Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

thedruid wrote:
Why bother you are going to loose a lot of $ moving for little gain unless you are printing beyond 24".

i switched and owned some of the lenses on your list plus a few other top end canon lenses. i didn't loose a lot of money.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:21 PM
CalBoy87
• •
p.2 #2 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

thedruid wrote:
Why bother you are going to loose a lot of $ moving for little gain unless you are printing beyond 24".

OK, how much gain exactly is it? I don't print at all, except occasional 6x7. I am hoping that the superior sensor of D800 will show up on screen as well as on print. Deeper blacks, no visible banding, higher DR, not to mention resolution - aren't those thing suppose to look much better on the 40 LCD? If difference is really marginal, I am staying on my shore, but I was hoping for the "wow" factor here.
As for losing money, it may not look so bad. Where I live (South Korea) many photogs are trading fear constantly. Our FM B/S forum look small in comparison (they got about 300-400 ad per day). Many are trading Canon/Nikon, so I can probably swap 24L + flash for 24G. 85 and 100 Macro are almost same in price here, so no worry. That left 135L and 200/2.8 to get 135/2 or trade them both for Sigma 180 Macro and EF100L Macro for 60G Macro. I might loose some money, but it shouldn't be so painful.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
TEAM KEN
• •
p.2 #3 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

If it feels good, do it!
I did, and couldn't be happier..

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM
CalBoy87
• •
p.2 #4 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Jman13 wrote:
My opinion: If you can't take great pictures with your current gear, you aren't going to get great pictures with ANY gear. Even if there were a SLIGHT improvement in technical capabilities of the D800...unless you are printing like 60" wide prints regularly, you will never see it in use.

Hell, I switched from Canon FF to micro 4/3, and I don't see any tangible difference in technical output (and my photography has improved because I have more fun with my gear now). The minute differences in the 5DII vs the D800 are just not going to be seen in
...Show more
I am sure most of my pictures are not great, but I am happy with them. So, you are saying that is impossible to see advantages of D800 over 5DMkII on screen? All those improved DR, nicer blacks and additional 16 MP doesn't add to anything tangible? I really love to see exact same shot, taken with both D800 and 5DMkII with similar prime lens and see myself what exactly is the difference, how much better look are we talking about?
As for FF vs smaller format, I used 40D and 550D, when I got 5D, I noticed a difference right away, it was different look. On top of it, I like shallow DOF, which is much easier to achieve with large sensor.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

CalBoy87 wrote:
I am sure most of my pictures are not great, but I am happy with them. So, you are saying that is impossible to see advantages of D800 over 5DMkII on screen? All those improved DR, nicer blacks and additional 16 MP doesn't add to anything tangible? I really love to see exact same shot, taken with both D800 and 5DMkII with similar prime lens and see myself what exactly is the difference, how much better look are we talking about?
As for FF vs smaller format, I used 40D and 550D, when I got 5D, I noticed a difference right
...Show more

I think you already know what the answer is. Time to just do it!

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM
bentarrow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

what are you going to do when canon releases a 40+mp camera? are you going to ditch nikon and jump back to canon?

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #7 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

bentarrow wrote:
what are you going to do when canon releases a 40+mp camera? are you going to ditch nikon and jump back to canon?

I think Nikon will match Canon with a 40+ mp body also. It probably will be Nikon's flagship model

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:14 AM
bentarrow

p.2 #8 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

They wont unless Sony makes them a new sensor

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:45 AM
CalBoy87
• •
p.2 #9 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

bentarrow wrote:

, that's a good question. My confidence in Canon's sensor is a bit shaken, so not really sure when it will happen. Also, my next DLSR will be last one, as I get older, lugging FF with 2-3 primes starts killing the fun. I probably will use for next 5-6 years and settle for FF compact,which should be plenty to choose from in 2018 I will made switch only if I am sure I am happy with it. When I was getting Canon, 5DMkII seems better than D700, Canon lenses were cheaper and Canon has much more of them. Now situation seems to reverse a bit, but as I said, this is my last DLSR, so I want to make it a best one. I will still wait until end of October to proceed, but want to get general opinion first.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:56 AM
ReyGay
• • •
p.2 #10 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

CalBoy87 wrote:
.... I rather have 6 great lenses, than 1 great body.

