Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              55      
       57              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #1 · p.56 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

juan_amores wrote:
Wonderfull images!!
A few more shots from Consuegra (Spain)

Banding? ,-(

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.56 #2 · p.56 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yakim Peled wrote:
Just watch out for the eagle (RX1) who is lurking above. Those poor birds don't stand a chance...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Too expensive and I own FF camera. Heavy but FF.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Jede

p.56 #3 · p.56 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I reseted the camera yesterday, updated the firmware again, reseted the camera and switched to using a different memory card. So far, I haven't gotten the effect visible in the extent before.

However, I see similar artifacts in juan_amores Flickr stream. SDI0417 for example has visible lines in the top sky area on both sides of the topmost windmill blade. You could think of them as jpeg compression dependent thing, but knowing the issue with my camera I most certainly think they are the same thing.

The problem seems to be most distracting with long exposures in the dark, when there are lighter objects involved. But when you know what to look for, it's visible in large even light surfaces like the sky in almost every image.

Backyard snap handheld

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM
juan_amores
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #4 · p.56 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jede wrote:
However, I see similar artifacts in juan_amores Flickr stream. SDI0417 for example has visible lines in the top sky area on both sides of the topmost windmill blade. You could think of them as jpeg compression dependent thing, but knowing the issue with my camera I most certainly think they are the same thing.

Hello Jede, I had not noticed that you mention on the windmill photo, I thought they were airplanes contrails

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Jede

p.56 #5 · p.56 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

You can see the lines in the sky section horizontally (due to camera rotation compared to my image) if you pop the contrast to max in photoshop. I immediately spotted them when looking at your image on full res. Nice image btw

I'm willing to put this under sensor feature. I'll keep an eye on it, and if it starts bugging me, I'll sell the camera. I checked my own images today on 3 different monitors, and though the effect is visible on all, it seems to pop out most on my personal MBP Retina display (due to very high resolution).

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.56 #6 · p.56 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

What a nice image ,-)
It´s a pity if this sensor isn´t yet fine tuned. Or your unit is crippled.

I´m investigating Fuji too.
X-E1. I could be wildly wide ,-) with their Fujinon 14mm(21mm) with a compact body, non-AA filters and nice analog dial for very important controls. High ISO too.

I´ve doubts yet...

Jan 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.56 #7 · p.56 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jede wrote:

Well I checked it on Flickr (original size) That little line could be anything. I don't see any serious banding or lines.
I think this is pixel peeping in his worst form and I don't know what your reasons are to go on and on about it but I am going to neglect your storys from now on.

Goodday

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:21 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.56 #8 · p.56 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I think what Jede sees is contrast halo artifacts, albeit on a very small scale. Very likely due to processing or in camera processing characteristics.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Jede

p.56 #9 · p.56 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Well well, seems that there are people who are a little touchy here about criticizing Sigma or the Foveon sensor. I don't even know if you're looking at the same issue on Juan's photo (I doubt it based on your comments), but if you're happy with your camera, that's ok. It's not serious, but it's there, and not on my unit only. Not a little line, but several lines across the image with constant pattern, on bright color surfaces.

This will be the last from me on this issue, as it seems to raise your hair up and ruin this thread. I've written here to share my experiences, which have been mostly positive until I learned to look at the issue. Maybe someone is ok with it, but my own preference is to try to gather all experiences written in forums and reviews prior to purchasing my gear. This thread shouldn't be all fan talk, but real experience from real users. I thought that I haven't exaggerated the issue, and maybe my way to describe it hasn't been as clear as it should be. Everyone can make their own judgement.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:45 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.56 #10 · p.56 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Well well Jede, I have other cameras, which I like as well, nor am I a warrior for the Sigma Foveon sensor, but your last oh so miniscule wrong pixel findings are pointing to you as being a little obsessed with proving the sensor is no good.

Now there seems to be a constant pattern of lines, on bright color surfaces.
You find something new every time.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.56 #11 · p.56 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jede,

+1. If there is a problem, reporting it is the best solution. Each person can decide if it is important to them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.56 #12 · p.56 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
Well well Jede, I have other cameras, which I like as well, nor am I a warrior for the Sigma Foveon sensor, but your last oh so miniscule wrong pixel findings are pointing to you as being a little obsessed with proving the sensor is no good.

