Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              35       36       end

6D - hands on & first experience

Mauro Moretti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10545.0

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thank you.

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:22 PM
mikegrados
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph, thank you!

I think that I am feeling the exact same way about the 6D. I made a list of everything I would need in a camera, along with a price point, for me to upgrade from my 5Dc...and the 6D's specs met every single requirement at a better price.

I keep going back and considering 1DsIII, 5DII etc...but I keep coming back to the 6D as being the perfect modern body solution for my photography. I can't wait to hear more from you!

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:12 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.8 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

mikegrados wrote:
I think that I am feeling the exact same way about the 6D. I made a list of everything I would need in a camera, along with a price point, for me to upgrade from my 5Dc...and the 6D's specs met every single requirement at a better price.

I keep going back and considering 1DsIII, 5DII etc...but I keep coming back to the 6D as being the perfect modern body solution for my photography. I can't wait to hear more from you!

I hope it's available before Christmas

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

CW100 wrote:
I hope it's available before Christmas

I am pretty sure it will be. But in wich numbers?

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

mikegrados wrote:
Ralph, thank you!

You are welcome. But believe me, I can´t wait to hear/read more about the 6D from somebody else myself ...

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:33 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.8 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Here's one question I'd like to find out about the 6D: when I wirelessly connect my smartphone or tablet, and send the 1920x1080px images to the device, will I be able to effectively 'chimp' my focus? Or, will it be just as good or better to use the LCD?

Basically, I would like to use the larger screen on my device to chimp focus for location portraits before moving on to the next setting.

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:32 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

"chimp" means controlling it after the shot instead of using lifeview to focus?
They did both. They controlled the shot via lifeview on the tablet and send some taken images to it at photokina demonstration. Not 1920x1080px but the full image.

Ralph

Edit:
Watch this video at minutes 34-35 (sorry, it is german :-( ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eeHpHVfUF6Y&feature=endscreen

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:11 AM
mikegrados
• •
p.8 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Sorry about that Ralph, when I mention 'chimp' I simply meant looking at the photograph you've just taken on the LCD to ensure proper exposure/focus...etc. What I'm hoping, is that the image that is transferred to my smartphone or tablet is at a high enough resolution to enlarge and properly check the focus and/or camera shake.

I'm currently using a 5Dc, and checking focus on its LCD is nearly impossible - both nailed and just-missed focus looks pretty much the same.

EDIT: and, just had my question answered by this video: http://youtu.be/nJeCIuPf7lo - at about 3:30 the demonstrator is doing exactly what I was wondering about!

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:42 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

That was shown in my video link on a tablet too, but explained in german.

Nov 11, 2012 at 07:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikegrados
• •
p.8 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

How much of a factor do you think the size of the body will play into the 6D sales to pros or semi-pros? I'll be honest, and as I'm considering this camera...if I were a paying customer and my photog broke out something the size of a rebel, without knowing anything else, I might be slightly concerned. Of course I know that the size of the body has no correlation to the quality of the image...but it is embarrassingly weighing on my mind. On the flip side...I can see pairing this with a tablet on-location could be a superb pro touch when you can display your just created images to your client on a large screen vs. the back of camera LCD.

Now, for someone using this not as a business tool, but for leisure and travel...I honestly think this is Canon's best price to features body available.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:03 PM
mirageII
• •
p.8 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The 6D is similar in size to a 60D which is much bigger than a rebel. A gripped 60D looks pretty professional too if size matters!

60D vs 6D
http://camerasize.com/compare/#100,380

650D vs 6D
http://camerasize.com/compare/#333,380

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

mikegrados wrote:
How much of a factor do you think the size of the body will play into the 6D sales to pros or semi-pros? I'll be honest, and as I'm considering this camera...if I were a paying customer and my photog broke out something the size of a rebel, without knowing anything else, I might be slightly concerned. Of course I know that the size of the body has no correlation to the quality of the image...but it is embarrassingly weighing on my mind. On the flip side...I can see pairing this with a tablet on-location could be a superb pro
...Show more

Sorry Mike. I would call myself a "pro" and I do not care about size as long it feels comfortable in use. 6D felt excellent in my hands. So long YOU yourself do not care about what your customer thinks about your gear, they will neither (my experience). And I would not use a tablet to show my customers the pics I take while shooting. I would use this primary to ensure that I caught the motive in focus where I want to have it - or maybe if I need a decission from my customer.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:35 PM
juanpesandi

p.8 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Hello.

How is everyone?

