Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Cross fingers the 6D's AF is as good or better than the 5D2...center point recompose is fine by me
- it's got MFA and you can adjust AF gain
- has interchangeable focusing screens
- it's lighter and has WiFi n GPS

My bank is ready to rock, just want to see RAW images...
LR4 has been ordered and my lappy is being upgraded to WIN7
Just waiting for the REAL reviews...the 5D3 is only about $1K higher if necessary...more L glass would be nice tho

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Y0GI

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz wrote:
Cross fingers the 6D's AF is as good or better than the 5D2...center point recompose is fine by me
- it's got MFA and you can adjust AF gain
- has interchangeable focusing screens
- it's lighter and has WiFi n GPS

My bank is ready to rock, just want to see RAW images...
LR4 has been ordered and my lappy is being upgraded to WIN7
Just waiting for the REAL reviews...the 5D3 is only about $1K higher if necessary...more L glass would be nice tho

What do you mean by "AF Gain"? Maybe there is another term that I'm used to hearing, but I've never heard of AF Gain before.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:44 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.17 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Y0GI wrote:
What do you mean by "AF Gain"? Maybe there is another term that I'm used to hearing, but I've never heard of AF Gain before.

Sorry, should have used a more descriptive term than gain. I was referring to the acceleration, deceleration controls of the 6D's AF, for AI Servo Focus Tracking. Both the 5D3 and 1DX have these options; they allow you to fine tune the AF...although I'm guessing not quite as adjustable or granular as the premium bodies, but it's a bonus if it helps!
Jerry

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:11 AM
ronno
• •
p.17 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

that was my reading, too but the written word speeks different. I asked Roger in the blog please to explain.

here is the explanation he gave:

"Roger Cicala said:
Ralph, this is 6D Live view (blue) versus 6D autofocus (red). The other graph was just autofocus of 5DII versus 5D III. You can see the AF of the 6D is very similar to the 5DII in the first article a bit spread out. The 5DIII graph from the other article was tight, like the Live View of the 6D is on the 6D of this graph.
6D = 5DII as far as autofocus accuracy on single point for still shots, both are not as good as live view. 5DIII is as good as live view.
Roger"

So it looks like using center AF for static subjects, 6D=5D II.
And the 5D III is WAY ahead of them both, and it is far ahead of the 1Ds3 as well.

Now we need some tests of the outer points ;-)

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Prashr

p.17 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Some RAW files from the 6D.

Taken from this thread at DPReview.

This is the other link for 6D RAW files.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.17 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Wow. In stock at b&h. Time to get one.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:04 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.17 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

In stock at Amazon as well, 11 left body only as of 30 seconds ago...
Still gonna wait until REAL detailed production reviews and images are published...
And the 1st firmware is updated...I'm a patient dude; kinda

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:15 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.17 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ronno wrote:
6D = 5DII as far as autofocus accuracy on single point for still shots ...

And considering that 5DII = 5Dc, we have 6D = 5Dc.
In other words, welcome to ... 2005.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:20 AM
ronno
• •
p.17 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

And considering that 5DII = 5Dc, we have 6D = 5Dc.
In other words, welcome to ... 2005.

Not really.

The 6D works in the DARK, unlike the 5D and 5D2.
(it will AF down to -3 EV I think...) And I think the 5D2 only works until -0.5. Big difference there.

Which translates into: it will work better most of time (even in daylight) when trying to focus on dark clothing or any dark or low contrast subject. this is worth a lot IMO.

Also it is said that the periphery points are much better now with the 6D.

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 04:34 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:57 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.17 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ronno wrote:
Not really.

(it will AF down to -3 EV I think...) And I think the 5D2 only works until +0.5. Big difference there.

Which translates into: it will work better most of time (even in daylight) when trying to focus on dark clothing or any dark or low contrast subject. this is worth a lot IMO.

5D and 5D2, -0.5 to +18 EV
5D3, -2 to +18 EV
6D, -3 to +18 EV (Center point) +0.5 to +18 EV (Outer points)

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.17 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ronno wrote:
Not really.

