Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need young girl p-folio samples

fastw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Shooting a 12 year old girl this weekend for a portfolio. Very awkward age, too young for "sexy" look, too old for "child" look.
Need advice and samples/links.
Cheers, WK.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Need young girl p-folio samples

As a father of four daughters who have all gone through that age ... I always felt they looked their best when they wore a clean/natural look and were projecting their personality rather than trying to "look" a certain way.

What are the girl's hobbies, interests & personality about/like? If the girl isn't a person who can control/project herself "at will" ... incorporating that which she is familiar with makes it easier to naturally extract her expressiveness.

Although, I'm a bit confused ... could you clarify why you have chosen to hire a 12 year old model for shooting images to build your portfolio? What is your objective, i.e. "the point", "the message you want the image to convey to your viewer" for the image that you are incorporating into your portfolio? It sounds like you don't have a clear objective for the image/shoot already defined?

OR ...

Are you shooting a portrait of a 12 year old girl as a client ... and wanting to make it portfolio worthy to add to your portfolio ... looking for ideas how to showcase your ability to handle that "awkward" age group?

OR ...

Are you shooting to build a portfolio of images for the girl, in which she is trying to showcase her abilities to convey different looks?

I guess I'm asking WHOSE portfolio are we talking about ... yours or the girls?

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:33 PM
fastw
• •
p.1 #3 · Need young girl p-folio samples

RustyBug wrote:
As a father of four daughters who have all gone through that age ... I always felt they looked their best when they wore a clean/natural look and were projecting their personality rather than trying to "look" a certain way.

What are the girl's hobbies, interests & personality about/like? If the girl isn't a person who can control/project herself "at will" ... incorporating that which she is familiar with makes it easier to naturally extract her expressiveness.

Although, I'm a bit confused ... could you clarify why you have chosen to hire a 12 year old model for shooting images to
...Show more

I am shooting for her portfolio for an agent.

Cheers, W.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Is she trying to solicit the agent to represent her, or has she already signed with the agent?

Have you spoken with the agent or reviewed the agency's portfolio / models to see what styling they lean toward for some clarity of direction?

While she may be your client, but there's an old adage about striving to impress the boss's boss. Can you review the agent's requirements / guidelines and/or solicit/incorporate the agent into the creative process as to what he would like to have? That isn't to say you don't have creative license ... but sometimes it is easiest to answer a question that you already know the answer to, rather than guess.

Without any input from the agent ... I'm going with clean and demographic lifestyle images ... cell phone, PC, mall shopping as my muse ... what else do 12 year old girls do? What will her (future) images (broad concept) be used for that she will be cast for ... promoting marketing to that demographic or portraying a personality. You can also flirt with innocent love and boys as that is not the same as "sexy" as girls (some) are starting to turn toward WANTING to be more grown up.

While SHE might BE a 12 yr. old ... she could be called upon to portray an older (or younger) girl. Show the range of character that she could be reasonably cast as. A 20yr old "hottie", not so much. A fifteen year old girlfriend, more plausible. Does she "look" 12, or does she look 10 or 15? How is the agent going to want to use her ... which then becomes how will the agent's client want to use her. Therein lies your answers ... i.e. what will meet the needs of the boss's boss.

Also, is this going to have international flair where you might want to incorporate Japaneses or European styling ... or will it be "Down Under" flavoring only. Mostly more questions here ... but at the end of the day, I think your answers have to address them (or similar). This is the strength I play to, and then build some out of the box/set yourself apart stuff to go with it.

Gotta know your target audience ... I start with the agent/agency. Even if he wants "fresh & different" ... he should be able to at least identify his target markets. There is quite a lot of range between "child" and "sexy" ... let them steer you, rather than guessing ... but without further direction, I'm going for lifestyle and/or character @ hobbies/interests of the demographic.

HTH ... GL

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:23 AM
fastw
• •
p.1 #5 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Thanks RBug. Will have to research the agent/agency.

Cheers, W.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:40 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #6 · Need young girl p-folio samples

If you are having trouble to produce quality work for her.... you should refer her to a professional that could.

