Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

Any relatively inexpensive way for me to fire my PCB Einteins using a point and shoot such as the Sony RX100?

The RX100 does not have manual flash mode nor a hot shoe. The pre-flash, even dialed down to -2EV is too fast and fires off the Einstein before the RX100 shutter.

Just wondering if anyone here can provide some ideas.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:14 PM
rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

If shooting in a controlled low-light setting, you can trigger the studio lights by hand with camera flash disabled. This approach is free. Otherwise, I'm quite sure you can rig a PocketWizard MultiMAX and Wein optical slave for a programmable delay. Cost: $200-300.

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:03 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

It's not that the pre-flash is too fast, it's that it is a pre-flash. This will be true with all cameras that have a pre-flash. "Pre" flash is basically a test flash before the "real" flash so no matter what you do with it you will have problems.

There are optical *digital* slave flash triggers that can ignore the first flash and respond to the second. Again, the first flash is the pre-flash. If you do go this route make sure it specifically says it is 'for TTL' and will 'ignore/disregard the pre-flash'.

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:57 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

Thanks for the info rico and cordellwills.

I'm probably not going to Mutiwizard path to spending a few hundred $$ to get this to work though. I'll have a go triggering the Einstein manually with a wireless trigger and see if I can "sync" that with my shutter press.

Do you have a link to the optical trigger that can ignore the first flash? I went to Wein's site and did not see any mention of one that can ignore the first flash, http://www.weinproducts.com/batteryfree.htm

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

I found this on B&H, I guess this should be it? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764719-REG/Nisha_FSU_DIG_Programmable_Digital_Slave_Unit.html

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:16 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

You're welcome

Yes, that's an example of one to use. I've seen cheaper one's on ebay (of course), but I've never used one.

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:43 PM
rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

Finally tested some gear, and results were distinctly mixed.

First subject was a P&S, the Lumix FX150. This one doesn't appear to emit preflash and therefore works with the optical slave of my pack. Case closed.

Second subject was the Nikon D5100. Pack's optical slave detected preflash and fired at the wrong time. The pack (Profoto D4) offers programmable delays of 10ms, and I homed in on the fastest setting that worked. Unfortunately, this required a shutter speed of 1/6sec - even in a studio, not good. My conclusion is that a delay of greater precision is needed. So, I turned to the next configuration, PocketWizard MultiMAX paired with Wein Peanut.

The Peanut is prehistoric in design, and finicky. It will not, under any circumstance, trigger my more modern flashes like Canon 550EX, Nikon SB-800, or Contax TLA360. It will (with caveats) trigger the MultiMAX, classic Contax TLA30 and Leica SF 20.

Connected to the MultiMAX, the Peanut refused to trigger when the flash fired from the Lumix or D5100, but it would trigger when I discharged the TLA30 at close range. Let's call that a dismal failure. Connected to the TLA30, the Peanut was very sensitive to the Lumix flash and triggered reliably. Oddly, the TLA30 discharged at full power even though I set 1/16 power - didn't think that was possible. Regardless, the latter combo was not useful to introducing a delay (the MultiMAX offers programmable delays of 0.1ms).

Conclusion: Using studio lights with cameras that preflash will require delay precision of 1ms or finer. Wein Peanut is practically unworkable unless you're willing to reverse-engineer the damn thing.

P.S. I discovered the D5100 can be operated with its preflash disabled. In this mode, flash power can be specified manually, and pack triggering works perfectly. I don't really expect the consumer-friendly Sony RX100 to offer such flexibility, but it's worth peeking at the manual...

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:22 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone knows if I can fire strobes with the SONY RX100?

Thanks for the test Rico! Interesting results. The RX100 does not have the feature to disable the pre-flashes.

I did a quick search on the www and found this site http://www.nex-tips.com/2011/12/27/seagull-syk-5-wireless-remote-flash-slave-trigger-strobist-with-sony-nex/
Next, I went to Amazon and bought the relatively cheap Seagull SYK-5. The idea was to start from the lowest cost option and work myself up and see how it goes
http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Wireless-Remote-Trigger-Reduction/dp/B004HFV5PS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348880220&sr=8-1&keywords=seagull+syk+5

Took some quick test shots and it actually worked with the Einstein!! Only caveat is that the max shutter speed I could sync the Einsteins with the RX100 is 1/50s. When I bumped it to 1/60s, I could not sync. I guess its good enough to have some fun for now

Sep 29, 2012 at 01:06 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password