Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       17              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

unangelino
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I've never had a problem with SPP on my Mac (running OS10.6.8) other than SPP being pretty sluggish.

Which OS are you running?

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

unangelino wrote:
I've never had a problem with SPP on my Mac (running OS10.6.8) other than SPP being pretty sluggish.

Which OS are you running?

10.8.2. It looks like it eventually stops hanging after a few minutes, long enough to open a raw file. But then it continues to frequently spin as I make adjustments. Seems pretty unusable to me.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:04 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

itai195 wrote:
Has anyone here been able to use SPP on a Mac? I can't even manage to get it to launch, it immediately hangs. It's a pity, this would be enough to kill the idea of getting a DP2M for me.

I'm using SPP 5.3.2 on OSX 10.8.2. I have had it hang up once and require a force-quit, but generally it generally works fine (but slowly). Don't try to make too many adjustments at once; change one thing, and wait for the progress bar (upper right on image window) to complete before starting the next. Don't hit "full resolution" until you are nearly done with adjustments, since everything will be even slower after that.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

itai195 wrote:
Has anyone here been able to use SPP on a Mac? I can't even manage to get it to launch, it immediately hangs. It's a pity, this would be enough to kill the idea of getting a DP2M for me.

I have not ran into an issue in OS X yet myself but I have not put it through any sort of torture testing yet. You might try something as easy as fixing permissions in Disk Utility - or possibly start up in 32bit and see if that makes a difference.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Oh jeez, 10.8! Beta testing there? SPP works fine in 10.7 Lion...but even PS and Bridge hang occasionally there as compared to 10.6! oh well.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:11 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

10.8 on a retina MBP, I'm really living on the edge

I haven't had any other issues with 10.8. I'll keep chugging along with SPP and see if I can manage to get it to work. At this point I think I pretty much only want to adjust white balance in SPP and get into LR as quickly as I can.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Well, if you have to live on the edge, that's the way to go!

Seems like I read that Sigma will have a major update of SPP towards the end of the month.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:36 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Finally got it to work. It seems SPP didn't like my network environment, in which there are a bunch of network volumes visible... It seems to be trolling through them trying to populate its source list. Turned off wifi, rebooted, and it started working...

At any rate, I did contact Sigma and they claimed there's an update coming soon. No details available. No idea if it would actually resolve this issue. But now that I at least seem to be able to work in it, that's a good sign. Looking forward to giving the DP2M a whirl.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:48 PM
SmallnotTall

p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Sorry to post this again, but I was really hoping for a reply-

"I am honestly considering the DP1M (or DP2M) as I think it may be ideal for my intended usage. The things that catch my eye are the excellent resolution, small size (compared to a DSLR) and price (again, compared to a full frame DSLR). Being restricted to ISO 100-200 doesn't worry me in the slightest since that is where I do the majority of my shooting anyway.

I have one question though, is what is the camera like with longer exposures (say 15 sec) at night? I have often read that this camera is poor in low light but with a tripod and low ISO it should still give excellent results right?"

I will also add, if it is bad in low light (even at ISO 100 and on a tripod), what are the problems (i.e. noise, colour accuracy etc)? Thanks!

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:17 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The long exposure performance is pretty average - that is; they're more than ok.
It's not like an actively cooled mil-spec CCD performance, but I've seen a lot worse. Blackpoint rises a bit, and you get some pattern noise (but not much).

In a Foveon sensor, noise, color accuracy and internal contrast are tightly connected. When one goes, the other two goes at the same time. But both the internal jpg engine and SPP balance this pretty well, so you basically get about ISO800 DP1M >> ISO3200 in a normal newer APS camera.
Like this:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5N/FULLRES/NEX5NhSLI03200_NR_STD_D.HTM
vs this:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD1/FULLRES/SD1hSLI0800.HTM

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:01 PM
SmallnotTall

p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thankyou theSuede. These cameras ( DP1M and DP2M) really interest me, looks like I might have to bite the bullet and buy one.

