Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom: After pressing "B&W" button, ima...

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom: After pressing "B&W" button, image now is monochrome in a color that is not neutral grey

How do I get it to be neutral grey, instead of say, blue. black and white? Even after flattening all the RGB curves I still get a sort of sepia-toned image, and I would like to keep all my RGB curves because it's carefully calibrated to adjust the contribution of each channel to the image. I would like to keep the split tonings, etc. just have everything in grey.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom: After pressing "B&W" button, image now is monochrome in a color that is not neutral grey

Probably because your monitor needs to be color profiled, or it's a color reversal perception effect. Or your brightness is too high on your monitor.

Have you tried making the conversion then closing LR or stepping away for 15-30 minutes so that you have a fresh eye on the conversion? I used to see B&W pictures with a cold tone that no one else could see, and I just chalk it up to my perception.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom: After pressing "B&W" button, image now is monochrome in a color that is not neutral grey

As Dave said, probably a monitor/profile/eyeball issue. Unless you're applying a tone farther down the stack, Lightroom's B&W mode is perfectly neutral.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:13 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom: After pressing "B&W" button, image now is monochrome in a color that is not neutral grey

jrs5fg wrote:
How do I get it to be neutral grey, instead of say, blue.

As others have mentioned, the image may be neutral, but your monitor may make it look colored.

Here's a test image; if it isn't pure shades of gray on your screen then you have a monitor problem.

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password