Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

It was on 43rumors...

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

If you're shooting at 35mm, the 50mm setting may make your images blurrier...

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:48 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

FlyPenFly wrote:
If you're shooting at 35mm, the 50mm setting may make your images blurrier...

With my brief test a 50mm I.S. setting worked well for all focal lengths on my CY 35-70.
Maybe other lenses might have an issue with the "middle setting", but it seems to work in this case.

Obviously setting the I.S. focal length to match the specific focal length you're using would be better, but wouldn't always be a viable option.

These observations are for video only because the I.S. update is in regards to video.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:19 PM
Edgar M
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

Yeah... defo the best firmware.. just as big a deal as back in the day when Canon gave the 5D2 manual exposure for video. Now us video heads can use any MF lens!

I also wrote them a new short message:

"Thank you for giving us IBIS for adapted lenses in Video-mode.

In the future, can you please give us a firmware update with the following; in order to make this THE best HDSLR video-camera on the market And the ONLY with IBIS?

~ 24p: Every single other HDSLR has this option. Might as well give the OMD this options as it's also the only HDSLR with IBIS.

~ Higher video bitrates: Even though the OMD is the only HDSLR with a fantastic IBIS, at the same time it has the least amount of video-bitrate out of any other HDSLR. 30-50mbps would be perfect.

Thanks"

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:35 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

I know this is off the subject, but since we're talking video:
I'm getting very "noisy" video on fast moving objects, is this related to the IBIS?
Is there a way to fix this?

Specifics: shooting surfing with the OM-D + Oly 40-150 R - most of the noise is in the area around the surfer.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Edgar M
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

I think that would be more so related to the codec and its' low 17 mbps bitrate. Higher bitrates of 30-50mbps and a better codec (like every single other hdslr) will result in sharper subject clarity, less noise, more detail, on the subjects' edges, as well as any type of movement and panning in the video. Low bitrates will result in choppy edges of subject, artifacts on/around edges, as well as entire frame artifacts/noise during panning, etc.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

FlyPenFly wrote:
Using IS with a legacy Zoom is a bit of a pain.

Legacy means old manual focus lenses via adepter?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:31 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

FlyPenFly wrote:
Using IS with a legacy Zoom is a bit of a pain.

Yakim Peled wrote:
Legacy means old manual focus lenses via adepter?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

As I stated before the IS works well with my C/Y 35-70. I just set the OM-D's focal length in the IS menu setting to 50mm.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

10X.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:43 PM
GRM
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

I will consider buying again the OMD, only to get the stabilized manual lenses in video mode, if Olympus comes up with a different codec and higher bit rate. 17Mbps is extremely noisy and usable Only with a lot of grading. 24p would be even better but not a must.

Edit
I looked around and Cameta has refurbished silver OMD's with one year warranty for $849 with free shipping
Cameta omd

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:37 AM
Edgar M
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

Let's all start messaging Olympus and request for higher-bitrates, 24p and better video codecs:

https://support.olympus.co.jp/cf_secure/en/contact/index.cfm?consumer=ProDigitalSLR

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:02 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

surf monkey wrote:
As I stated before the IS works well with my C/Y 35-70. I just set the OM-D's focal length in the IS menu setting to 50mm.

I think this will lead to softer images at your shorter focal lengths.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Oly OM-D Firmware 1.5 Downloaded but I have no idea what is in it

While you may get marginally softer pics at less than ideal focal lengths, I've noticed that the OM-D does pretty well if you stay close, with no visible problems, really. When I shot the Memorial Tournament this summer, and used my Canon FD 50-300 f/4.5L, I used IS the whole time, and kept it set at 250mm, which gave me very good stability and sharpness from 200-300mm. If I was shooting significantly closer than that, I generally just switched it off for those shots, unless I'd be taking a lot at much shorter focal lengths. I didn't see any blurring artifacts...just sharp photos.

There appeared to be no real difference. Now, if you're set way low...well, that can cause some issues, but if you stay close, it does fine.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:57 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.