Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              36      
       38              90       91       end

Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.37 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq, I have a Helios viewfinder; it has multiple frame lines, but they're faint, so not obtrusive. The 35mm line is well inside the outer frame of the finder, so finding 45mm EFOV should not be too hard (and I may add small dots to mark the frame corners).

What I like about it is that it's the same as the eye's FOV—so keeping both eyes open is easy. Personally, as an ex Olympic-event pistol shooter (.22, 50m), I am very used to seeing different sight pictures in each eye, and being able to shoot with both eyes open is much more relaxing than having to close one, and you can see what's going on outside the frame. Of course, this is all theoretical at this point; I am still waiting for mine to arrive!

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.37 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Tariq, I have a Helios viewfinder; it has multiple frame lines, but they're faint, so not obtrusive. The 35mm line is well inside the outer frame of the finder, so finding 45mm EFOV should not be too hard (and I may add small dots to mark the frame corners).

What I like about it is that it's the same as the eye's FOV—so keeping both eyes open is easy. Personally, as an ex Olympic-event pistol shooter (.22, 50m), I am very used to seeing different sight pictures in each eye, and being able to shoot with both eyes open is
...Show more

Hey Kit, Nice! Maybe I will look one of those up. Long ago, I used the Leica 5cm classic finder which offered a 1:1 full view, easily allowing one to use both eyes as the magnification was the same as reality. Exact framing through an ovf is not really going to happen anyway so maybe that same finder would work alright for the DP2M. Hmm.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:52 AM
Bobu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

When I had the old Sigma DP1 (not M) I bought a viewfinder for it, but nearly never used it. Since the display of the DP1M/DP2M is much better compared to the DP1 I will not get a viewfinder for my DP2M.

Boris

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:01 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.37 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Boris thanks for the link. Still have to buy some filters.
I wish for an EVF with focus peaking, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Michiel

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM
cjrpostma

p.37 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

cjrpostma wrote:
So, I haven't read every page of this thread but I have Googled and am coming up empty handed.....will using my Nikon SB-910 on my Sigma DP2M cause any harm to either unit (i.e. different voltage)? Not that this is an ideal solution but I'm curious. I am fully aware that the SB-910 is probably heavier than the Sigma body.

Well, as predicted, the SB-910 works flawless in the hotshoe in manual mode. No damage done.

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:11 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.37 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
My DP2M arrives this coming week, so joining this thread. That Flipbac will be somewhat familiar to view camera users... at least in the mirror-reversed sense. And thanks to all who have posted in this long thead; between this one and a similar one over at GETdpi, most of what one needs to know can be found.

Will be very interested to hear what you think of the camera Kit. I know you typically prefer camera with a more traditional analog interface, so I'll be curious to hear how you can get along with the DP2M and its simple, yet quite P&S style of control.

IQ is amazing though and typically makes all the other faults not seem so bad

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.37 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hey, Millsart,

I think for most of us here, IQ trumps everything—but still the camera must be useable. I have been on a quest for over a year now to settle on a single system.... but that seems not to have happened. My other camera (still waiting for it) is another AA filter-less offering, the X-E1.

My favourite focal length is what the DP2M offers (so, on the X-E1, the stellar 30/1.4 will do very well), but the lack of a finder (apart from a crude optical one in the hot shoe) may mean that the DP2M will fill only a niche, but fill it it does, it seems. I plan to use it on a light tripod, and I have a nice pano unit to pair it with (and I much prefer to make panos with a normal lens, too).

Regarding my UI preferences, again like most here, I have had to adapt continually. My litmus test re. UI is the Nikon F Photomic... but those days are long gone. One of the reasons I was so drawn to the X-E1 (and why I sold the OM-D and a host of other mirrorless bodies) is that the buttons and dials (and the top plate controls) look like that can be set up for simple, fast use, and because the buttons are slightly larger, and slightly further apart than on any comparable body.

So, the DP2M looks similar in that regard. I hope that it has been delivered by the time I get back home. I have ordered Richard Freniac's grip for it too; I received notification that he is taking orders for this now. Having had three of his grips on other, smaller, cameras, I can say that they change the handling completely, and change the profile only slightly. Cheers, kl

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.37 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit, hope it works for you. At least you will be surprised once you see the files at 100%.

Dieppe

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.37 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Michiel, thanks—and I have enjoyed your series very much, both here and in the 'no love for the GXR' thread. Still waiting for the DP2M to arrive...

I should also mention that I spent all day today re-reading this whole thread: thank you to everyone who contributed; this is a serious contribution to the field of understanding this remarkable camera.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:08 PM
ReneMurea
• • •
p.37 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

If anyone is interested, Adorama has both DP1M and DP2M on sale for $849.
Save 2% extra if you buy trough fatwallet.com

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsdevine
• • •
p.37 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Argh!!!!

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.37 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

What a great price! Same deal at B&H through the 27th.

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.37 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Michiel, thanks—and I have enjoyed your series very much, both here and in the 'no love for the GXR' thread. Still waiting for the DP2M to arrive...

I should also mention that I spent all day today re-reading this whole thread: thank you to everyone who contributed; this is a serious contribution to the field of understanding this remarkable camera.

Cool, Kit! The DP2M and XE-1 should be a great low/high ISO one-two punch.

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.37 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Douglas, I have been trying, really trying, for a year to make the one-body (or at least, one brand) system that does what I need, but... you know the rest. I am looking forward to the X-E1 very much too.

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:45 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.37 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Douglas, I have been trying, really trying, for a year to make the one-body (or at least, one brand) system that does what I need, but... you know the rest. I am looking forward to the X-E1 very much too.

What happened to your Ricoh? Ain't that a nice compliment to the Sigma?

Michiel

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.37 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Last leaves at the boarder of Fôret dÉu, Normandy.
Two horizontal image stich.

Michiel

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.37 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Michiel, re. the Ricoh: excellent IQ, but I really did not like the external finder; many reasons. I have decided to move over to the X-E1 to see what that's like; no AA filter, and a built-in EVF (though it does not tilt up and there is no opening LCD) and an excellent sensor means that it's worth a look/try/feel, at least. In the meantime, the DP2 M! Cheers, KL

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.37 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Fabulous image sculptormic, just my cup of tea. I'm in The Ardeche and currently do this sort of thing with a 5D3. Very very tempted by this camera but I keep telling myself that the 5D can do this. Obviously the Merrill is MUCH smaller and lighter... Ah... my wallet is twitching again dammit...

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.37 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thank you Chrissearle!

The 5D3 is a fantastic camera and you can put on many lenses.
But if you want to travel light and want to do carefull photography the DP2m is really nice.

Michiel

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:54 PM
jv11

p.37 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I know the camera is limited to a max 30 second exposure time, but is it possible to turn dark frame subtraction off?

Thanks

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password