Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Pieria

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

I have a d4 also, never had any issues so far. I use my 400 vr all the time, i shoot high school football, and never had a problem with my lens getting stuck. Also came from d3s, and i think the autofocus is much better more keepers with CH bursts , high iso the same with d3s, better dynamic range, and as far as xqd cards, personally i don t have a problem with. I love my d4.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Mine had AF issues, it was good for 95% of the shots, but the AF seemed to freeze up once it locked onto something, but again it could have been user error, but I have heavy exp with many camera's and know what a feel for is AF

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Fstr.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Mine has no problems, works great.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:50 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

My issue with the D4 is that I don't have enough time for it.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:29 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

My friend has been Nikon for years but doesn't really like the general feel of the d4. He's less than impressed with the screen. He doesn't feel like the low light AF is great. He also doesn't love the new format cards.

Overall he was pretty happy with the d3s but doesn't love the d4. He's since switched to Canon.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:28 AM
capttcb
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

I've been a D4 owner for about a month. I'd say I've put about 4000-5000 (nature stuff) shots through it without a single issue. I mostly use a 400mm VR and it's never been stuck. I love the XQD cards. I came from a gripped D700. I've very happy with the D4

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:44 AM
jamez
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Jonathan wrote:
I'm having the very same issues as you Matt.

Same problem here. Incredible combination with the 200-400.
I've embraced XQD for my local system, but I'm sure it's a dead format - 1 year and only 1 adopter (D4).

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:32 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

jamez wrote:
I've embraced XQD for my local system, but I'm sure it's a dead format - 1 year and only 1 adopter (D4).

Perhaps Nikon will retrofit it with another CF slot in a year or two for free.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:49 PM
DJS3813

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

If your getting a new D4, you don't get the xqd card/reader for free anymore. I have not had any of the issues mentioned.

I have had shutter oil splattered over the sensor, but cleaning seems to help that. I don't see it as much now.

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:12 PM
patricksmith04
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Wanted to bump this before I pulled the trigger on a D4. Thanks!

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Pull it mate. You won't be disappointed.

Don't get drawn in by the internet amplification effect. Whilst there have been issues experienced by some users you have to appreciate that the majority have had none whatsoever. All electronic devices will have small batches that experience problems, its just life, and its usually only the people who have problems who speak about their experience online. Those who have had no problems are out there shooting and loving their camera. The Same would have been true of the D3S, D3, D2, D700 etc, 1DX, 1D mk4 etc etc.

Buy the camera and get on with enjoying this beast

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:58 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

Pull the trigger!

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

patricksmith04 wrote:
I rarely ever post on these boards minus the classifieds, but I am very curious about the Nikon D4. I was ready to unload my Nikon D3S for one, but kept reading and hearing about some nightmares of the D4, including:

- Green tint on LCD
- Lenses getting stuck on the D4 body
- Focus jumping in and out head on (sports)
- High ISO being equivalent as D3S
- QXD card being pointless

So I was wondering how many owners have had these issues or know of someone that has? For me, the LCD and lenses getting stuck terrifies me for a $6,000
...Show more

this is my working tool.

- no tint never had the issue. I only use it to occasionally review a shot. it is not a color accurate screen
- never a stuck lens
- someone doesn't know how to use the product. no focus jumping. actually lock on better then the D3(s)
- actually not quite as high but close enough to make it too close to call. oh but there is the 1EV increase in dynamic range that gets added in on the D4. it can produce an overall better image when used with thought.
- XQD is my primary card. it is a superior design to standard CF. what I dislike about it is that it mounts and dismounts like an SD card but it works.

is this going to be a working tool?

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

mshi wrote:
Perhaps Nikon will retrofit it with another CF slot in a year or two for free.

it's not just a slot. it is the PCIe
support

i'm not too worried about it.

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

My D4 is 4 or 5 months old and I not had any of the problems you mentioned. However, I have not used it often with fast action sports moving at the camera.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:47 AM
LD_50

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

- Green tint on LCD:
I haven't had a noticeable issue with this. I shoot RAW and judge color on my computer monitor. Comparing to my D700 and iPhone I see a difference (iPhone warmest, D700 most accurate, D4 slightly yellow/green) but this doesn't change how I shoot.

- Lenses getting stuck on the D4 body
I've never had or even heard of this issue. I frequently change between 14-24, 24-70,70-200 and 2x converter.

- Focus jumping in and out head on (sports)
I have previously shot a D200 and D700 and have only seen improvements with the D4. The 70-200 Nikor works as well as I could expect in terms of AF performance. I don't shoot a lot of sports but have shot soccer without issue.

- High ISO being equivalent as D3S
I've not shot a D3S but think the D4 very slightly outperforms my D700.

- QXD card being pointless
I have purchased larger and faster cards with each camera upgrade (to D200, D700, and D4) so have no issue with the QXD change. In fact I prefer this format to CF and SD. I don't see the issue with new formats as I tend to upgrade so as to avoid the card format being a limiting factor in shooting performance. I see this as a non-issue. QXD outperforms all my previous cards. I would have preferred dual QXD slots.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:11 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

XQD

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:08 AM
rxgolf
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

"We did a direct comparison with the 300f4+ 1.4TC on D4 and 1Dx + 100-400 at 400 for BIF."

I first wrote a long list of problems I had with this statement but after reading it I sounded like a total jerk. Therefore, I will just state that having owned both cameras mentioned, I found the focus performance on the 1Dx to exceed that of any camera I have ever used! Many others have stated the same, but of course both are state of the art.
Greg

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:59 AM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

no issues other than not having enough time to use it.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:46 PM
steve_c1

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D4 owners...issues?

I have not had a single issue with my D4. In my opinion, it is a superb instrument.
Like a number of people who have replied, I shoot RAW and all color work is done on the PC. I rarely use the screen for anything other than composition and checking the histogram(s) for exposure

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:52 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password