing to wait a bit longer until Canon will release a D800 counterpart, I would go for something similar to option one, either mixing Nikon and Canon or just stick fully to Nikon. As mentioned above, the Nikon 14-24 mm lens is very good and would be nice to have in combination with the D800 for landscape and scenery plus architecture work.

Not sure if you really need an additional Canon body just for events and portraits. Main advantage here on the Canon side are the 85 and 135 mm lenses. If you believe you definitely need one or both of those prime lenses, yes, then you need to get a Canon FF body, likely the 5D III if good AF is needed. On the other hand, the good 70-200/2.8 from Nikon might be sufficient for most scenarios, too.

You can get good third party macro lenses both for Canon and Nikon fit - with current choices on the market, I would vote again for the D800. Depending what sort of closeup or macro you are shooting, the Sigma 150/2.8 or any of the 100 mm range macro lenses are very good options.

Your profile states that you already have a 5Dc and Canon glass which might make the switch fully to Nikon a bit more cumbersome.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:23 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which kit would you pick and why

If I have money, I'd get me a Medium Format panorama camera. I saw the result of one in a local gallery and it was glorious.

Other than that, I just keep to one system.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:30 PM
dgsphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which kit would you pick and why

Monito wrote:
Are you seeking to generate heat or light? Do you "have the money"? i.e. Are you seeking practical advice or are you wanting to generate discussion about hypotheticals and fantasies?

Intend to generate light (informed, diligent decision).

This has been a very slow, deliberate process that I have been working on for the past year or so. I have been slowly acquiring these lenses (from both camps) at really good prices (relative to current pricing). The only ones I don't have are the Canon 24-70mk2 / Zeiss 100 / Samyang 35. The zeiss 21 I have is an EF mount at the moment.

So it's not a fantasy. It's a real dilemma. Not trying to start a brand war as they are both capable kits.. In fact this is not even about Nikon or Canon. The specific products listed are there for their capabilities and not because of a specific label they have. This is about very specific kit options and which one makes more sense and for what reasons.

The deliberate long drawn effort is actually making it difficult for me now to pick a path at the crossroads.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which kit would you pick and why

Honestly I just printed about 5 20x30's using the 5D3 and mainly the 24 TSE II and the 40mm 2.8. Blown away by the detail and color. Did not wish for anything more really. The prints look amazing and the images look like they can be enlarged to 60" at least! I did use perfect technique. One has to no matter the camera. With the 5D3 live view it was easy to achieve perfect focus which is critical.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:32 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which kit would you pick and why

I'm with eosfun.

If you're already a Canon user/owner of any decent sized Canon system, get the 5D3 today and appropriate glass. The 46MP Canon just announced will surely blow the D800 out of the water. At that time, you can add that (money is no object, right?) and keep the 5D3 as a backup.

If you're already a Nikon user, get the D800E and don't look back.

If you're a Canon user and don't mind having dissimilar systems and this WILL be your last purchase ever and you MUST get the best landscape system available TODAY, then get the D800E. Having said that, you may regret your decision when the 46mp Canon comes out.... Then again.. if money is no object, just dump the Nikon system and go back to Canon. IMHO, the lost productivity switching back and forth is not worth it even if money were no object.

Strictly sticking to your "end-state" system requirement for replies is unrealistic IMHO.... sorry... Noone really looks at things this "terminally" specially "If you had the money"....

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:33 PM
dgsphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which kit would you pick and why

Gunzorro wrote:
It does seem like you are trying to stir up debate, rather than obtain genuine assistance for camera needs. Please convince me otherwise.

I can understand the reason for that, but for me it's real!

As I said this is not about brands and it's not *just* about D800e vs 5Dmk3 either. It's about two kits with very specific products (and not labels) making those up.

I think we are all aware of the strengths and weakness of each of those individual products as well.

I guess what I am looking for are thoughts on strengths/limitations of each those two as a cohesive system/kit and which one would you pick and why.

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:47 PM
dgsphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which kit would you pick and why

Just want to add a clarification on what I meant by "End State".

Basically I meant to say that I wanted feedback on both options as presented and not parts thereof.

Of course this structure could change a few years from now, but I won't be coming back to it every 2 or 3 months.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:55 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which kit would you pick and why

One brand/system. Nikon or Canon doesn't matter. But only one...

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:03 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which kit would you pick and why

Leica .

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:39 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which kit would you pick and why

Serious landscape work = Linhof 4x5 with Zeiss and/or Schneider optics.

Hows that for a left turn!?!?

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which kit would you pick and why

dgsphoto -- Okay! Glad to know you have a genuine interest in improving your game.

I got involved with Nikon for the second time a few years ago, as I was accumulating Nikon AIS lenses for video with Canon DSLRs. It seemed obvious to buy some Nikon gear to use them on. I quit before the D800 and D600, but I don't regret not waiting around to get those cameras. I prefer the system approach, ergonomics and controls of the Canon cameras, and the IQ is still impressing me (looking forward to more improvements).

I'm glad I tried, but decided to use Canon as my main brand, and only brand for DSLR. I do have Oly for M4/3, but I'm not as serious about that smaller format. Trying to juggle multiple DSLR formats is redundant and costly -- but give it a go! Don't discuss or debate, just go buy the Nikon stuff and start doing A-B comparisons to your Canon stuff. The sooner you start, the sooner you will know if you prefer one or the other, but likely you won't keep one for certain subjects and the other for different subjects -- you'll end up grabbing one bag, not two, when you leave for an assignment or trip.

Have fun!

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which kit would you pick and why

pKai wrote:
I'm with eosfun.

If you're already a Canon user/owner of any decent sized Canon system, get the 5D3 today and appropriate glass. The 46MP Canon just announced will surely blow the D800 out of the water. At that time, you can add that (money is no object, right?) and keep the 5D3 as a backup.

If you're already a Nikon user, get the D800E and don't look back.

If you're a Canon user and don't mind having dissimilar systems and this WILL be your last purchase ever and you MUST get the best landscape system available TODAY, then get the D800E.
...Show more

pkai -- Where was this Canon announcement of a 46MP camera?? I've heard a bunch of rumor and fan-dreams, but no product announcement or release schedule. Did I miss something today?

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:15 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which kit would you pick and why

Gunzorro wrote:
pkai -- Where was this Canon announcement of a 46MP camera?? I've heard a bunch of rumor and fan-dreams, but no product announcement or release schedule. Did I miss something today?

I got carried away saying "announce" -- Its more of a serious rumor with multiple sources stating that Canon will announce a 46mp body at PhotoPlus later this month. I guess we'll all have to wait and see if its BS or not. This time around, it doesn't feel like BS to me....

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password