+ 1 million

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

When I made the switch from Canon to Nikon it was a camera rather than lenses that motivated me, much like it appears to be for you. I was shooting with the 5D and had the 24L, 35L, 50L 85L, 135L, a 17-40L, 28-70L and two 70-200L lenses. But the D700 was such a compelling camera, both as an idea before I bought it and as a reality once I did that I needed to continue my Nikon adventure. What tipped the balance for me were the incredible manual focus lenses made by Nikon that I was able to mount on my D700. Canon made the decision in 1989 to abandon their FD manual focus lenses when creating their EOF lens mount. That led to the development of some outstanding lenses but left MF shooting for those willing to buy adaptors and search out alternative lenses.

I eventually sold my entire Canon kit. No doubt, the most painful loss was the 85 f/1.2L which had long been my favorite lens. But eventually, I bought the 85 f/1.4 AI-s, a wonderful manual focus lens.

Having said that, I'm not under any illusion that my great appreciation and enjoyment of Nikon manual focus lenses would energize other photographers. But it would be a mistake not to at least consider the fact that Nikon offers a possibility not open to Canon shooters, to use legacy manual focus lenses that not only can be mounted on a camera, but will meter as well. I've gone from one MF lens to 31 and have never enjoyed photography as I do right now. Are all these MF lenses the very best lenses available on the market? No, but they give me the opportunity to explore photography in a new and refreshing way.

You might want to check out the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread where you'll find dozens of people from around the world who are having a great time shooting with manual focus lenses mounted on Nikon DSLR cameras, including the D800. We are having a gas!

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:11 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #12 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Thorsten wrote:
I love my D800, but in your case I would not switch. Especially since you have so many excellent lenses that you like and are used to. The lenses are the main ingredient in an image (aside from the photographer). Cameras have become disposable. What are you going to do if the 5DMk4 is better than the D810, sell all your Nikon lenses and buy the Canon lenses back?

Regarding your primes, you would be happy with the 24G, you'll adjust to the 85G, you will deeply miss your 50 and 135mm lenses, and there is no Nikon 200/2.8 (you'd
...Show more

I shoot D-700's and love them, and will get an 800E when Nikon sorts out their problems. However, I echo the opinion in your regards not to switch. The 5D3 is a great camera, my buddy loves his. I would either go to the 5D3 or wait for the Canon that is rumored for next year (40 some MP maybe?).

Glass is your most important element, all things being equal. Keep that in mind ahead of anything else in your decision making process.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:31 AM
dimitris77
• • •
p.2 #13 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I think in your case I would stick with what I have. Selling everything will cost you money and Nikon lenses tend to be less and more expensive in the used market. If you want something different get some zeiss or some old nikkor glass. As a previous poster said you can use old nikkor glass with an adapter on canon and to be honest it works better than on nikons because its easier to focus them either from viewfinder or with live view. Also don't forget paper has 1/2 the dynamic range of a sensor so if you think you will see difference in print especially at small size think again. If you really need extended dynamic range try hdr. The 5dmk3 has a lot better in camera hdr btw. Finally if your computer isn't up to par you will need a new computer with the d800.

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:14 AM
bentarrow

p.2 #14 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I had 5d mk 1 with 35L,85L,16-35mk2,24-70,70-200

Discovered Zeiss and my shooting style changed so I was enjoying MF lens more than AF lenses that Canon was offering... not to mention Zeiss lenses feels great, so it does improve your shooting experience. I sold off 35,85,16-35mk2,24-70 and switched to primes for Nikon Mount as it had manual aperture control.
21mm ZF2, 35mm Samyang Nikon Mount, 100 makro zf2 and kept 70-200.

When I was purchasing my 5dmk2, I was having the same problem... d700 felt like the better camera for stills but you were getting so much more with 5dmk2, so I bought that instead.

Attached all my nikon manual glasses on 5dmk2 with an adaptor and using them on my NEX as well. This is my current setup and so far so good.

I am in the same situation as you cause I do want to go d800E but I want to wait and see what canon will do before I make the switch.. by then Nikon would sort out their AF problems and I can sell off my 5dmk2 and 70-200mm and I wont look back to Canon ever.

They are releasing products that is not up to the same level.

Sony right now makes the best sensor, Nikon was smart to ride Sony on this one.

