Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              35       36       end

6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I guess there is noone sitting at Canon mentioning: "What else could we do to drive our customers grazy? Ah! Lets put in some SD-cards instead of CF!"

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design.

SD is well established. Even I do not like the size (my fingers may be to clumpsy) and the much more expensive CF cards are faster, I guess they will work fine.

The change I am not happy about is from joystick to this new (old - already been in 60D) multi-in-wheel-thing.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.13 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design

Effects on body size are minor. SD has less vulnerable contacts, it is an interface standard supported by much more devices than CF. Also, an SD connector is cheaper to build in the camera in the first place, I am sure that was more important to Canon engineers than any other consideration.

Have EOSfun

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.13 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Migrating to SD cards is not such a big revolution as many make it out to be. Au contraire: SD cards are smaller and almost every laptop has a card reader. Also, there is nothing special about CF cards, and a CF slot does not make the body any more professional. Like eosfun points out, SD card slots don't have any pins that can bend or break, and you can be very sloppy and carefree when you insert/remove the card. Furthermore, the card won't pop out on the floor like a CF will, if you happen to press the release button too hard. What's not to like about SD?

As for the 60D style multi-selector, that is indeed a bit of a let-down. You get used to it, but it is not right next to your thumb like the joystick on the 5D2. I use the separate button and front wheel to select the AF point myself, because it is faster and less fiddly that way. The multi-selector is not really useful during shooting, it's basically there for browsing images and using the menu.

Jaakko

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM
nalax

Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
I guess there is noone sitting at Canon mentioning: "What else could we do to drive our customers grazy? Ah! Lets put in some SD-cards instead of CF!"

I prefere the idea they did it for size to get a smaller body design.

SD is well established. Even I do not like the size (my fingers may be to clumpsy) and the much more expensive CF cards are faster, I guess they will work fine.

The change I am not happy about is from joystick to this new (old - already been in 60D) multi-in-wheel-thing.

I'm hoping that the 6d multi-wheel functions better than the one in the 60d. I found that the 60d wheel to slower and somewhat fumbly compared to the joy stick. But I'll be able to live with it along with the SD cards.

I'm looking forward to the slightly smaller body and hopefully improved higher ISO which will be the ticket for shooting day long events.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:24 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.13 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The AF system in 6D has just a few points, users will mostly use the center. The joystick use would be rather limited. It makes sense for AF point selection in 7D/5D3/1D but not really for anything else.

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.13 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ciprian.trofin wrote:
The AF system in 6D has just a few points, users will mostly use the center. The joystick use would be rather limited. It makes sense for AF point selection in 7D/5D3/1D but not really for anything else.

I use it permanetly on my 5D II for srolling through a zoomed in image.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:22 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.13 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

ciprian.trofin wrote:

That depends. I regularly use the outer focus points on my 60D. Although I do agree that scrolling through the 9 focus points is pretty quick without a joystick as well.

Jaakko

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:48 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.13 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

A refurbished 5D2 for $1320 direct from canon...damn them

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.13 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

5D II is still a wonderful camera body, Jerry.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:44 AM
devaulrg
• •
p.13 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Don't think this has been posted yet...

Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

senzazn12
• •
p.13 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

This might turn out to be a good DSLR. Nice to know the outer AF points work better than 5D II.

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:36 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.13 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

devaulrg wrote:
...Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

That shot of the book lit by the "kerosene-lantern" lamp reminds me of an available-light shot I did some years back using Kodak Ektar 1000...only this one looks even better. Amazingly low noise for 12,800 ISO.

I had to use a tripod and really slow shutter; this one is done at 1/200! (It could also have been done at 1/100 and f/8 for even more DoF to get the book more in focus, which wouod have been my choice.)

I'm putting this camera on my short list for sure.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:48 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.13 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

devaulrg wrote:
Some more samples: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/galleries/sample-images/canon/34718/2/canon-eos-6d-beta-image-sample-gallery.html

Definitely some heavy NR here. But it's still impressive, especially when compared against 5D3 here

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:50 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.13 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

thw2 wrote:
Definitely some heavy NR here. But it's still impressive, especially when compared against 5D3 here

Woah!

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:28 AM
MayaTlab

p.13 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

If jpeg pictures are any indication, the 6D's performance at high ISO seems to be closer to the 1D X than the 5D III. Let's see if it's also quite good at low ISOs.

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:56 AM
pixelpix
• •
p.13 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Digital Rev just posted their prices in their online store.... $2300 Australian Body Only and $3200 Australian for the 24-105 Kit. Let's hope those intro prices don't stick around for long.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:00 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.13 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The amazon preorder price here in germany went already down about 18 . In fact that does not meen much, because at first it was priced about 17 over the given MSPR.

By the way: This picture set is the first convincing me in terms of sharpness, too. Thank you for this link, devaulrg.

Ralph

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:34 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.13 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Woah!

You name it!

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.13 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Manuals are published now. Thank you "thw2":

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168947/0#11145244

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Erizza

p.13 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Didnt see this mentioned on here but it looks like the release date at least in the US is firming up.

Preorderd at Best Buy with a ship date of December 9th.

B&H and Adorama both now show 12/10 as the release date also.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password