Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · If you were starting from scratch...

SKumar25
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you were starting from scratch...

These are interesting times with some great gear released by the big players. Canon's competitors have really stepped it up to Canon.

Went to the mall and handled some Nikon gear. Got me thinking...

if you were starting from scratch right now, would you still pick Canon, else who'd you pick, and why?

Open to Canon shooters only please, and be honest!

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 01:48 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:47 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you were starting from scratch...

D800.

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If you were starting from scratch...

Ironically, I just talked to my brother-in-law last night about this. He is a Nikon guy, while I'm using Canon. He said he'd still use Nikon because he liked the controls better.

I'm still picking Canon because I choose Canon because of their glasses. I'm using 5D3 and couldn't be happier.

The other option I might do is going mirrorless.

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:52 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If you were starting from scratch...

Knowing what I know now about photography, Definitely Canon b/c of the glass and high iso performance. Although if I were to start today, being the tech geek I am, Nikon wins on paper so I'd probably go there.

-Brian

Sep 21, 2012 at 01:55 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If you were starting from scratch...

My first camera was Canon AE-1P, then A-1, New F-1. Don't remember why I pick Canon over Nikon, and all my friends in the 80s all use Nikon. Anyway this is a Canon forum so lets ask this same question in the Nikon forum.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:01 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If you were starting from scratch...

I choose other. I'm not really sure, 35+ years with Canon have biased me to a huge degree, Love their fell/ergonomics, the glass...not crazy about the flash systems; tho the new 600 looks nice.

I've friends that shoot Nikon consumer and pro gear, Sony a900s and the new a77 and a 4/3s gear and have used the gear on occasion. Sony's bodies seem nice and images/IQ is great, but the others never felt right in my hands, their image making abilities are pretty fantastic...

I still like Canon...old habits perhaps, I'm not looking to change but open to it if something killer came out, but my killer won't happen, no one caters to the disabled and why should they, I just adapt to what I can...and Canon is what I know best...at the moment

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 02:46 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:05 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If you were starting from scratch...

For FF - Sony. I want the articulated LCD + really nice liveview capabilities w/ FF. I am looking forward at the next three years, and thinking that is the type of body I'd most enjoy and appreciate using.

For crop - Canon. 1.3x, please. Now that Canon has dropped that format, I am wondering what my ideal setup will be. It may well be a split system with Canon for my long tele shooting & Sony for the wide end.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:27 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If you were starting from scratch...

Would love to try the D800 as well, but considering my budget and the cost/availability of used Canon lenses, I'll be using Canon gear for a while.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:32 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If you were starting from scratch...

I could have sworn we had this poll or very similar just a few months ago....

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:34 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If you were starting from scratch...

Ten thousand posts and you haven't noticed a cycle yet?!?

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SKumar25
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If you were starting from scratch...

AGeoJO wrote:
I could have sworn we had this poll or very similar just a few months ago....

That is dated now....

SKumar25 wrote:
These are interesting times with some great gear released by the big players.

Edited on Sep 21, 2012 at 02:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:38 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If you were starting from scratch...

corndog wrote:
Ten thousand posts and you haven't noticed a cycle yet?!?

"Just a few months ago" and that was a rhetorical question, if you missed it.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:38 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If you were starting from scratch...

Ha, mine was too.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:44 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If you were starting from scratch...

I'd still choose Canon primarily because of the lenses.
However, one thing I'd do differently: instead of buying and trying a great variety of lenses, then selling them at a loss in most cases, next time I'd just go for several top of the line offerings and stick with them.

Sep 21, 2012 at 02:52 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If you were starting from scratch...

It's always about the glass and as far as I can tell other than the Nikon 14-24, the Canon line-up is overall better IMO. Also looks like current AF in 5D III and 1D X is the ducks guts, if they put it in a cropper then there's even less incentive to leave that behind. At best I would have a Nikon camera alongside not as a replacement.

Sony still has a lot of work to do on glass.

Mirrorless for me is my backup when I want to travel light but have good glass.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:14 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If you were starting from scratch...

Stick with Canon no doubt. Nothing over at Nikon interests me, at all. I frankly hate the ergonomics, menu layout, button layout... Plus I think Canon has better lens options.

