Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

I'm going to apologize right off the hop for a long post... BUT...

Since I've had a few asking about this comparison since getting the D600 yesterday, and since there's some posts asking about it...

Not sure if this is any help to anyone that wanted to compare the D600 to the D700, but I got some shots with some cheap cameras of the two together, and some other bodies, since physical size of the camera bodies seems to come into question a lot.

I personally thought the D600 was going to be smaller than it actually is. This is a good thing though, because I'm a fairly large guy and like handling the larger bodies like the D3.

Here's a Coolpix shot of (from left to right)... F75 with grip, D40, D5000, D600, D700, D3S:

http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-FZPLdr3/0/X3/i-FZPLdr3-O.jpg

And since most won't care about the older film body comparison and the D40... the D5000, D600, D700 and D3S:

http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-jfr9x87/0/X3/i-jfr9x87-O.jpg

Directly with the D600 against the D700:

http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-nMdzVjw/0/X3/i-nMdzVjw-O.jpg
http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-Zrz43qS/0/X3/i-Zrz43qS-O.jpg
http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-kJkBTfV/0/X3/i-kJkBTfV-O.jpg
http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-8tdWqWh/0/X3/i-8tdWqWh-O.jpg
http://djsphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-JJZ4CjH/0/X3/i-JJZ4CjH-O.jpg

Basically the two bodies are closer in size than you might think. The D700 sits taller, especially with the VF/popup height, while the actual top LCD and top controls not far apart. The D700 might feel a little wider to me, but it's likely also to do with the fact that the grip is meatier. The D600 grip doesn't feel wimpy to me though, it's cut in a way that may let your fingers wrap around and "in" more if that makes sense. Weight wise the D700 feels slightly heavier, but again likely not as much as I expected. The D700 surprisingly doesn't feel that it's built more solidly, or more metal.

Control wise there's a heap of difference. Right from the exposure mode DIAL on the left top, to the playback zoom +/- buttons, to the AF controls, it's very much a different animal for those used to the D700 or D1-D3 series bodies. I don't want to go on record saying I like the older styles better (don't want to be labeled as an old dog more than I already am) but it definitely isn't second-nature to me at this point. I think I might actually like the AF controls. Instead of the familiar M-S-C switch to the front lower left of the body, the new machine uses a M-AF switch with a button inside which you can depress and roll front wheel for type of AF system and rear wheel for AF-A/C/S... very cool actually.

The D600 has no dedicated AF-on button which might upset some users, but you can configure the AE/AF lock button to be the AF-on, which I've done and tested. The location of the button is actually pretty good for this, but if you intend on keeping the AF/AE lock button as such, you'll miss the AF-on if that's how you typically focus and track with your bodies. Different anyway...

I guess the whole camera feels re-engineered to be tight and compacted slightly from the D700. The dual card slots are great, I just really wish one was CF. Again, call me an old dog but I have a stash of quality CF cards I've never had any durability issues with, and those dinky SD cards just feel wimpy to me. Sigh...

Hey here is a great innovation. The battery charger comes with a typical long cord plug-in, but also a mini-plug which goes directly into the back of the charger and "swivels" down so you can plug the unit directly into the wall and it sits on your outlet for charging. Very cool design.

The lens mount "node" for lens alignment will be familiar to people with newer Nikkor design lenses like the 85/f1.8G... a raised and larger bright wight dot which I guess technically can help you line up the mount in dimmer settings.

The twin inset dials on the top left of the camera are definitely a shock handling-wise too. Gone are the triple crown QUAL / WB / ISO buttons on top of the shooting mode dial from the D700/D300/D200 type bodies, and the new setup is a "locking" exposure mode dial that also includes SCENE and customizable U1 and U2 settings, that is reminiscent of older Minolta film bodies I guess. Directly underneath is the shooting mode dial that includes S - customizable CL - CH - Q (quiet) - (timer) - (remote) - (mirror-up). It too is locking, with the release to the lower left rear of the top panel. A little tricky to get onto these dials for me.

Outside of the square vs round VF setup (I have a DK19 on both my other bodies that I love) the VF on the D600 seems excellent.

The one button on this camera I doubt will ever get worn off is the video record button on top. I get the value in it for sure - nice, easily accessible one-touch start and stop once you're in movie mode. I'm just not a video DSLR shooter at this point and have a good video camera for that which I doubt I'd ever not choose when I want video, but heck I don't know enough better at this point I guess. Anyway it's there and I'm sure it's going to be well received with some shooters.