CalBoy87 wrote:
, that's a good question. My confidence in Canon's sensor is a bit shaken, so not really sure when it will happen. Also, my next DLSR will be last one, as I get older, lugging FF with 2-3 primes starts killing the fun. I probably will use for next 5-6 years and settle for FF compact,which should be plenty to choose from in 2018 I will made switch only if I am sure I am happy with it. When I was getting Canon, 5DMkII seems better than D700, Canon lenses were cheaper and Canon has much more of them.
...Show more

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:15 AM
CalBoy87
• •
p.2 #15 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

CGrindahl wrote:
Having said that, I'm not under any illusion that my great appreciation and enjoyment of Nikon manual focus lenses would energize other photographers. But it would be a mistake not to at least consider the fact that Nikon offers a possibility not open to Canon shooters, to use legacy manual focus lenses that not only can be mounted on a camera, but will meter as well. I've gone from one MF lens to 31 and have never enjoyed photography as I do right now. Are all these MF lenses the very best lenses available on the market? No, but they
...Show more
Funny you said that, as about 3 years ago I had close to 10 Olympus OM Zuiko lenses. OM 35/2, 50/1.2 and 135/2.8 were my favorites. What I was using them with? Canon 5D with OM adapter. I really had blast with them, and if I had LV of 5DMkII I would probably still use them. As it was, their price went trough the roof with the micro 43 development and I eventually sold all of them. I like older lenses, and I am waiting for F adapter to use Nikkor 50/1.2 on 5DMKII, like to compare it with 50L. Again, speaking of MF, D800 doesn't have option for changing focusing screen, while EG-S screen is really helpful on Canon, so this is another thing to consider, as I like MF on the fast primes.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:25 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

There are focusing screens available for Nikon cameras from Katz Eye that some folks choose. Frankly, I have no difficulty focusing with the standard screen, even when shooting with MF lenses at f/1.2. The D800 and other prosumer and professional cameras have a non-CPU register which allow you to inform the camera of up to nine lenses you wish to use, noting the focal length as well as the fastest aperture. This means that as you adjust aperture in Aperture Priority the camera will meter and select the appropriate shutter speed. And if you opt for Manual Mode and select Auto ISO, the camera will determine the ISO required for the aperture and shutter speed you select. It is remarkably easy to use manual focus Nikkor lenses with the D800, I shot with that camera for week using only MF lenses. I didn't ultimately conclude that the D800 is so compelling an upgrade that I'd sell my D700, but I concluded it would be a fine camera for shooting with MF lenses.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:28 AM
zesto
• •
p.2 #17 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

Certainly one of the main advantages of the Nikon system is the ability, as pointed out by CGrindahl, to be able to use the beautifully made legacy manual focus Nikkors. Another advantage is the Nikon Creative Lighting System - it's very good.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:09 AM
CalBoy87
• •
p.2 #18 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

OK, how about some primes than. I believe I will be happy with 24.4 and 85.4G, although 85L has some great bokeh in it. 50L as nice as it is, maybe replaced with either Sigma or 50.4G. That's where my wisdom ends. I need 135, 200 and Macro. I am considering killing two flying creatures by getting 200.4 Macro, which can double as telephoto, but how good is it at that, telephoto street candids? Seems like awfully huge lens compared to Canon 200/2.8. And last how about 135.2D to replace 135L, Canon lens is really great, can I be happy with Nikon version of it?

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM
recordproducti
• •
p.2 #19 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

I'm much happier with my 35 f/1.4 than I was with my 35L - and I thought the 35L was great! I've also found the Nikon 24-70 to be really, really good, substantially better than the 24-70L though not been able to compare to the mkII.

Anyway, Canon's 85L is awesome and there's not a Nikon alternative at f/1.2 and the Canon 135L is also brilliant, I was very disappointed at the Nikon alternative.

It's swings and roundabouts really, some things better for Nikon and some for Canon. There is no doubt about the D800e IQ and DR but the 5DmkIII is a faster camera. Both make great cameras and lenses. I've found the switch from the 5DmkII to be slow and a bit difficult but I am now convinced my work has stepped up a gear, maybe forcing yourself to learn new things is a good thing, maybe being 'comfortable' is a place for people who have stopped moving forwards.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · on the verge: 5DMkII to D800 - advice request

zesto wrote:
Certainly one of the main advantages of the Nikon system is the ability, as pointed out by CGrindahl, to be able to use the beautifully made legacy manual focus Nikkors.

You can also use all of those legacy Nikkors on Canon cameras too...

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:01 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password