Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              64      
       66              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.65 #1 · p.65 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I am going to have to investigate my options during the night. I don't want to spread out images left and right on different photo hosts so I'll try to evaluate and cancel the ones I don't need.

Can anyone suggest a decent free image web host that does not degrade your images?

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.65 #2 · p.65 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Have you tried 500px? I believe that if you stay below their 900px max size they don't downsize. And in case this is important to you for privacy reasons, they are in Canada.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #3 · p.65 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kosmoskatten, if possible please DP1M images without crops.
Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.65 #4 · p.65 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Henrik, I prepare images for here on my Mac, using the workflow that others have described, and then resize to 1200 on the long slde for Fred's site. Fred allows direct uploading.

I have found that only 100% crops from PS can show the pixel level detail that this camera has, so include that if it's important as a second image.

BTW all you SPP users: can the arrow control of the colour wheel control work in the Mac OS environment? I find moving the color wheel dot with the mouse an exercise in futility, pretty much. And for people work, I have taken to including a color checker card... it really interrupts the spontaneity of the moment, but I find getting neutral colour difficult otherwise.

Luis, a full DP2 Merrill image exceeds the capacity of any photography site that I know, so I don't think anyone will be able to do that.

Jan 27, 2013 at 09:57 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.65 #5 · p.65 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

kosmoskatten wrote:
Can anyone suggest a decent free image web host that does not degrade your images?

photobucket does not alter your image files at all as long as you don't exceed 1024 pixels, and they support direct links for embedding.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #6 · p.65 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis; as I wrote I was trying to upload no crops but they looked like crap when they were rescaled so I will try again and change sizes first.

Kit/alundeb/Carsten; will look into it. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #7 · p.65 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Understood .-)

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #8 · p.65 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

alundeb: aha, I made them roughly 1200px wide hence the shabby results, will correct it when I get back to the other computer and try again.

Luis: :-)

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM
mordicai
• •
p.65 #9 · p.65 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Henrik, I prepare images for here on my Mac, using the workflow that others have described, and then resize to 1200 on the long slde for Fred's site. Fred allows direct uploading.

I have found that only 100% crops from PS can show the pixel level detail that this camera has, so include that if it's important as a second image.

BTW all you SPP users: can the arrow control of the colour wheel control work in the Mac OS environment? I find moving the color wheel dot with the mouse an exercise in futility, pretty much. And for people
...Show more
FYI: I can not get the arrows to work on my MAC. I keep asking for help with no re[lies so I assume they do NOT work. As to the OP question......I am happy with Flickr. Free but I subscribe to get unlimited MB's. Flickr has the option to view in origianal size.

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.65 #10 · p.65 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
Have you tried 500px? I believe that if you stay below their 900px max size they don't downsize. And in case this is important to you for privacy reasons, they are in Canada.

Yep, Im using them too. I have some pics on Tumblr and it doesnt seem to downsize or cripple quality (at least my 1000px pics are at same size as uploaded). No idea whats size limit on Tumblr tho. 500px uses lvl 10 or 11 compression if Im correct.

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #11 · p.65 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I know that the Merrill´s files are huge; I tried some. You´re right.
I meant "no crop" the original angle of view/point of view of the 19mm lens.

If someone with both cameras could do me a favor and take a shot of the exact same subject with DP1&2 it would be great. So I could compare side by side the 19mm vs 30mm views. That would help me a lot to conclude which one I do prefer and order.

Thanks very much in advance.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #12 · p.65 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

One more thing, please (and you all are being of great help over the last weeks; so thank you):

I work for offset printing (quality magazines, record sleeves, etc), so my images must be 300 dpi as some of you must well know.
Starting with a DP1M or DP2M file, exporting with SPP with the highest (16?) bits as a TIFF.
The result I think is a TIFF/180dpi image with 26x17 inches (66x44cm). 180dpi aren´t enough for me.
So resize.
With Photoshop open there and resize WITHOUT interpolation for 300 dpi what are the final dimensions? Inches and centimeters.

I only have one Sigma RAW file to make this test. So to confirm my results...
Thanks again.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #13 · p.65 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis; when weather allows (crap at the moment) I can do a DP1M + DP2M comparison shot - no problem.

I tried finding some way to export the Sigma files in higher res than 180 (which I find is not enough) but since there isn't any I have to resize in PS to 300. I wish SPP would provide that option. I haven't figured out the nominal output size. The files seem to take to uprezzing very well though.

The DP1M produces very nice results and after letting them mature a bit on the computer and returning after a day I find that they look even better because the first time around I look for flaws and the second time I see it for what it is, if you understand what I mean.

The Color Wheel is crap on the SPP even though I use a wacom board and I am familiar with the concept. Me no gusta.

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:07 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #14 · p.65 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Ok, trying now:

DP1Merrill 19mm:

crop1024_0192 by koruNZ, on Flickr

1024_0197 copy by koruNZ, on Flickr

previous crop again:

crop_0197 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Impressions:
camera is very slippery to handle without extra grip. I got the Flip Bac grip for both cameras and ordered two sizes, the larger size (still quite small) fits cameras well and makes for a much improved grip and does not add any bulk and does not prevent the camera from slipping in and out of the smaller bags.
Will include picture of camera with grip.

Menu system ok. Not much to dig into and pretty straightforward. AF / focus points easy to change and adequate though I would have liked some more extension to the cluster.

Handling decent. Well, actually pretty good considering I wore thin gloves and it was minus 15 to 17 C out.

