Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Xavier Rival
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

alundeb wrote:
Trekking is one of the things I would really like to do there some time.

Yes, it is really very nice to do, and all kinds of hikes can be organized there (from easy, short daily walks to strenuous north to south trek across the country). However, my feeling is that any trek over a couple of days should require some amount of organization to work out (mine was six days, with a guide and a support vehicle).

I also agree with MichaD that a "long week-end" is not optimal. I guess I would try to do at least 6 days Paris to Paris, which is not optimal, but better than nothing. I imagine a schedule for such a 6 days trip would be like:
- 1 day traveling to Keflavik + a few hours drive (possible to get close to a first location)
- 3.5 days of shooting, half a day driving back to Keflavik
- return flight on day 6.
That indeed does not allow to go to many locations (two sounds reasonable) nor to go very far away from Reykjavik...

Flights from Europe typically arrive in the mid afternoon; flights to Europe typically depart very early in the morning; I assume the flights from North America typically arrive very early in the morning while flights to North America leave in the late afternoon (so those coming from North America should expect n+1 full days in Iceland for n nights)...

Anyway, if this happens at a time where I am less busy, I would definetely try to do a 10 days trip.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Iceland is very cool, sorry I only have non alt images, 1Ds with L zoom I'm afraid.

and a few more:

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=189&userid=

Couple of tips, especially if as I assume you are doing summer. Don't plan on sleeping, you drive and shoot all night, we did this for a week with about 3 hours a night in the back of the car but we drove round the entire country. Get a 4X4, don't even think of getting a regular car, you will miss half the sites, lots of small streams that need fording. Keep it fully brimmed with gas. Watch out for the suicidal sheep. Don't get caught speeding even on the incredibly long and empty highways. It's an expensive ticket and they take it on the spot from your credit card .

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:43 PM
cyra
• • •
p.3 #3 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'd love to come too. I would prefer to stay 10 days or more. Seems not worth to rush in and out in a few days. One or two day hikes with lots of time to shoot would also be nice.
Before June I can't make it either 2013 or 2014, because I am busy filming in spring.
If I ever manage to get a decent long lens combo, I would also be interested in some birds/wildlife. But generally there is so much interesting landscape there, I wouldn't be bothered to much, to miss out on the wildlife.

In summer or autumn either year will be good.

Midsummer/summer sounds stregnous, I need more than 3h of sleep per day
a few hours around midday aren't bad either in a tent.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:41 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.3 #4 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Wow I would love to do this! We had two family vacations there, the last one almost ten years ago. We spent 5 or 6 weeks each time and it wasn't enough to see everything!
Though I think the idea about the weekend here was that there should be one "core" time, where the FM Alt crowd is together, and the rest of the time might be a subset of the people only...

Gonna follow this closely

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.3 #5 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Sounds like a great idea. For 2013 I've already planned other trips, but I would like to return to Iceland in 2014.
If you have a very limeted amount of time (less than one week), I would strongly suggest to concentrate on one area and not drive around the whole island.
My recommendation would be to stay either north of Reykjavik (Geysir, Gullfoss, Haifoss, Hraunfossar, Hveravellir, ...) or at the Vik i Myrdal area (Dyrholaey, Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Svartifoss, Jökulsarlon, ...).

Boris

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Just noticed this article recently on DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8461550907/winter-photography-in-iceland

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:38 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

cyra wrote:
I'd love to come too. I would prefer to stay 10 days or more. Seems not worth to rush in and out in a few days. One or two day hikes with lots of time to shoot would also be nice.
Before June I can't make it either 2013 or 2014, because I am busy filming in spring.
If I ever manage to get a decent long lens combo, I would also be interested in some birds/wildlife. But generally there is so much interesting landscape there, I wouldn't be bothered to much, to miss out on the wildlife.

In summer
...Show more

A long lens combo will be usable anyhow for me, also for landscape.

Hope you can make it :-)

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:17 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

jotdeh wrote:
Wow I would love to do this! We had two family vacations there, the last one almost ten years ago. We spent 5 or 6 weeks each time and it wasn't enough to see everything!
Though I think the idea about the weekend here was that there should be one "core" time, where the FM Alt crowd is together, and the rest of the time might be a subset of the people only...

Gonna follow this closely

Yes, the idea about the weekend was exactly that.

Right now, it seems like we gotta allocate one week, and plan for that. It might still be possible to catch up for "weekend warriors".

How nice to stay for so long as 6 weeks

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:21 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Beni wrote:
Iceland is very cool, sorry I only have non alt images, 1Ds with L zoom I'm afraid.

Couple of tips, especially if as I assume you are doing summer. Don't plan on sleeping, you drive and shoot all night, we did this for a week with about 3 hours a night in the back of the car but we drove round the entire country. Get a 4X4, don't even think of getting a regular car, you will miss half the sites, lots of small streams that need fording. Keep it fully brimmed with gas. Watch out for the suicidal sheep. Don't
...Show more

Thanks for your excellent advice and nice image contribution!

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:23 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Bobu wrote:
Sounds like a great idea. For 2013 I've already planned other trips, but I would like to return to Iceland in 2014.
If you have a very limeted amount of time (less than one week), I would strongly suggest to concentrate on one area and not drive around the whole island.
My recommendation would be to stay either north of Reykjavik (Geysir, Gullfoss, Haifoss, Hraunfossar, Hveravellir, ...) or at the Vik i Myrdal area (Dyrholaey, Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Svartifoss, Jökulsarlon, ...).

