Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Frame worthy?

Nickyb21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Frame worthy?

Hey guys, I'm not a pro by any means but I'm proud of two photos I have captured so far and would like to frame either on or both. One is of Zoey, my Belgium Malinois and the other is of Zoey and the old lady. Well I have two questions. First, as far as printing it out professionally and framing it, I'm lost. Do it just take it to Hunt's and have them do it or what? Sorry but I've never done it before other then a quick print at cvs and a dollar frame.

Second, editing. The first two photos are the ones I want to be framed. They are the originals and the second set are the edited versions. My skills are weak especially since I only have light-room (just got it and don't know how to use it) and I'm a complete novice with that, photoshop will be here soon which I am MUCH MUCH more familiar with. What are your thoughts, the post-picture of just zoey seems a bit yellow. Feel free to take a crack at it. I also have original sizes if anyone wants.

thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #2 · Frame worthy?

Printing - I have my photos printed at a local camera shop. They do a nice job printing. Certainly better than what I've seen from places like CVS. I'm sure in Boston there are camera shops that will do a fine job printing. You might also look into local pro photo development places. These folks only do printing and will do a excellent job. There are also some online options that are great. I've never done this because of the cost of shipping, and my desire to get them as soon as possible.

Frames - For mounting I tape the photo to the mat using a couple pieces of photo tape (it's non-acidic, etc). This allows you to easily move the photos to new frames. It also allows the photo and the other framing materials to move mostly independently of each other so that you don't get wrinkling. It's also cheap and easy.

For frames I've been using Frame Destination http://www.framedestination.com/ I get simple matte black metal frames with good white mattes and the UV filtering non-glare acrylic. For photos I like simple frames that let the artwork stand on its own rather than over the top ones with fancy finishes or colors.

I haven't purchased one in about a year or so, but at the time I paid about $150 plus shipping for two 20x26 frames (for 16x20 prints). It's not cheap, but it was less expensive than any local place and I thought it was a fair price for the size and quality. When finished, it looked really good with the B&Ws that I put in there. Color would probably look great also.

Processing - This might be difficult with these photos. Lightroom is excellent. I use it for everything. But these two look like they're pretty over exposed. Even though the processed ones are better, you can still see all the white spots in the that are blown out. It's going to be difficult or impossible to recover those.

I tend to think there are two aspects to photos like these. The first is the emotional connection you have to them. The second is the technical/artistic side of things. It's something I picked up watching my wife and mother-in-law go through my photos. They always gravitate toward the ones with the people they know in them, even if they are technically inferior to many of the other photos. I do the opposite and tend to choose the ones that are technically superior, but probably not to the same extent that a complete outsider would.

For you I'm sure the emotional connection is good because you have a relationship with both of the subjects. On the artistic/technical side of things, they're not quite as successful. The photo of Zoey has a rather awkward composition, it's overexposed, and I think it's not doing a great job capturing her personality. The other photo has more potential. It could use some heavy cropping. This will also help you remove a lot of the blown out areas in the trees. I'll try fiddling with it when I'm back on my other computer.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Frame worthy?

Mister Bean has provided thoughtful and detailed feedback.
I too use framedestination and typically do my own printing. Unlike Mr B, I use glass. However framedestination and many others will not ship glass on larger items because of the high risk of breakage.
While I dont use them, there are a number of sites that will let you upload an image, print it, mat it, frame it and mail it to you. Maybe others will know which places. I might check with Adorama and BayPhoto.
I agree with the technical feedback as well.
If you shot RAW and want to place a link to the originals, I and others will give it a go.
I think you are likely to shoot some better pics of your dog with more practice. The odd head tilt is off-putting. Try getting on eye level with your dog, choose a less busy background, shoot fairly wide open (low aperture) to blur the background. Make sure you get the focus on the eyes. A ball or a treat held off camera might draw the dog's attention and eyes where you want them.

Scott

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #4 · Frame worthy?

Wow, thanks for the wisdom!!!! Tons of good advice here. I didn't even realize how blown out these pictures were (I'm a newb) but now I can clearly see. I think I will make a cheap print for now and wait till I capture something much better.

Thanks!!!!!

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:42 PM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Frame worthy?

I like the second one, want to email me a file an let me see what I can do with it?

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password