Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

i will repeat what i said above. RRS and Gitzo will never compete at price. they will exceed at design, quality and functionality.

who is Scott Bourne? guess i missed him somewhere along the way. then again, who am I? i miss me a lot too. i know a Scott Kelby but he's been seen around a few RRS tripods as of last year.

Pro's switching and promoting product, that something new? i know the people at MAC group too. i went from nikon film to canon digital to nikon digital in 10 years span. i took my first canon 1Ds at an extreme discount when i was persuaded to look into them. never did it again. a friend of mine has an entire photo dept for a well known clothing line (both catalog and store based) and uses Manfrotto aluminum all around the shop with hassey's propped up on them.

when it comes to monopods i do Feisol. the cost to benefit ratio in my uses due to its penchent for getting damaged in the field forces me to look at it from a more pragmatic view. they are an excellent product.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

The never ending Induro/Gitzo battle has now included other parties as well I see (Feisol, RRS and so on).

RRS, if you are reading this- I have been waiting for my TVC-33 order to clear for nearly a month now. WTF??

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

I'm just offering it as a data point. I am not saying they're as good as the RRS pods, as I haven't used the RRS pods. I've gone through three major tripods. When I first started, like many, I just had the cheap piece of crap that you can buy at Best Buy. When I got my first DSLR, I upgraded to an aluminum set of Manfrotto legs, which were quite good for my purposes, though heavy. I upgraded my ball head from my A/S modified manfrotto head a few years back and saw a visible improvement in droop and solidity, and I saw a big improvement in usability, weight and vibration when upgrading my manfrotto tripod after 6 years to my Carbon Fiber Induro.

My only point is that I think the jump from there to the true top end like the RRS tripods is a huge financial jump, and I don't really know if there's a huge jump in stability that justifies the cost for most photographers. For some, they need the absolute best of the best, no matter the cost. Most of us don't fall into that category, though. My current tripod has no obvious shortcomings that are causing me to miss shots or anything. I don't have droop in my ballhead, I don't have problems with vibrations in my photos (granted, I don't do a lot of long exposure photography in high wind with long lenses...which is where I'd imagine these differences would manifest themselves), though the question isn't between my tripod and an RRS at that point, it's between my tripod and one that's built for long lenses (i.e, one that is thicker and more stout than mine or the TVC-23 as well).

BTW, Scott Bourne is a fairly well known wildlife photographer who does a lot of media work and instruction as well. I certainly am not a Bourne disciple...I disagree with him a lot, actually, but the guy does do VERY well with his photography, both from the imaging point of view, as well as marketing/instruction.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:27 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

I feel you- All my Induro products in the past (BHL-3, GHB-A) have been top notch and I would not hesitate to buy anything from them again. Heck, as I mentioned in here before, if my RRS order does not clear up soon I am going to go with a CT314 or a CT414 from Induro.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

they don't mass produce and nor will they try. you have all the choices you want. like a centerpost you most likely won't use that helps make up that extra 2 lbs (ct414) extra 1lb (ct314). the lack of flexibility. in the end you just may choose to make the next person patiently waiting just a little happier a little sooner or yourself

Oct 08, 2012 at 04:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

Jman13 wrote:
I'm just offering it as a data point. I am not saying they're as good as the RRS pods, as I haven't used the RRS pods. I've gone through three major tripods. When I first started, like many, I just had the cheap piece of crap that you can buy at Best Buy. When I got my first DSLR, I upgraded to an aluminum set of Manfrotto legs, which were quite good for my purposes, though heavy. I upgraded my ball head from my A/S modified manfrotto head a few years back and saw a visible improvement in droop and
...Show more

we each have our own rationale.
i do alright by my photography too

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

Just bought a used tvc-33s. I will post up some photos when I get it.

P.S. Just handled a friends Sirui. It is a traveller model. N-1204. Not very impressed and that is a $350 tripod!

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:21 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

RRS just gave me a major FU. I was in the waitlist for a TVC-33 and I noticed it was in stock on Thursday so expected I was getting mine soon. "Somehow" they missed mine and now the tripod is out of stock again.

I cancelled my order and just bought the Induro flagship tripod for half the price. So much for that!

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:46 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

sometimes I wish I would have got a TVC33.. I ended up with a 24L.. although I dont need one that tall... I guess I save a little weight

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

vsg28 wrote:
RRS just gave me a major FU. I was in the waitlist for a TVC-33 and I noticed it was in stock on Thursday so expected I was getting mine soon. "Somehow" they missed mine and now the tripod is out of stock again.

I cancelled my order and just bought the Induro flagship tripod for half the price. So much for that!

oh well, as i said now someone behind you is just going to be a little happier in about a week or two.

if it was about the price you should have gotten the induro right off the bat. if weight didn't mattter the induro was there all the time. and in the end if you wanted something mass produced you could just grab off the shelf as induro is in stock everywhere.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

It was not just price, I called up RRS and they told me if the items said it was in stock they would get all waitlist orders fulfilled first. Then they proceeded to not do so. I understand this is still a small company but I would have atleast expected a reply as to what happened.

Anyway, if I do not like the Induro I will just send it back and wait for the usual Gitzo holiday season sale.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

patience would have paid off. they also just moved to a new location. i have sorta learned never to be in that much of a hurry to get things. they made an error but in the end you tried to punish them and i'm sorry that doesn't work and especially in your favor. you will now settle. since you say you are willing to wait for the next gitzo holiday sale you obviously weren't in a hurry to get it too.

but then again i did have to wait 6 months for my TVC leveling platform from them. it was worth it in the end though. i knew it was a new item coming out and they are rather anal about getting it right from their view.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

Am I settling for something other than the best? Of course I am. I knew that when I went with Induro. However, being a student, I get massive discounts on their gear which offsets some of that. I have also used their CT314 model and loved it. Getting the CT414 instead of Gitzo right now was a calculated risk which I believe will work out for me. I guess I will find out soon

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

well since you used the 314 and loved it you shouldn't have needed to go any further. it supposedly supports 40lbs and that pretty much covers 99% of gear you'll use. for your current gear you show there is no need to go to a 414 or the RRS. save the weight/bulk and the pricing you'll appreciate it, believe me.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

True, for my current gear the 414 is overkill. But with the short column option (which I went for, I don't think you get that option from regular dealers), the total weight reduced by 1 lb as per the manufacturer which puts it in the same ballpark as the 314.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

until you order the short column for the 314 instead.

at 40lb capacity it will suffice for a good deal more gear too.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:23 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

There was no short column option for the 314, I would have had to buy the column separately for additional cash. Besides I like doing overhead shots using a stepladder at events and the tall height of the 414 will be very useful there. There is no one answer to everyone's needs, I made a decision which hopefully I will not regret at all. I will find out soon

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

well actually there is its just you end up with both.

doing overheads at events on a stepladder is somewhat beyond the limits of 77" but it can be usable.

NIKON D4    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    58mm    f/5.6    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:15 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

Nice shot, was that with the TVC-33?

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Really Right Stuff Tripods

didn't need to. i was on stairs.

there's a time and a place for things and that was shoot fast or get ran over or the boot.

Saturday a day later approx 10am

NIKON D4    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    30mm    f/5.6    1/125s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:50 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password