I just have a quick question because I'm thinking to upgrade either to the 5d Mark II or 6d, but the 6D does not convince me yet. I want to know if you can tell me if the 6d will be as good as the 5d Mark II for Portraits. I am talking about image quality. I'm scared that if I buy the 6d and it's not as good for portrait as the 5d Mark II, I'm going to regret it. I've read people saying that it will be worse than the 5d Mark II, so that keeps me from preordering the 6d. If I'm buying the 6d, I want it to have better or equal quality as the 5d Mark II.

Thank you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.8 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Hello Juan,

I am fine .

Concerning your question: Who could be able to answer it? As far as I know, those who had the 6D in their hands without signing a non-disclosure where not allowed to safe images (like me). In specs 6D looks better than 5D II in all features except 1/4000th compared to 1/8000 and 1MP less resolution. Both items are not necessary for portraits.
It felt even better in my hands than the 5D II, my favorite camera I used the last 3.5 years.
Concerning IQ 6D offers a new sensor, nobody knows much (if not anything) about. As far I remember in the past newer sensors usually beets their older counterparts. I guess it will be the same here but there are only a couple of sample pics out in the net, two of them portraits that do not look very crisp (imo). I guess, most of us interested people (like me) are waiting for more or even better for "real" pics, done by "real shooters" with production bodies available for sale.

Ralph

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:07 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.8 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I handled the EOS 6D a few days ago at the Salon de la Photo in Paris. I wasn’t allowed to put a memory card in it (but handheld shots at a fair wouldn’t tell us much anyway, which is probably why Canon doesn’t want anyone taking photos there).

I was pleasantly surprised by how the camera sits in the hand. It feels more solid than the Nikon D600, perhaps because there’s more metal in it. In my experience, Nikons usually feel more solid than Canons (EOS-1-series excepted), so this was surprising. The feeling is ‘light but tough’. The viewfinder is comfortable and good. I like the built-in GPS (I often use an external GPS with my Nikon). I don’t care about Wi-Fi, but this feature will be a big selling point in a couple of years.

One thing I like about the 6D is how narrow it is from front to back. There’s no built-in flash sticking forward from the pentaprism area, so the camera packs neater and smaller than a Nikon. Definitely a nice camera.

About the sensor: it’s interesting that Google Translate produces the following sentence from this Japanese page:

“The newly developed CMOS sensor, introducing a process miniaturization in semiconductor process CMOS”

Can anyone among us read Japanese?

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.8 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

S Dilworth wrote:
About the sensor: it’s interesting that Google Translate produces the following sentence from this Japanese page:

“The newly developed CMOS sensor, introducing a process miniaturization in semiconductor process CMOS”

The 6D is becoming more intriguing...

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.8 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I think we’d better wait for a Japanese speaker. And even then, remember it’s only marketing copy.

In any case, my limited knowledge of sensor design makes me wonder whether a new process technology would substantially improve performance with 6.55-micron pixels. It might only make a difference with smaller pixels.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.8 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

How much of a factor do you think the size of the body will play into the 6D sales to pros or semi-pros

In general there is some tendency among professional photographers to go smaller. It's not a big move, but there have been professionals who changed from a DSLR Leica M, Fuji Pro-X and to NEX OM-D systems. Reporters and photojournalists, streetphotographers and even some wedding photographers made the kind of switch to smaller and less obtrusive cameras.

I expect the 6D to get more attention from professionals than expected. The WiFi and remote control capabilities are great value for landscape photographers, portrait and studio work. Since this is the first Canon camera that comes with this capability built in I expect lot of 5D class shooters and even some professionals with 1D series cameras to buy a 6D as a backup for shooting conditions where wireless remote is more than just EOSfun. For many occasions it will be just the way to get the shot. Imagine what a remote controlled camera at an event or sport contest can do for photograpers. For safety reasons or disturbance of a spectacle photography might not be allowed now, while a remote control camera is a great solution. In that way the 6D is gonna pave the way for new kinds of applications for amateur and pro.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:11 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.8 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I think we’d better wait for a Japanese speaker. And even then, remember it’s only marketing copy.

It is marketing speak, believe me Anyway, the new 180 nanometer wafers that produce parts of the 6D sensor are developed to reduce noise at high ISO and enhance dynamic range. I bet Canon's 6d will have a great sensor. It might even be better in some ways than the 5D mk III sensor. Let's wait for the EOSfun of it until a few weeks from now Then we will be able to get our hands on a copy ourselves and do the first real life tests.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password