Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Do you have a photography room?

Ruahrc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you have a photography room?

I'm going to be moving into a new place soon and there's going to be an extra room which I have been thinking about turning into a photography/hobby room. I would store my photo gear in here and also set up a sweet computer in to do my post processing. Where do you guys store your gear or do your photo stuff? Looking for ideas as far as gear storage/cabinets, desks, work surfaces, layout, etc.

Would like to see what you guys have done with your space(s) hopefully it will inspire others too.

Norman

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:56 AM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you have a photography room?

i'm currently working on this as well, thus my other thread about trying to find a big sheet of metal for the wall.

i have the room, but right now it consists of crap strewn everywhere. i need work surfaces and to get my "magnetic wall" up and running so i can layout prints.

w/r/t work surfaces, i was looking at inexpensive art tables like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Co-Craftmaster-Drawing-Hobby/dp/B000JM6BI4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1349270006&sr=8-13&keywords=art+table

but i dunno, i have a feeling it's a flimsy piece of junk that won't be terribly useful. i'm thinking about taking some old desks from work just for the surface area, but they weigh about a million pounds and i'm pretty lazy.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:14 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you have a photography room?

Love this thread & today's my day off so let's all post post photos of our mini-studios and gear rooms. Just purchased my first house and finally have my own space

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:32 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you have a photography room?

Only 1 room? I am using 2.5. 1 room to hold my equipment including a couple tripods, numerous bags and pelican cases and a closet full of cameras and lenses. This room also has a B&W printer and work station. I also have another area that contains my 2 large format printers, a work station and a framing area.

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:06 PM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you have a photography room?

I'm in the process of closing on a home and I'm going to turn the basement which is already a media room into my photography/computer space. That's where I'll post my reviews, do videos for YouTube and product shots.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:52 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you have a photography room?

I keep my photo gear in a bag and lean it up against a wall. I edit my pics on the family computer in the livingroom. Fancy I know, but try not to be too jealous.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:12 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you have a photography room?

I have a room that is a home office. Inside I a have a cabinet for my camera gear and 2 computers and a NAS I use for photo work.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:23 PM
jolsongoude

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you have a photography room?

Photo room

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:59 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you have a photography room?

Yes. The house.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you have a photography room?

Every room, especially the throne rooms.
I'm monitoring the print longevity under environmental stress conditions in there.

EBH

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ssnap
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you have a photography room?

My basement is a work in progress: a section will be set aside for photography, another for my workstation, and another for movies / games.

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:11 AM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you have a photography room?

An old pic of my home office / photography room:

If my eldest daughter would ever move out of the house (yeah, right!) I'll re-procure the "bonus room." It's got a walk in closet, full bath and a crap load of space. I used to have all of my stuff setup down there years ago before she moved back home (while going to college.) Funny, she never seemed to leave after graduating.... Lol!

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you have a photography room?

Here's a few photos of my photo and gear room.

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you have a photography room?

Here's a photo of a temporary small studio set up in a spare bedroom.

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:50 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you have a photography room?

I think you got more gear than some stores.

Oct 14, 2012 at 08:27 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you have a photography room?

Just purchased our first home and I finally have my own (small) studio space! I'd LOVE to lease a real studio space for my small business in the future but for now I'm a student and I'm very happy with what I've got. I wanted to also recommend the $20 Avenger chrome wall pins that made the entire backdrop system possible. Without them, my Avenger stands would have taken up sooo much space. These wall pins are fantastic!

Merry Christmas!

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you have a photography room?

Mine is too ugly to show. I took an area in my unfinished basement for my man cave. I have my computer here, 2 printers, one of which is an Epson 3800. I have a computer desk and a mat/framing desk 2 bookcases, a rack to hold matting material and old prints. A shelf for books.

My camera gear is stored upstairs in a closet and my tripod lives in the back of my pickup.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:03 PM
stevenvh
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you have a photography room?

ben egbert wrote:
Mine is too ugly to show.

haha...me too. But it's very functional and comfortable. I can highly recommend a drafting table as part of the setup. I edit on a large laptop and also have an old 20" (calibrated, IPS) monitor which live on the drafting table, but in less than 10 minutes I can clear that space and have an adjustable table top studio. The rest of my workspace corner consists of a home made benchtop of sanded plywood on file cabinets and supports in the corner. That space has printer, scanner, small parts bins, another monitor and older workstation, NAS and enough open space to sort/clean/fix gear.
Also, lots of shelves, wall space for snaps, dig photo frame, etc and a closet for gear storage.

It's low-budget, but so functional I haven't found any reason to upgrade even though I could easily.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:14 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you have a photography room?

I am lucky my wife lets me keep the soft box set up in the dining room SOME of the time, and my one camera bag is allowed to stay next to me on the couch!

Tripod? I have to keep the monopod in the closet!

Just kidding!! I guess I could use this for photography if I moved some tractors.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you have a photography room?

Hey I'm like Ben and Steve, ugly but functional. 12x18 ft room in the basement of our condo we moved to in July. Lots of room with big desk, areas for storage, framing, printing with the 3800 and tons of paper.
Maybe if I live long enough I'll make it look nicer But then again its only me in here so what the heck ! Save the money for gear.
Mike

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password