(it will AF down to -3 EV I think...) And I think the 5D2 only works until +0.5. Big difference there.

+1 ronno

For many it may be the perfect entry into FF and the benefits this sized sensor brings with it will be exploited as best possible. Three decades as a 35mm film shooter, one with a disability, the lighter weight of the 6D; it's WiFi/Smartphone pairing, are huge pluses!

The 6D lets me get back to no crop factor shooting with a digital body. There are many who see this entry level FF as a disappointment, I'm not one of those that see this body in that negative light. For me with all it's newer tech it's seems just prefect for my style of shooting, it's a fantastic lower cost alternative that may make it easier for me physically to shoot FF...

Back in 07 the 40D struck a great balance of tech and was my entry into digital. A kit with that old trusty crop body and a new tech FF body will make a great combo in 2013. Why am I really waiting, I need to save a bit more to get the new 24-70 f4L IS to complete my f4L glass!

To those that get the 6D early, have lots of eosfun and please post some images for this slow adopter...I've got me a Ginko to shoot tomorrow, it's blush is pure yellow, lets hope it doesn't rain much tomorrow so my crap 40D with 17-40L can handle it
Happy holidays all
Jerry

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:30 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.17 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ronno wrote:
Not really.

Sure. It's a new camera, so it must be better. Right .

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:41 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.17 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jorkata wrote:
Sure. It's a new camera, so it must be better, right .

Nope, it's lighter and will let me remote with my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus Tablet...well guess you're right it's new

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:00 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.17 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Aside from the lighter weight and price (for which the 5D II is probably a better deal) and the wifi-gps features, I see no point to getting this camera.
No popup flash, no dual sd cards, cheap plastic build, gimped AF.

Just pony up the extra for a 5d III or save some 600 and get a 5d II used.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:06 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.17 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

StillFingerz wrote:
... it's lighter and will let me remote with my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus Tablet...

Excellent. I guess you are the target market.
I'm not so excited about gimmicks and I wouldn't pay $2100 for FF Rebel ... but that's just me .

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:08 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.17 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

We all have a choice now. What is a gimmick for some is of great value for others, "jorkarta". What I experienced about AF by my own and read now by others, convinced me, that this new camera offers great value over the 5D II (for me). The new AF-system of 5D III vice verza is just a nice gimmick over it. No need to have (again for me).
The higher DR and less noise compared to 5D III are very welcome, too. Like smaller size/weight is. If IQ in general turns out as comparable my decission will go for 6D, too. Even it lost the joystick.
The only open question now is about the harsh NR and resharpening the given JPEG samples show. Is the given AA filter (my guess) and new sensor combination able to produce comparable sharp images? I guess I will find out soon. If not, -2 EV of 5D III is a great step forward coming from 5D II. And thanks to Nikon it looks like FF soon will not be a cost intensive decission any longer. Even 5D III prices are falling at least.

Ralph

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:59 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.17 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

jorkata wrote:
Excellent. I guess you are the target market.
I'm not so excited about gimmicks and I wouldn't pay $2100 for FF Rebel ... but that's just me .

Ah, you troll.

Yes, we probably are the target market with our Rebel xxD bodies or 5D2's wanting a more compact and lighter body with better sensor performance.

Now why don't you head on to the pro forum or one of the xD threads and leave us simple suckers here to discuss this new body.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.17 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ukkisavosta wrote:
Ah, you troll.

Yes, we probably are the target market with our Rebel xxD bodies or 5D2's wanting a more compact and lighter body with better sensor performance.

Now why don't you head on to the pro forum or one of the xD threads and leave us simple suckers here to discuss this new body.

Thank you for the kind words Jaakko. I appreciate to be part of this "simple succkers" community.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:32 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.17 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph, it is my pleasure.

We simple suckers must make a stand sometimes, with all the bashing going on.

Jaakko

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:57 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.17 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ukkisavosta wrote:
Ralph, it is my pleasure.

We simple suckers must make a stand sometimes, with all the bashing going on.

Jaakko

Sorry but what bashing? He didn't call you any names. Why do you have to take it personally?

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password