Oh and lastly about comparing controls the D700 had a separate popup and flash control button, where the D600 has one, but a bracketing control button where the D700 had the flash button. They both have programmable front FN buttons for the right hand. Metering controls have moved from a 3-position switch around the AE/AF lock button (D700) to a dedicated top-right-panel button and scroll setup on the D600.

Both LCD's are big and beautiful so I doubt most would notice the D600's slightly (0.2") larger screen. Both have standard screen protectors. Menu control is fairly standard and familiar to any Nikon shooter.

Startup times on both cameras... well maybe there's a spec out there to tell them apart, I doubt any shooter could distinguish which one's faster. Both fast.

So I guess I'll stop there. I want to comment on my initial AF system impressions, but I shouldn't. I've got years and tons of hours into the Multi-CAM3500 on four different bodies and love it. I loved the D2's for sheer acquisition speed, but the tracking performance of the D3/D700/D300/D3S was incredible to me. My initial sense with the D600 is that it's surprisingly very good. With the 70-200VR2 in my limited testing, acquisition is snappy fast, and tracking was flawless in the little testing I've put it through, and in low light it seems to edge out the D700 for quickness. This I really didn't expect, but I won't get too confident in my claims here because I've only had the body for one day and limited stress testing.

Low light results seem highly impressive. It's definitely better than the D700 I'm confident in saying, but I'll have to give it better head to head comparing with the D3S to see what's really what. ISO3200 is outstanding clean as you'd expect from a new FX Nikon body, but I'll push it more in the next little while.

Anyway, this post is going to beat records for rambling, so I'll end it there... Hopefully not a COMPLETE waste of time for those comparing it to the D700 in their minds (seems to be a lot lately). Starting on the weekend more shooting and real-world IQ results...

CHEERS!
-DJ

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Great post.

Question, did you find the viewfinder eye relief a bit lacking and is the viewfinder also a bit darker?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

vchowdhary wrote:
Great post.

Question, did you find the viewfinder eye relief a bit lacking and is the viewfinder also a bit darker?

Yes maybe a little to the first part... I really like the DK19 cups... especially in greasy settings like lacrosse arenas where my nose or fingers can get to the VF window somehow (how the heck do I do that anyway?), or in bright settings where it's easier to get shielding from the sun. If I didn't have the cup on, I doubt I'd have the same impression.

For the second part, no I don't notice the VF any darker at all in going back to back in the house here... even with the cup...

Hope that's some help?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

DJ, can you confirm if the D600 allows you to hit the "OK" center button during playback to zoom in?? It frustrates me that my d300's allow you to do this, but my 7000 does not...if it was back, it would be awesome....

2nd question, People complain that the AF points dont cover enough of the frame...personally i dont think the D700 AF points cover enough of the frame, but that's coming from a DX shooter...is it really THAT much less on the 600 than the 700, or are people just complaining just to complain. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

NathanHamler wrote:
DJ, can you confirm if the D600 allows you to hit the "OK" center button during playback to zoom in?? It frustrates me that my d300's allow you to do this, but my 7000 does not...if it was back, it would be awesome....

2nd question, People complain that the AF points dont cover enough of the frame...personally i dont think the D700 AF points cover enough of the frame, but that's coming from a DX shooter...is it really THAT much less on the 600 than the 700, or are people just complaining just to complain. Thanks!

Yeah might have bad news on both fronts... the OK button seems to go to the photo retouch options and I don't see a way on quick glance through the menus to assign it differently to be honest. Might have to get into the manual to see if I'm right for sure.

I think the D600 AF area covers roughly similar frame area that the D700 does, which is to say they didn't stretch it out like many likely hoped. In fact it APPEARS it could even be ever so slightly LESS coverage if anything to my eyes going back to back. I've learned to deal with this on the D3S and D700 for sports shooting, but that's not to say I wouldn't appreciate better frame coverage... especially if they tucked some nice cross sensors wide out for portrait orientation shooting. However no, you won't see any gains there I'm afraid.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

eh...oh well....i'll prob end up picking up a used D700....i love my d7000.....buuuttt i dont need the resolution to be honest, and it seems that's about one of the only selling points over the D700....(although dual card slots are nice...) thanks for the info!

