Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29              35       36       end

6D - hands on & first experience

ciprian.trofin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
I guess I would not use GPS intensive (if). So it is easy not to switch it on.

Or, as Mashuto said, put it into your favorites menu.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50 AM
e.aland
• •
p.28 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

just to report:
this thread is one of the major reasons why i ordered the 6d today.
i look at it as a 5D Mark II Mark II.
cannot wait to mount the 50L or 200L f2.8 on this tiny body

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Mashuto

p.28 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ciprian.trofin wrote:
It is true and it is by design. Check page 42 in EOS 6D WiFi and GPS Instruction Manual.

I found this behavior to be OK, since it is about GPS Logging. IMHO GPS logging is about documenting you route, and should be on - if enabled - no matter the status of camera. I agree it depletes the battery, but if the user forgets it on, it's rather his problem

Yes its true and it is by design and stated right there in the manual. The part that bothers me is that its true and by design regardless of whether you have logging enabled. I totally understand keeping the GPS on when the camera shuts off if you are logging your route, but why leave it on when you arent? And regardless of whether the camera sleeps or you actually shut it off. If I am out shooting a bunch and the camera sleeps for a few minutes in between shots, I am fine with the GPS staying on then so that I still have a lock when I go and pick it up. But when I actually turn the camera off I want the GPS off. I would rather wait the extra 60 seconds or however long it takes to get a lock than run down the battery.

I am still happy there is GPS in the camera and as I said, its in my favorites menu and I dont mind having to turn it on and off before and after I am done shooting.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:14 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.28 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Mashuto wrote:
The part that bothers me is that its true and by design regardless of whether you have logging enabled.

Well, I missed that part. However, I think there is a reason behind this: the thing I love most about DSLRs is how fast one can start it and shoot - I expect everything (incl. GPS) to be ready. If I have to wait 60s to aquire GPS lock, I won't mind another 10s to enable it.

Anyway, thanks for the favorites menu tip. When I'll buy this camera, I'll follow your advice

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:12 PM
nalax

Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

It was this thread that got me interested in the 6D. Thanks!
I sold the 5dII and started looking at the d600 and 6d as I have glass for both.
What it came down to was the ergos, the d600 wasn't the camera I wanted to be holding for several hours shooting events and the 6d was. So I got a 6d from Samys.

Yesterday I shot staff portraits of a financial firm and every shot was in focus It was strobe lighting so that made it easy. 6d with 70-200/4
Next week I have a large university event planned with mostly available light (last year shot 1600-3200). I've been practicing at 6400 and it looks very good so far. The low light AF is very good. Will be mostly 24-70 and 70-200/2.8
The next day is a cyclocross race but the 6d won't be the main camera for that but I'll give it a try.

My main gripe so far is batteries. I don't know why Canon made changes in the LP-E6 and charger. I have an older Canon LP-E6 that won't charge in the new charger and it doesn't communicate with the 6d nor do generics. Samy's did give me an extra LP-E6 so that helps.

Just one more opinion. The 40mm on the 6d is like using a big compact camera, very portable!

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.28 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I started a thread a few months back stating that the 6D would potentially be a great landscapers camera and quickly got berated for making such a comment. I got my camera today, and I'm more confident than ever that I made the right move. Autofocus is better than the 5D2 and the Dynamic Range seems to be improved as well. I'm very happy with my purchase, and the money I saved.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.28 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

nalax wrote:
Just one more opinion. The 40mm on the 6d is like using a big compact camera, very portable!

I'm in for a 40mm someday soon, such a sharp lens, small and great for pano's too. Coupled with a 6d (If I buy one) will make quite a small slr setup.

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:55 PM
alvit
• • •
p.28 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Me also do not understand, WHY the GPS is running when the camera is OFF
Same for the WiFi, why I should need to send my taken pics to my Phone??

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.28 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

alvit wrote:
Same for the WiFi, why I should need to send my taken pics to my Phone??

GPS is a separate entity for good reasons. You can use it to log a trip even if the camera is off, it also takes time to calculate your position, its easier to do this on a rolling continuous basis. Infact one of the problems with gps in cameras is that cameras are so instant and gps is not (phones tend to have tricks that use the cell tower locations as a good fast starting point).

Wifi, well if you dont see the need dont use it. It has a lot of fun uses for people who want to give it a go.

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:37 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I'm really liking all the comments so far, gotta wait until spring to get the 6D, keep going with your updates all and thanks a bunch for reporting your findings, you're making me

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.28 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

alvit wrote:

For the same reason Hansel and Gretel left a trail of bread crumbs as they walked, rather than waiting until they were at the witch's house to dump all the crumbs.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Mashuto

p.28 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Yea I totally understand the reason they keep the GPS running, I just sort of wished that it actually shut off when switched off, but could stay on during stand by... Personal preference, but not that big of a deal.

Planning to get out for a day of shooting tomorrow, I just hate my area during the winter, not very photogenic. Might even attempt to beat the sunrise... Of course that's 6 hours from now, so we will see.

Jan 05, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.28 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

BrianO wrote:
For the same reason Hansel and Gretel left a trail of bread crumbs as they walked, rather than waiting until they were at the witch's house to dump all the crumbs.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:59 AM
alvit
• • •
p.28 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

BrianO wrote:

No no no, my question was, why still dump the crumbs at the witch house ?

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.28 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Choose one answer:

A) Rescue helicopters will see the house earlier.
B) Crumbs go moldy in your trousers pocket.
C) The witch will eat them first.

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:13 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Choose one answer:

A) Rescue helicopters will see the house earlier.
B) Crumbs go moldy in your trousers pocket.
C) The witch will eat them first.

Ralph I'll pick 'D' the crumbs were an attempt at miss-direction, there was a keg round the back of the Witch's house...who knew

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.28 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

And snowwhite is doing the service?

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:59 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
And snowwhite is doing the service?

Hmm...doing the service...no need to translate, yes of course she will, but only with 6D in one hand; you know the button layout...geez, Canon kinda got something right; no joystick tho...oh well.

Thanks for the smile Ralph...
Jerry

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.28 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I was thinking of snowwhite bringing us two beer outside of the witches house while a warm summer rain drenching her white blouse ...

But lets get back to the threads topic, when the beer is finished ...

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:22 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
I was thinking of snowwhite bringing us two beer outside of the witches house while a warm summer rain drenching her white blouse ...

But lets get back to the threads topic, when the beer is finished ...

Rain drenched white blouse...I just choked on my schnitzel, another beer please

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:41 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password