Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

surf monkey wrote:
I don't know about more customizable than the NEX.

Both dials can be customized with different functionality for each individual shooting mode and the direction can be changed as well.
All four buttons in silver can also be customized - shown in the photo below on the top right of the cam.
The arrow buttons can also be customized.

Great, thanks. It looks like they're both very customizable, which is super handy.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:06 AM
MrPacMan

p.2 #2 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Hi
The OM-D`s grip isn`t as deep as the Sony`s one....
I`m going to the US in March... maybe Sony will make 7n or something
Right now, I`m planning to buy the NEX7\n because of the sensor size, ergonomics and overall size.
I will have about 1,200$ on lenses.
Which lenses would you recommend? for 'every day'.

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Just a note on overall size...the native lenses for m4/3 are significantly smaller than the native lenses for NEX, and adapted lenses will tend to be larger as well, since you'll be using longer focal lengths for the same FOV.

The sensor size on the NEX can be somewhat of an advantage with adapted lenses if you prefer shallower depth of field. However, in image quality, there's very, very little difference between the two sensors aside from a slight resolution edge for the NEX. High ISO capability is identical.

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Jman13 wrote:
Just a note on overall size...the native lenses for m4/3 are significantly smaller than the native lenses for NEX, and adapted lenses will tend to be larger as well, since you'll be using longer focal lengths for the same FOV.

The sensor size on the NEX can be somewhat of an advantage with adapted lenses if you prefer shallower depth of field. However, in image quality, there's very, very little difference between the two sensors aside from a slight resolution edge for the NEX. High ISO capability is identical.

It depends on your needs, in terms of lenses. For me, upcoming Sony 35/1.8 OSS is actually smaller than the Leica 25/2, and the NEX-7 is smaller than the OM-D. The Sony 50/1.8 OSS is quite a bit larger than the m4/3 45/1.8, but the NEX-7 is smaller than the OM-D. Wide angle-wise, the new Sony 10-18 is smaller than the Panny 7-14, I believe, although I use the Sigma 19, and I think it may be larger than the equivalent m4/3 lens. Not sure.

In terms of adapted lenses, the tough thing is that, as the lenses get wider, they tend to get slower, and, if we're talking about M lenses, they tend to get larger, too, unless you're talking about teles. The CV 35/1.4 that the OP mentioned is a pretty fast 52mm equiv. on NEX, and it's harder to find an equivalently fast 25mm manual lens for m4/3, unless, of course, you go with the much, much larger 25/.95.

The big issue with the OM-D for me is the height from the "prism." Unless you maybe use pancakes, the lens length dimension of these cameras tends to be the longest dimension, anyways, so I'd rather have a little extra length in the lens dimension, rather than adding height to the shortest dimension, in terms of packability. Even if the OM-D + lenses is technically as small or smaller in volume than my NEX-7 with somewhat equivalent lenses, I couldn't put the OM-D in some of the slim bags that I like to use. I had the same problem with the NEX-5N with its EVF attached, which is partly why, although I like the 5N EVF's tilt, I traded it for the NEX-7.

I agree about IQ, for the most part, in that there seems to be little between the two in terms of low light performance, except maybe for the very high ISO. Granted, at least according to DXO, you do get a tangible DR difference at base ISO. I'm sure either of these sensors would make most happy.

edit* To add to the above, I should say that I think the OM-D looks really good, and, while the prism height is an issue for me, it does balance out the size of the lenses nicely. The NEX-7, being so short, really accentuates the lens size, in a bad way.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #5 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

MrPacMan wrote:
Right now, I`m planning to buy the NEX7\n because of the sensor size, ergonomics and overall size.

Sounds like a good choice, but really with the cameras you're interested in, there is no bad choice. These are all excellent image makers and it just comes down to personal preferences.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:49 PM
MrPacMan

p.2 #6 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Nice to meet you too, Yakim.
Happy shooting

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:31 PM
MrPacMan

p.2 #7 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Yakim Peled wrote:
That is the key word IMHO - good enough. We all strive for the best but it's a good idea to pause sometimes and evaluate what is good enough for us.

BTW, if all goes well I'll have the OM-D in a few weeks so you could actually compare it. Nice to see you here.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nice to meet you too, Yakim.
Happy shooting

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:32 PM
MrPacMan

p.2 #8 · From D7000 to a mirrorless?

Which camera is a better choise - NEX 7 or 6?

Oct 06, 2012 at 08:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password