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:45 PM
contas
• • •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

@andyjaggy82: over-confident won't lead to anywhere, some clients may bring you back behind the start line, it's always right for any profession.
@Herb1911: may be you don't notice well or don't have enough time to work with foveon, the green edge phenomenon is still there, means that retrofocus works but cann't totally "erase" vignette as expected ( like any other optical corrections : Aspherical, Apo ... ).Ok you say DP2 M is OK nothing like green edge as I saw, but other DP2 M users say Yes it's there: notice Queentin posts and answers.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=69796.0
I really like the concept and the result ( not performance) of any foveon from SD9 to DPM and to SD1M, but the images are posted mustbe in the best condition.

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/86/721286.jpg

Herb1911 pic, same I reposted before..

If this isnt color shift, then what it is? I have more than good eyes for colors. Magenta in center and cyan corners are quite evident. Btw. SD1M does same with some lens, reason is IR filter.

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:34 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I don't know, some apparently see magenta and cyan, while I see a pretty image of a grassland area with some grazing animals and a body of water in the distance in the above image.

Does that mean there isn't a color shift there ? No, maybe there is, I personally don't see, but then again, I don't really go out of my way to look for things like that unless its radically apparent, such as when I tried to use a Contax 21mm on my NEX7...talk about a color shift!

If you have to really try to find it though, you have to ask, does it really matter enough to worry about ?

To each his own.....

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Most of the color shift in the DP2M images is in the "a" channel in Lab color space. Here's Herb's field photo if you zero out the "b" channel in Lab, keeping only the colors most sensitive to the shift. I think this may help to make the color shift more obvious; it shows the same pattern (magenta center to green corners) that I saw with my grey card tests. In the full-color original, the shift is most obvious to me in the clouds, changing from magenta to green tones; in the grassy areas, under a lot of their own real color variation, the subtle shift is nearly impossible to notice.

http://praetoriusphoto.images.s3.amazonaws.com/fmforums/20121011_dp2m/pasture_no_b.jpg

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
There becomes a point where you have to wonder if the viewer is looking at the image or simply at the pixels.

A question of what is the actual scene of verses looking for things like blotchiness and color shifts.

If one simply wants to have images that show color shifts, edge sharpness, etc, then it would be far less effort to simply stay inside and shoot some plain white walls rather than make the effort to go outside, hike to a nice scene and try to compose a pleasing photo.

Obviously this is a gear/technical based forum at its core, but I
...Show more

but looking at the pixels rather than the pictures seems to be the main point of the dp2m. the AA less bayerlessness makes 100% viewing look so much better, but to be honest i'm not seeing any major differences at web sizes. maybe i would in print.

it just seems like a camera designed specifically for people that care deeply about pixel peeping, so i'm not surprised to see people caring deeply about the minutia.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Gosh, that is so subtle, even in the sky, I doubt anyone besides me would EVER see that in a nice large print. We may nitpick, while clients will walk up to my sharp 36" print and just go wow. Will have my DP2M tomorrow, can't wait, despite all the negativity here.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM
contas
• • •
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sebboh wrote:
but looking at the pixels rather than the pictures seems to be the main point of the dp2m. the AA less bayerlessness makes 100% viewing look so much better, but to be honest i'm not seeing any major differences at web sizes. maybe i would in print.

it just seems like a camera designed specifically for people that care deeply about pixel peeping, so i'm not surprised to see people caring deeply about the minutia.

Showing an imperfect spot of a picture or a bad action is an endless process of a progress life and nothing is mean or minutiae. What you can see from DP2M now , other people get that look for a decade ago since SD9, so no surprise for them that detail and color, you are newcomers (to Foveon ) and posted and said "wow" to bad pictures, so what do other do?Let you do it again and again?You now tell yourseft what should you do?

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

contas wrote:
What you can see from DP2M now , other people get that look for a decade ago since SD9, so no surprise for them that detail and color, you are newcomers (to Foveon ) and posted and said "wow" to bad pictures, so what do other do?Let you do it again and again?You now tell yourseft what should you do?

By my very definition, if an image makes me say "wow" and want to take another look at it, it simply can not be a so called "bad picture".

Do you really think someone should change their opinion of what they like or don't like because someone on the other side of the world has a differing opinion ?

Everyone is free to make up their own minds and choices. If I enjoy "bad" photography, or gross food, or listen to horrible music, its all because it is what I enjoy, and darn well I'm going to do it again and again, because that is my right to do so.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.