My kit is perfect for me. I find no need to change to another system, even if I had ability to start all over. I never have liked Nikon systems, I can't help that! I know they have better sensor tech and all that, but honestly, that is probably all they have over Canon at the moment, in my opinion.

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:31 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If you were starting from scratch...

Part of me wants to switch over to Nikon right now because of their superior sensor tech.

But I'm not really sure. Canon does have the advantage when it comes to glass, and this is the most important thing i.m.o.

It is really bad that they are lagging behind with their sensors. But who knows, maybe they'll catch up in a few years from now. I hope they will.

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:14 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If you were starting from scratch...

If I was starting from scratch but still knew all the things I know now?

Based on what I like to shoot, which involves some amateur sports along with just the regular vacation / event type stuff, I immediately limit my choices to Canon or Nikon. None of the other options really has action/sports oriented gear/features.

I wouldn't be concerned over ergonomics. I'm sure I'd get used to either Canon or Nikon.

I'd never bother with any of the consumer kit lenses. No need to "learn" on an 18-55mm or 55-200mm lens again

I would never buy new. I would buy only used or refurbished cameras and lenses. Just too many well-cared for hardware out there, and I'm not a pro that needs the latest and greatest body as soon as it's available. (Hindsight would have really saved me some money and hassle.)

Since I've now narrowed myself down to used Canon or Nikon gear that needs to fit my shooting style, I would probably stick with Canon. One great example is the wonderful used 1DIII I purchased that, for the price and considering what you get for it, was a no-brainer.

Does the Nikon used market provide as many options as the Canon used market? I've never bothered to look, but used cameras like the 7D, 1DIII, and 5D2 are such a good value, I'd be surprised if Nikon equivalents really exist.

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:16 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If you were starting from scratch...

Up until the 5D3 was released, I would have switched to Nikon. Now, however, I'd be hard pressed to find compelling enough reasons to do so, however good the D800's sensor may be. Canon clearly has it in them to get something right when they want to, hopefully now that their AF system has been designed correctly, they'll start working on sensor DR.

Sep 21, 2012 at 04:55 AM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If you were starting from scratch...

I picked Canon, I would still take a 5D3 over a D800 given either option for free (as well as the accompanying glass.... lets say glass being equivalent.)

I was at a bit of an impasse as even earlier this week, I'll admit that I was considering the switch. My gear would get a decent price, or I could probably do pretty close direct Nikon trades.

But when I really started looking at my usage, the AF, better ISO (despite what Dx0mark says... which now I believe their stuff to be hogwash... no Canon cameras in the top ten.... baloney), speed, handling, glass, color, etc, the Canon wins on these (for me, as of course these are all opinions.)

Do I wish that the Canon had better dynamic range? Yes, I do, they are deficient here, and I hope that they simply put it in next go around, and I hope they do so with avengeance (I would love to see them do something crazy like get some impossible improvement like 6 stops... IMPOSSIBLE!) I think Canon is capable as a company to fix DR, and that they can do it easily despite the cynics. Canon literally makes the most and sells the most cameras in the world. They have the research money, they could easily hire/snipe the right people to get the job done... they just haven't (which is disappointing) but with greater competition, they will simply have to.

Do I wish that Canon had more pleasing sensor noise? Yes, I concede Nikon and others are better, and that the pattern noise Canon exhibits isn't my favorite. Still, even on my "lowly" 5D2, the noise is easily controllable. And with a combination of DPP and Nik Software's Dfine 2.0 isn't noticeable. Of course, it would be more optimal if I didn't have to correct it at all, but at least this problem isn't so bad that a couple of clicks makes it liveable.

The only place then that the D800 is tempting for most, is of course the resolution. But I don't need it. The D800 is only tempting due to me due to the 14-24mm and the greater Dynamic Range. When I thought about the things I'd lose/compromise to have those two things, I realized that I was better where I was, and I was using a "grass is always greener" mentality.

So, in short, I've decided again, that for me the 5D3 is the camera to own. Hopefully I'll get my grubby mitts on one sooner than later.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password