Boris

Looks like there is plenty market for a 2014 trip as well

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Xavier Rival wrote:
Just noticed this article recently on DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8461550907/winter-photography-in-iceland

Now this turns the schedule upside down

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:25 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'd opt for 10 days or more. Flights seem cheap from Stockholm so I wonder if any other Swede would like to make the jump? Apart from my then 10-yearold son that is :-)

If current interest materializes we should probably start to get some order soon, participator list (likely and maybe's) and set some kind of likely time ranges. For time I'd go for summer, mid-june to aug or something.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:10 PM
alwang
• • •
p.3 #13 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I would echo Bobu's advice: if you have less than one week, my personal recommendation would be to do the southern coast to Jokulsarlon. It is absolutely impossible to be disappointed with that itinerary, and you could do it pretty well with 5-6 days. With less than that, you probably need to just stay near Reykjavik.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:11 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.3 #14 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Note that some of the more dramatic locations require a 4x4 vehicle to be able to get there. The southern coast has plenty of locations to shoot and most can be reached by a normal car. You might also have to plan shooting depending on weather, it can be great and it can be equally bad/boring, so we need to "chase the light" for best results.

Hrannar

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:41 AM
hauxon
• • •
p.3 #15 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Some facts. Reykjavik is the biggest city with about 200.000 people. The biggest town in the north is Akureyri (20.000) and it takes about 5 hours to drive for Reykjavik to Akureyri if you mostly drive and don't stop too much. In the east the biggest town is Egilsstadir (3.000) and it takes you about 3 more hours getting there from Akureyri. You could also drive to Egilsstadir along the south coast from Reykjavik in about 8 hours.

Driving from Reykjavik to Jökulárlón (glacial lagoon) takes about 5 hours and much longer if one stops along the way to shoot. If the plan is visiting Jökulsárlón it's best to have the whole day for driving there and plenty of time to stop shooting the various locations on the way there. When arriving to the south east coast it would probably be best to find some place to stay for at least 1-2 nights for shooting in the area.

During the winter it's possible that the roads are covered with snow making it harder/slower to reach locations.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:02 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

hauxon wrote:
Note that some of the more dramatic locations require a 4x4 vehicle to be able to get there. The southern coast has plenty of locations to shoot and most can be reached by a normal car. You might also have to plan shooting depending on weather, it can be great and it can be equally bad/boring, so we need to "chase the light" for best results.

Hrannar

Thanks for chiming in! It is really nice that you want us over, and we will try not to make it a burden for you

"Chasing the light" could be a slogan, at least something we must never forget!

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:45 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

alwang wrote:
I would echo Bobu's advice: if you have less than one week, my personal recommendation would be to do the southern coast to Jokulsarlon. It is absolutely impossible to be disappointed with that itinerary, and you could do it pretty well with 5-6 days. With less than that, you probably need to just stay near Reykjavik.

Thank you! It seems that much of the advice goes in this direction.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:46 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Here is a list of people who have stated interest. I use screen names rather than real names just to be sure of the ID. I am pretty sure I have not overlooked anyone in this thread, but I may have misinterpreted the level of interest from some.

More participants are of course welcome

Please tell if you want to be moved to another group, or removed from the list.
If you don't want to clutter the thread with such requests, just send me a PM. If I am not available, I am fine if anyone in the first group maintains the list.

Seriously considering / planning
jcolwell
MichaD
wfrank
philber
Xavier Rival
rji2goleez
snowboarder
cyra
alundeb
Snopchenko
Andrew Gough
bobu
jotdeh

Will be around anyway
hauxon
kiddik

Will maybe join
pingflood
ken.vs.ryu
wayne seltzer
mhespenheide
Taylor Sherman
Xtobolic
JonasY
Joseph Marney
Kosmoskatten
Aaron Huang
harvey steeves
Jonas B

Maybe in 2014 or 2015
carstenw
bpark42
bobu
Jochenb

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:51 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Some gear pondering before we start looking at the calendar:

My main camera will (of course) be my newly acquired D800E.
As a backup / second camera, I will bring the NEX 7 with a Nikon adapter.

Since I am new to Nikon, I don't have many lenses in that mount. The ones I have are mostly relatively small and not overly expensive. My priority is sharpness edge to edge (except extreme corners that are likely to be cropped away for aspect ratio) and color correction stopped down.

Zeiss Planar 50 / 1.4
Voigtlander Nokton 58 / 1.4
Voigtlander APO Lanthar 90 / 3.5
Sigma 150 APO Macro OS

The Nokton 58 beats the Planar 50 at long distances by an easily visible margin.

The Sigma 150 is a bit heavy for travel.

I really like working with zooms in the wilderness, but none of the Nikon zooms get me excited. The 70-200 2.8 VR is not that good in the CA department.
Still I consider the 16-35 f/4 VR at the short end and for filters.

On the long end i consider just bringing the Sony 70-300G, with an EA-1 adapter. This is troublesome, as the long focal lengths excite me most even for landscape, and I would like to use the D800 up there.

So we will see.

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Xtobolic
• •
p.3 #20 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Maybe I'll join, depending on costs etc.

22 yr / m / The Netherlands

I'm a fit guy and could be ur 400/2.8 500/4 or 600/4 sherpa if you let me try it out .

Own gear:

zeiss 21 35/2, 50p, 85p, 100mp
canon 5dmk2, 24-105
Fuji X100

Oct 02, 2012 at 07:54 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password