I think that is not only overly critical, but it is also putting words into his mouth that were never there. Please take the report in the spirit it was offered, and don't ridicule it. It is just information. Each person can decide if it is important to them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:41 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.56 #13 · p.56 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jede, for what it's worth, I had exactly these vertical lines on a D700. They were visible on all ISOs, actually more so on lower ISOs. I read up on it, and if I recall correctly, it had something to do with the AD converter calibration in camera. I sold that particular D700, and got another which was much better.

I understad your frustration.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.56 #14 · p.56 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Guys keep showing your best shots. There´s no perfection. There´s also warranty assistance.
I´m more interested to see the best this camera can do comparing to others.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:46 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.56 #15 · p.56 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

carstenw wrote:
I think that is not only overly critical, but it is also putting words into his mouth that were never there. Please take the report in the spirit it was offered, and don't ridicule it. It is just information. Each person can decide if it is important to them.

As far as I know this sensor and it's limitations, I think Jede's last findings were ridicule in the sense I could see about 6 pixels in the sky at 300% magnification, which could be dust, a bird, a plane or god knows what. So I am not talking about words but about facts. And I decided that it is important to me to point that out.
What do I care? I just think this constant nagging about the sensor without any proof of really trying it out in the situations where it is good at, gets a little boring .
I decided it is important to me to point that out. That is just information.

Carsten may be you should check it out for yourself before you intervene and judge over all the posts you read. What do you care? Forum conscience? I have my own.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:14 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.56 #16 · p.56 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Luis Cunha wrote:
Guys keep showing your best shots. There´s no perfection. There´s also warranty assistance.
I´m more interested to see the best this camera can do comparing to others.

That's the spirit!

It is probably not my best shot but I am trying.

Edited on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:18 AM
contas
• • •
p.56 #17 · p.56 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

@jede:I tried to analyse your X3F file, and see your problem, that's a very common issue of a new Foveon user, b'cause not like previous PP sofwares, SPP is tricky and the camera settings are overset.Your dog will be nice when
-reduce contrast -.7, sharpness -.8,exposure -.3 .
-while X3F fill light +.8 and all 3 noise reduction at max.
Don't panic to a new unacquaintance, take time to get to accustom with your camera settings and SPP and enjoy your new toy.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.56 #18 · p.56 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I have found that this sensor is extremely sensitive to over or underexposure, compared to the X-E1.

Too far under: noise city, at least in the previews. Too far over? When you pull the exposure back, colours go funky, especially skin tones.

I mentioned that I made a few formal portraits while in the country at Christmas time. This is my Mother (who luckily never surfs the net); window light, and one of the few occasions I have been able to persuade her to sit.

This is the full frame (a crop would help, I know), and the next image is a 100% crop. SOOC, apart from pulling the sharpening down to -1.0, from memory:

The full frame will print very nicely, I believe.

© Kit Laughlin 2012

Mrs L

SIGMA DP2 Merrill    30mm    f/2.8    1/50s    500 ISO    -0.3 EV  

100% Crop

Jan 12, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Collin Orthner

p.56 #19 · p.56 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit, That's a wonderful portrait! I find ISO 500 quite acceptable. Somewhat noisy, but loads of detail. Here is one at ISO 800 while I waited for my son to finish his shift at a local coffee/donut shop. This was hand held at 1/50 wide open f/2.8.

100% crop of above image

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:12 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.56 #20 · p.56 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Collin; much appreciated. You can probably tell, I'm a big fan of these cameras.

I like your image; as you say, "Somewhat noisy, but loads of detail". Noise is relatively easy to deal with, if you need to, but if you print (as I know you do), then leaving the noise as shot (IMHO) and test printing to see what the interaction will be between the frequency/distribution of the noise and the inbuilt stochastic characteristics of how the printer puts the ink on the paper before doing anything to the noise seems sensible. This noise above will not in any way be a negative in an image, I believe.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password