Well I hope you are doing this is for free. It would be ashamed if her portfolio photos affect her potential for being selected.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:45 PM
fastw
• •
p.1 #7 · Need young girl p-folio samples

M Lucca wrote:
If you are having trouble to produce quality work for her.... you should refer her to a professional that could.

Well I hope you are doing this is for free. It would be ashamed if her portfolio photos affect her potential for being selected.

If I ever want a stupid advice, I'll ask you directly, OK?

Oct 06, 2012 at 04:39 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Need young girl p-folio samples

M Lucca wrote:

did you even bother to read anything in this thread? please delete your account.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:07 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Google Zed card Teens. This should give you some ideas.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=safari&tab=wi&q=zed%20cards%20teens&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#p=0

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mr_baseball_08

p.1 #10 · Need young girl p-folio samples

BenV wrote:
did you even bother to read anything in this thread? please delete your account.

Hahahahaha

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:16 AM
fastw
• •
p.1 #11 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Google Zed card Teens. This should give you some ideas.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=safari&tab=wi&q=zed%20cards%20teens&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#p=0

Thanks Bruce, good stuff.

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:34 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Need young girl p-folio samples

M Lucca wrote:

fastw wrote:
If I ever want a stupid advice, I'll ask you directly, OK?

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Need young girl p-folio samples

M Lucca wrote:

I agree. If you don't know how to shoot it then you are not qualified to shoot it. Not pro model work for portfolio.

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:46 PM
fastw
• •
p.1 #14 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Beni wrote:
I agree. If you don't know how to shoot it then you are not qualified to shoot it. Not pro model work for portfolio.

I do know how to shoot for portfolio, just wanted some interesting samples. Don't tell me that you never looked for inspiration and ideas from others. I'm not a pioneer like you and Lucca.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:23 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Your sarcasm is about as professional as your question was.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Need young girl p-folio samples

http://www.studiobeniisrael.com/#!meet-the-team!

I'm guessing there is a fine line between arrogance and professionalism that doesn't always cross cultural ideals. I thought the OP was asking for help from his fellow members in the form of "creative juice" regarding a demographic that might not be his primary area. Asking a question doesn't automatically suggest someone is unqualified.

By looking at Beni's website ... I could "automatically" assume that he has no experience shooting portfolio's ... since Beni claims to be the best wedding photographer in the entire country (citing other photographers as haphazard, etc.). I'm sure Beni has dedicated his efforts to such endeavors to become the best. Likewise, someone could look at the fact that I do not have a website and "automatically" assume I an unqualified at anything or everything.

Neither is necessarily true, so jumping to conclusions about other members is rarely of little value. When a fellow member asks for help or assistance ... it is prudent, imo, to offer assistance in good faith. If you question something ... it can be good to ask, before you slam someone based on an assumption.

I found the OP's question also made me wonder ... "Hmmm, why is he asking this?" I came away with either:

A) Inexperience with portfolio work
B) Different demographic of client
C) Looking for creative inspiration (i.e. in a creative "lull")
D) Other

Sure, it might have come across oddly ... but when fellow members ask for help ... it really doesn't matter if they are a "total newb" or just having an "off day", imo, it is appropriate to offer help rather than "bust their chops" first chance you get. But, I suppose that is because I consider FM to be a place comprised of "fellow members".

I enjoy a good barb, sarcasm and snarky remark now & again ... but I'm not a huge fan of condescending arrogance toward someone simply asking for help. But, I guess if someone considers themselves so talented they feel compelled to publicly slam an entire country's wedding photographers as an illustration of their confidence ... they'd likely have no problem slamming an individual asking for help ... BEFORE even trying to offer help.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Need young girl p-folio samples

I just assumed he was looking for inspiration and creative ideas. Nothing wrong with that. I often bounce ideas back and forth between family, friends and other photogs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 05:32 PM
fastw
• •
p.1 #18 · Need young girl p-folio samples

Thanks Guys, went really well. Will put in a link if decide to include on website.

Cheers, W.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:39 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password