Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with yoga poses

Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help with yoga poses

Hey everyone, I'm writing to ask for help posing yogi's. I've done a very impromptu set as a test to find out what works and, if it's not too much to ask, would like ideas on how to best capture the poses. Here's some from the quick series we took.

IMG_6105 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_6060 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_5469 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_5177 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

IMG_5094 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

Feel free to comment on the lighting/exposure/setting but what I'm really looking for is advice on better angles and a more interesting perspective. Thank you for all your help.

Peter

Edited on Oct 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help with yoga poses

General, uninformed comment: I like #3 the best, otherwise the backgrounds compete with, and in an instance or two, overwhelm the subject. But then I have no idea of your goal....

Regards,

Bob

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #3 · Help with yoga poses

The main goal for these shots was to find out what angle/perspective to best photograph the poses. I'll find a better background (or do it in the studio like 1,2,&3) but would like suggestions for other angles.

Thanks

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #4 · Help with yoga poses

What a talented young lady. I agree with Bob that the backgrounds are competing for attention with the main attraction. Also, I think that this subject matter is more effectively photographed black and white. Getting closer to the subject will also help. And last, correct lighting of the subject is the most important element, emphasizing the contours of the body.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #5 · Help with yoga poses

Thank you, that's a great point -lighting to emphasize the contour of the body. I'll do some reading up on lighting and try again. btw i agree she is extremely talented!

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help with yoga poses

Before reading the comments my first thoughts were that she needs to be in better environments (or remove the environments from the photos), and the lighting could be improved. So I agree with those.

I love black and white, and think it could work well here. Color could also work well with the right lighting.

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:00 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Help with yoga poses

The first two have problems with shooting through visual obstructions that distort the image. The third would benefit from a crop. The backgrounds in the last two are rather cluttered and could also benefit from even less depth of field and some judicious cropping.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #8 · Help with yoga poses

AuntiPode wrote:
The first two have problems with shooting through visual obstructions that distort the image. The third would benefit from a crop. The backgrounds in the last two are rather cluttered and could also benefit from even less depth of field and some judicious cropping.

true, I was trying to portray the "through the yoga studio mirrors" imagery. It's how the person practicing sees through the mirror. I do agree that it came up short of my expectations, and yes the background is very distracting. We were out for a walk before she went to work and decided to see what we could come up with spur of the moment. Other than the background (which is easily changed) I'm more concerned about photographing the body in flattering ways while the yogi is posing. Yes, that is something I will have to work out on my own but would still like to hear any FM suggestions to spur my creativity.
Thank you for looking and please keep the suggestions coming.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:43 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Help with yoga poses

Try getting closer. Perhaps a wide angle lens. Consider a view/lens choice/lighting that doesn't an obvious snapshot look. Unless the scene is exceptional, you need to use other aspects to make an exceptional image of an unexceptional scene.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:01 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password