Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

RickPerry wrote:
Thanks again Hulyss -

I am going to pre-order a DP2m - not in stock quite yet at B&H - but very soon I believe.

Rick

It was in stock a while back but I guess they are selling better than expected.

Sep 23, 2012 at 09:45 AM
RickPerry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tarig,

I have been looking at Fuji X pro, Ex-1, Sony Rx1, and this Sigma DP2m. As far as I can see - this is the most bang for the buck - and it has an amazing potential.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

RickPerry wrote:
Tarig,

I have been looking at Fuji X pro, Ex-1, Sony Rx1, and this Sigma DP2m. As far as I can see - this is the most bang for the buck - and it has an amazing potential.

I think it's the most bang for the buck but in a very narrow, limited scope of use which is basically base ISO and bright daylight (or strobe perhaps). The other options are more versatile as they can be comfortably used for a greater variety of subject matter at higher ISO's but the DP2M may have them beat for ultimate IQ when it's used for what it's best at.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Certainly not an only cam but if you sent a good photographer to Chile with one of these and a gorilla pod, I'm sure the pictures that he comes back with of landscapes will be stunning.

My dream camera right now would be a NEX-7 (with rx100 menus and low contrast EVF) with a Foveon (actual 24mpx) sensor that was also good with RF wides paired with OM-D IBIS.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I think it's the most bang for the buck but in a very narrow, limited scope of use which is basically base ISO and bright daylight (or strobe perhaps). The other options are more versatile as they can be comfortably used for a greater variety of subject matter at higher ISO's but the DP2M may have them beat for ultimate IQ when it's used for what it's best at.

Given that I already have an A900 with a full set of Zeiss lenses, a Sony RX100 and Fuji x100,

this will be a very much - fun - wow - camera that will only be used in the right-proper-conditions- scenerio.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

RickPerry wrote:
Given that I already have an A900 with a full set of Zeiss lenses, a Sony RX100 and Fuji x100,

this will be a very much - fun - wow - camera that will only be used in the right-proper-conditions- scenerio.

That's pretty much how I plan to use it - ancillary to other equipment but offering just something a little special in the right situation. I'm curious to hear how you find it.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Excited about it - that is for sure!

Sep 23, 2012 at 01:11 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I think mine will be used in tandem with an X-E1 - they complement each other quite well.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:06 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

corposant wrote:
I think mine will be used in tandem with an X-E1 - they complement each other quite well.

indeed, seems to cover the x-e1's big weakness.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:16 AM
joxang
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I don't understand why they would not integrate the manual focus dial that was arguably the best feature of the original DP1.

If they added a tilt LCD to this, I think it would turn it from 'Ooooo that's nice' to 'OOOO GIVE ME NOW'.

I wish sigma would release a DP3 with a 35mm equivalent.

Sep 24, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 08:23 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:51 AM
joxang
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The manual focus dial gives literally instant zone focus and hyperfocal settings, which negates any poor autofocus, or manual focus sans EVF, problems.

You ever used a tilt LCD for shooting landscapes? One of the greatest things ever, and would greatly complement the sensor strengths of the DP cameras.

Don't see why a camera can't have a tilt screen and still be reliable/solid .

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 08:06 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

DP1M review:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:32 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Wow - that The Luminous Landscape review is certainly positive for the DP2M. It certainly helps validate my decision to buy one.

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

RickPerry wrote:
Wow - that The Luminous Landscape review is certainly positive for the DP2M. It certainly helps validate my decision to buy one.

Yes, he finally said it:

"It is my opinion that the Sigma DP2M, for its part, provides the highest image resolution of any camera / lens combination than costs less than a $2,000 – $3,000 dollars, and it seriously challenges the IQ of cameras like the Nikon D800e and even medium format backs in prints up to about 20X30".

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Why isn't it just a DNG :/

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yes, he finally said it:

"It is my opinion that the Sigma DP2M, for its part, provides the highest image resolution of any camera / lens combination than costs less than a $2,000 – $3,000 dollars, and it seriously challenges the IQ of cameras like the Nikon D800e and even medium format backs in prints up to about 20X30".

It's interesting that Michael's description of the DP1M's lens (and DP2M's lens) sounds remarkably like the performance of the Sigma 19 on the NEX-7, in terms of corner performance. I wonder if Michael has used the Sigmas on the NEX-7 to compare?

Sep 24, 2012 at 07:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Why isn't it just a DNG :/

That's unfortunately the disadvantage of using unique layouts, like Foveon and Trans-X, although Adobe is at least attempting X-Trans.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

douglasf13 wrote:
It's interesting that Michael's description of the DP1M's lens (and DP2M's lens) sounds remarkably like the performance of the Sigma 19 on the NEX-7, in terms of corner performance. I wonder if Michael has used the Sigmas on the NEX-7 to compare?

I saw the exact type of weakness outside of the central 2/3rds area when looking at the official DP1M samples...and it is similar to the 19 on the NEX-7 (though the optical design is a little different). I wish the Sigma 30 2.8 was available in all mounts. It really is an exceptional lens imo.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.