Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

markhout
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Has anyone ever tried to focus a D800/E with liveview through an electronic viewfinder or on-camera monitor, using the hdmi output?

I am doing landscape/studio work using liveview only, and a evf would be a great alternative to the camera's LCD screen, if possible.

Thanks for any input.

Mark

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I've used it on a 42" 1080P LCD TV. It's a bigger view for sure, but the clarity of the HDMI feed was no different (or better) than the feed supplied to the LCD.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Steve464

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I have used an ASUS android pad, there are couple of apps available. It works reasonably well, feeds off of the USB3 plug

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:03 PM
markhout
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Steve464 wrote:
I have used an ASUS android pad, there are couple of apps available. It works reasonably well, feeds off of the USB3 plug

Thank you both - that USB3 idea sounds interesting!

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

What cable do you need to connect the D800 to an Android tablet, and what apps are available? Sorry for being a newb here...

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Steve464

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

carstenw wrote:
What cable do you need to connect the D800 to an Android tablet, and what apps are available? Sorry for being a newb here...

The cable comes with the camera, or ( I think) any usb3 cable and one of the apps is Helicon remote. Works reasonably well, they all drain the battery very fast while using. I use it with the ASUS Xfrmr pad.

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I have a NEXUS-7 kicking around which I don't use much (I prefer my iPad 3, but got a great deal on the NEXUS), but if this works it might save me the money for a SmallHD DP-4 I have been thinking about. It would be great if Helicon remote did focus peaking. I will look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:39 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I tried a Lilliput 7 inch and it is good for the money, but not as high resolution as the Camera LCD
The Camax 5.6 inch H056 is a lot better and has focus peaking.
I mount it on my TriPod so I can shoot Video 360 degrees while seated in Church.

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:32 AM
Misty Mountain

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I use my D800 mainly for video and I use the Zacuto EVF. It is awesome! it has an eye cup to block out sunlight. It comes with an HDMI cable and has a lot of cool features like focus assist, zebra stripes (helps exposure, etc. Also the colors are pretty true. You can mount it on the hotshoe if you don't have a rail system which allows you to hold it like a Hassablad which makes it easier to steady handheld shots.

I highly recommend it for people needing to use Live View outside.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Misty Mountain wrote:
I use my D800 mainly for video and I use the Zacuto EVF. It is awesome! it has an eye cup to block out sunlight. It comes with an HDMI cable and has a lot of cool features like focus assist, zebra stripes (helps exposure, etc. Also the colors are pretty true. You can mount it on the hotshoe if you don't have a rail system which allows you to hold it like a Hassablad which makes it easier to steady handheld shots.

I highly recommend it for people needing to use Live View outside.

Does this get around the crappy live view implementation (line skipping etc)?

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Misty Mountain

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Alistair1 wrote:

Does this get around the crappy live view implementation (line skipping etc)?

It does come out in a 1080p signal so I think it does. The picture is beautiful but it only has a 3.2" screen. I have the EVF Pro which has basically every feature under the sun for this product.

http://www.zacuto.com/zfinderevf?utm_source=sidebar&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=datafeed&utm_campaign=ZFinderEVF

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

The Zacuto and the SmallHD are the two most attractive affordable but high-quality solution that I have found. There is lots of information on both, including side-by-side reviews like this one:

Both have their fans, and I don't see any killer argument for either. I personally prefer the SmallHD for its larger size and a couple of other things, but would probably be happy with both.

Nov 11, 2012 at 07:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Specifically, it seems that many of the Zacuto's strengths are in the video field, whereas the SmallHD is stronger in the DSLR/stills segment, which is where my interest is.

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:37 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Misty Mountain wrote:
It does come out in a 1080p signal so I think it does. The picture is beautiful but it only has a 3.2" screen. I have the EVF Pro which has basically every feature under the sun for this product.

http://www.zacuto.com/zfinderevf?utm_source=sidebar&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=datafeed&utm_campaign=ZFinderEVF

The HDMI feed out of the D800 has the same interpolation/line-skipping as the internal feed seen on the LCD.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

snapsy wrote:
The HDMI feed out of the D800 has the same interpolation/line-skipping as the internal feed seen on the LCD.

I keep on hearing that it is "clean". Is that BS?

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

Alistair1 wrote:
I keep on hearing that it is "clean". Is that BS?

"Clean" only refers to the fact that the HDMI feed has no on-screen menu overlays.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

The LV feed is still line skipped. This is a function of the sensor readout, not the piece of equipment you view the feed on. One of the many things you've had to sacrifice to implement video on the sensor type the D800/D600/D7000 uses.

I've often wondered why they didn't limit LV/video feed to 10-bit signals, then they could have used a full-scan readout to build the image.

Having a larger screen (I use a laptop, USB and camera control pro in stead, then you can review the result immediately) does help immensely.
But focusing at 50% full resolution is not an accuracy problem on the LCD on the camera as far as I've noticed. That is three clicks up on the "+" button.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

theSuede wrote:
The LV feed is still line skipped. This is a function of the sensor readout, not the piece of equipment you view the feed on. One of the many things you've had to sacrifice to implement video on the sensor type the D800/D600/D7000 uses.

I've often wondered why they didn't limit LV/video feed to 10-bit signals, then they could have used a full-scan readout to build the image.

I'm more surprised that they didn't use the selective window readout feature that's been available on previous Exmor sensors and presumably is available on the 36MP sensor as well. That would have given the D800 the same pixel-accurate 1:1 view that's available on the D7000/D5100's LV and also significantly improved the quality of the LV feed in low light.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800/E liveview through hdmi?

I think Nikon is doing as good as they can.
They are still new to Video.
If you know what you are talking about, go to their website and give them your suggestions and feedback.
They do monitor our Forums but are getting mixed messages here that adds to their confusion.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.