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

very cool shots, thanks. I'd also hoped it would be smaller - basically it looks like an FX D7000.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
miloz
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

As someone with big hands, I'll add that I appreciate the lack of the lower function button near the lens mount. That always bugged me with my D700 and I was able to get a slightly better/more comfortable grip on the D600 I played with in-store.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Thanks a lot for the post! Though I am not upgrading any soon I really enjoyed the comparison and found it very informative.

Hussain

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

after some brief issue use, holding a D600 with a pro-zoom lens attached, such as 14-24, and etc, is way too uncomfortable for my hands.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

I note in the third photo DJ the condition that caused me such consternation with the D800. If you look at the width of the grip in comparing the D600 on the left and the D700 on the right, how much thicker/wider the D700 is. The D800 has a narrower grip, similar to the D600. When I shot with the D800 for a week I found my hand cramping and needed to alter the way i held the camera. The thickness of the D700 grip suits my hand extremely well. I can shoot with it all day long without difficulty. I'm not at all certain I'll be checking out the D600 but you can count on the fact that, if I do, I'll be assessing how the grip feels. Personally, the D800 is a disappointment to me simply because I don't like how it feels in my hand.

That said, I appreciate you taking the time to offer this assessment for all of us. Thanks DJ.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Thanks, DJ, for the great writeup! The top-deck redesign is a bit of a shock for this old D300 user: it much more resembles my consumer D5100. The video button eats valuable real estate - Nikon's version of Canon's Print button.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:26 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Thank you very much, it's been extremely helpful.

Sep 20, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Seth Lord
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

DJ that was terrific. Thanks. I handled a D600 and D800 in store today and found it very interesting that my impressions of the controls were much the same as yours (am used to a D200 and a friend's D700 occasionally). I found the mode dial not easy to manipulate, and the lack of a dedicated AF on button and a few other things are something I would have to get used to, not fall easily into.
Also interested to see that Mr Grindahl had the same impression I had about the grip, versus the D700.
But then there is that sensor. And the very quiet 'Quiet' mode (significantly quieter than the D800 to my aged ears). Thinking, thinking ....

Sep 20, 2012 at 06:16 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Good man.

Sep 20, 2012 at 06:51 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

I really enjoyed the read. Thanks for taking the time. I felt like a lot of D700 shooters would be surprised by the size based on the release specs I was reading. A lot of people had it in their head that it would be the same size as D7000 due to the other similarities but it was clear from the official specs that this would not be the case. Some people don't like the feel but the majority of reviews I'm reading around the net are pleasantly surprised at the size rather than disappointed. The most surprising spec that I found was that the camera is thicker than the D700.

brad

Sep 20, 2012 at 08:24 AM
Big Appa
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

It is now confirmed for me. I want a D700 more than you can know. Simply a matter of gathering the funds. My D200, and it's control layouts have become almost second nature to me. I love it's ergonomics, and it appears as if the D700, with some minor changes, is the same. A D700 will do everything I need it to do. Make nice large prints,
anything I need for posting in any internet forums, and with photomerge in photoshop, as big a wall size print as anyone could need. Plus my computer is enough to handle D700 files.

As of this morning, it appears there are at least two or three of them with less than 10,000 clicks on the B&S forum!

"Bang for the buck" is important to this old hillbilly, it's why I now own five manual focus lenses. Great glass, stout build for low dollars! And i feel the same way about the D700.

Ed

PS
And I should have added, nice review, thanks for posting!

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Big Appa, I'm the opposite. I was hoping the D700 would be it after this was announced but I'm slowly leaning towards the D600. Price aside, I'm having a hard time figuring out how the D700 is the better option. The AF button is the only physical omission. That may be a deal breaker but I have to see if I can get past that. Also -20 focus points. Other than those two drawback I don't see why I would choose the D700 over the D600.

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:09 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

dj, me going from a D300s to a D600, what do you think the drawbacks will be? I'd lose some FPS, two I believe, the AF button and of course the 1.5 reach and I will have to sell my 17-55 and get a replacement. Is there anything else I would be losing?

Positives, far far superior low light performance, more MP, better sensor. What else do you think?

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:24 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Since so many asking about D600 vs D700...

Wow, thanks for all the info!

Sep 20, 2012 at 09:39 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.