Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jordan -- Great shots! Thanks!

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Gunzorro wrote:
Bobby -- Well, yes, a long time ago, like in the early 60s (and used into and 70s), most macro and close-up lenses were optimized for copy work -- close up flat field, and weren't so great for general shooting.

But since then, the rule has been sharp from close-up to infinity. Outstanding examples from the 70s are the Nikon AI 55/3.5 and the Canon FD 50/3.5 -- among others. These days, if you want stellar results at all distances, look to lenses like Canon 100L and Nikon's 105, again, among many others.

You might want to preface your remarks
...Show more

Thanks for clarifying this, Jim. I have just exposed my age, haven't I? I wanted to say John Shaw books but some younger folks will wondering who the hell is John Shaw. Yup, I am still harboring some old school theories. I guess with the newer floating element macro lenses you get sharpness right up to infinity.

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:45 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

I want one, who has stock

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:54 AM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

bobbytan wrote:
Thanks for clarifying this, Jim. I have just exposed my age, haven't I? I wanted to say John Shaw books but some younger folks will wondering who the hell is John Shaw. Yup, I am still harboring some old school theories. I guess with the newer floating element macro lenses you get sharpness right up to infinity.

Who doesn't know who John Shaw is? (I'm not super young, but I'm not old...34).

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Steve Beck wrote:
I want one, who has stock

No one right this second, but the US Olympus store has been getting little bits of stock here and there...if you pre-order, you may very well get one soon. That's where I got mine.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

bobbytan wrote:

Ha-ha! I'm right there with you Bobby!

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:45 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

looks like it's time to visit my local pusher...er dealer. Haven't even finished selling to cover the 12/2 and the 75/1.8.

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Oh good. Hey we have to meet up sometime with my photographer buddy Joshua Ong, whom I believe you have met.

Gunzorro wrote:
Ha-ha! I'm right there with you Bobby!

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:30 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Tell me about it. My 85/1.2L II has to go soon.

CVickery wrote:
looks like it's time to visit my local pusher...er dealer. Haven't even finished selling to cover the 12/2 and the 75/1.8.

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:33 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman13 wrote:
Who doesn't know who John Shaw is? (I'm not super young, but I'm not old...34).

Never heard of him. I am 46. Is he a U.S. phenomenon?

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Antje
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

carstenw wrote:
Never heard of him. I am 46. Is he a U.S. phenomenon?

I think so. He's their Pölking, but I enjoyed his books on photography far more than Pölking's. More love, less ranting, totally free of "Oberlehrer" attitude . They're probably a bit outdated now, for instance, the books I have also dwell on choosing the right film and such. But the main principles still apply, and the images he shows are IMHO very inspirational.

Antje

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:13 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.2 #12 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Anyone have stock? I want one

Sep 27, 2012 at 09:52 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Antje wrote:
I think so. He's their Pölking, but I enjoyed his books on photography far more than Pölking's. More love, less ranting, totally free of "Oberlehrer" attitude . They're probably a bit outdated now, for instance, the books I have also dwell on choosing the right film and such. But the main principles still apply, and the images he shows are IMHO very inspirational.

Randomly, I have heard of Pölking I am not German though, but I am familiar with the "style" of older German photography books, which I find quite overbearing and overly technical. I guess my Shaw/Pölking would be John Hedgecoe.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jeez - I just ordered my Oly 75 and now this . . . hmmm, what can I sell?

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Antje
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

rji2goleez wrote:

A kidney? That's what I'm considering.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

rji2goleez wrote:

Sell your Canon gear piece-meal ... which is what I am doing.

Had a look at your website and I see that you shoot a lot of seascapes. If you ever need a variable ND filter consider the new Fader HD multi-coated glass filter. What I like about this particular filter (compared to the other variable ND filter brands) ... apart from "HD multi-coated glass" labeling ... is that it has a threading on the outer rim ... so you can attach a generic lens hood to the filter. And I would get one of those telescopic rubber hoods ... so you can use the ND filter on other lenses as well. I got the 58mm filter (for the Oly 75) and a 62mm Adorama telematic lens hood ... plus a 46-58mm step-up adaptor/ring ... so I could also use this filter+hood combo on my PL 25/1.4 and Oly 60 macro lenses.

The main reason I got the variable ND filter is to be able to use the 75 lens at wider apertures in bright light ... as the 1/4000 sec maximum shutter speed won't allow you to open up your aperture too much!

PS: You have some awesome landscape/seascape images on your site! Love them.

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

I've actually found the DR on the E-M5 to enable me to shoot as wide as f/1.4 in bright sunlight and recover everything in RAW for proper exposure (so, pulling two stops or so). You'll lose some specular highlights, but I haven't found it to be a problem in most situations.

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Good to know ... although I am always somewhat skeptical or nervous about deliberately crossing the right line.

Fred Miranda: We need a dedicated forum for Micro 4/3 as more and more DSLR shooters are adopting or migrating to MFT. Would be nice to see all the MFT discussions separate from the Alt Gear Forum.

Jman13 wrote:
I've actually found the DR on the E-M5 to enable me to shoot as wide as f/1.4 in bright sunlight and recover everything in RAW for proper exposure (so, pulling two stops or so). You'll lose some specular highlights, but I haven't found it to be a problem in most situations.

Sep 27, 2012 at 06:00 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.2 #19 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Roger Cicala got his hands on the lens: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/quick-look-at-the-olympus-60mm-f2-8-macro

Not that high Imatest results, surpisingly, for non-macro distances.

Kaa

Sep 28, 2012 at 07:38 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

You've become an MFT militant quit it.

bobbytan wrote:
Good to know ... although I am always somewhat skeptical or nervous about deliberately crossing the right line.

Fred Miranda: We need a dedicated forum for Micro 4/3 as more and more DSLR shooters are adopting or migrating to MFT. Would be nice to see all the MFT discussions separate from the Alt Gear Forum.

Sep 28, 2012 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password