LCD screen hard to see in bright light (no surprise) shutter release somewhat responsive. Feels very point&shootish in handling and since you can't tilt the LCD it is worse in handling than many of the competitors.

Files do look very nice though. Colors are a bit muted but pretty much on target and not overcooked. Pictures can look a bit anemic straight out of the camera. The Auto WB seems a bit off so I think I will use "Outdoor" settings instead. I haven't dialed in a good work flow for the files and it is certainly different from what I am used to but I'll get there eventually.

Overall I was not too excited with how the camera handles but after viewing the results I had to admit that the little soap-on-a-string camera is very capable. It gives me the same sensation as when I tried a Fuji RF medium format camera once - very plasticky but the results are great.

I did order the lens shade for the DP1M and once fitted it will not come off.

Immediate dislike:
handling without extra grip
hard to see LCD and no tilt
input wheel around shutter button feels flimsy
writing times slow even with fast card, buffer "ok" though
(not camera related) SPP quirky and slow
lens flare prone
Sigma = Stigma brand for me
high ISO and shadow noise excessive
low exposure latitude

very nice lens
highlight recovery in SPP better than expected
files seem to be malleable in post and uprez nicely
essentially moiré free

Not sure:
colors

Even though it has been a few years since I was involved with professional printing and my A3+ printer is retired so I can't make any practical tests at home I think that the files will print VERY well. When exposed for open shade and with some high light pull back (watching out for high light halo and HDR like side effects) the files look promising.

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:26 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #15 · p.65 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I wish I had brought the DP2M at the above outing since that focal length would have worked for a number of shots.

At the far left in the background of the first shot is a large bridge called Västerbron (Westerbridge) and from the Centralbron (Central Bridge) where I am standing the loop is roughly 7km and this is where I do most of my city running. I am always giving the Västerbron the evil eye from Centralbron on every passing.

Unfortunately bringing two cameras on the city runs is out of the question but on the next outing I will bring both cameras for sure.

Jan 28, 2013 at 02:56 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #16 · p.65 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

tree_0179 by koruNZ, on Flickr

schparkle0182 by koruNZ, on Flickr

Visiting a friend, going for a short stroll.

Bottom image unsharpened (-2 in SPP) and left as is before downsizing. Original very crisp.
Not sure what to make of the SPP fill light yet. Some images look like they were shot with a polarizing filter when you play around with them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:25 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.65 #17 · p.65 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha wrote:
One more thing, please (and you all are being of great help over the last weeks; so thank you):

I work for offset printing (quality magazines, record sleeves, etc), so my images must be 300 dpi as some of you must well know.
Starting with a DP1M or DP2M file, exporting with SPP with the highest (16?) bits as a TIFF.
The result I think is a TIFF/180dpi image with 26x17 inches (66x44cm). 180dpi aren´t enough for me.
So resize.
With Photoshop open there and resize WITHOUT interpolation for 300 dpi what are the final dimensions? Inches and centimeters.

I only have one Sigma RAW
...Show more

Digital files don't have a dpi. They may have an ASSIGNED dpi, and that is arbitrary and can be whatever you set it to. If you want one million dpi - no problem. but the resulting size will be very small.

Digital files are unitless pixel-size - what you need is dimensions in pixels x pixels. Then divide by dpi, and you get size in inch.

If the DP1M, you have 4704x3136 normally active pixels. Divide by your wanted dpi, get size in inch.
4704/300 = 17.7inches
3136/300 = 10.4inches

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #18 · p.65 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

kosmoskatten wrote:
Luis; when weather allows (crap at the moment) I can do a DP1M + DP2M comparison shot - no problem.

I tried finding some way to export the Sigma files in higher res than 180 (which I find is not enough) but since there isn't any I have to resize in PS to 300. I wish SPP would provide that option. I haven't figured out the nominal output size. The files seem to take to uprezzing very well though.

The DP1M produces very nice results and after letting them mature a bit on the computer and returning after a day
...Show more

Thanks very much for the help and effort. All your info is very welcome.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:40 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.65 #19 · p.65 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

theSuede wrote:
Digital files don't have a dpi. They may have an ASSIGNED dpi, and that is arbitrary and can be whatever you set it to. If you want one million dpi - no problem. but the resulting size will be very small.

Digital files are unitless pixel-size - what you need is dimensions in pixels x pixels. Then divide by dpi, and you get size in inch.

If the DP1M, you have 4704x3136 normally active pixels. Divide by your wanted dpi, get size in inch.
4704/300 = 17.7inches
3136/300 = 10.4inches

Thank you for the clarification.
I knew this but could not dress it in words as good as you did.
When I meant that I would get back to Luis with the output size I meant the nominal output size at 300 dpi, given the pixel dimensions. Roughly A3 in print.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.65 #20 · p.65 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

YES! I guess your´re right; theSuede. Digital files are pixels by pixels without any particular number of dpi correspondence. DPI´s (dots per inch) are simply not their unit for dimensions, but pixels. Makes sense. It´s correct.
Using "your formula" and making a fast comparison:
Sigma can give me a 4704 x 3136 pixels / 300 dpi =17,1"x10,4" inches (43,4 x 26,4 cm). Almost a DIN A3 paper format.
Canon 5DMII (my current camera) give me 5616 x 3744 pixels / 300 dpi = 18,7" x 12,4" inches (47,5 x 31,6 cm)
Sigma is alright for most of my needs in terms of offset prints. Heavy Canon for studio/macro. Light Sigma for travel.
,-)

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password