Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

seanj wrote:
I don't know the Contax 35/1.4, but I have a Contax G 90/2.8 that I like on my NEX 5N.

But I thought the Sigma pretty much destroyed the Contax 35/1.4 on sharpness to the point that I wouldn't even consider the Contax 35. Bokeh appeared to be very similar so I don't think the Contax made back any ground after losing so much in sharpness.

Hmmm.

sharpness isn't everything. here's a thread on the contax 35/1.4:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/839374/45

the sigma looks great, but i doubt it'll make me want to sell my contax.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:25 PM
twoeye
• •
p.4 #2 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

The Sigma leaves the Canon 35/f1.4L in the dust in all departments:

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-35mm-f14-vs-Canon-35mm-f14-L

Both corner sharpness at wide apertures, bokeh and colour fringing seems to be much better.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #3 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

The first site to post a review was Lenstip:
http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html
On resolution, the Sigma has absolutely demolished the feeble Sony 35/1.4 lens and resoundingly bettered the Canon, Nikon, Samyang and even Zeiss devices of the class. Go Sigma!

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #4 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

TBH, Judge from samples I have seen and review/comparison so far. I have to say it re-map all fast 35mm lens value. (I don't like its onion bokeh, but that is it. it won't show up often)

It is the lens make me want get it just for manual.

I doubt Canikon even can have their 35mm sell. Samyang will get hit, Contax, ZE/ZF.2 Leica R too....

They can easily ask $1299 for its offer. Compare Leica charge $5000 for its 1.4, this is what we called 'value' but even with SOTA performance.

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:14 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.4 #5 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

shhhhhhhhh

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

I think when the Sigma Artistes start rolling in, we will have to have a 35/1.4 shootout at Alt Corral!

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:22 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.4 #7 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

Hopefully they will have them in the USA when I visit in Jan

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

zhangyue wrote:
TBH, Judge from samples I have seen and review/comparison so far. I have to say it re-map all fast 35mm lens value. (I don't like its onion bokeh, but that is it. it won't show up often)

It is the lens make me want get it just for manual.

I doubt Canikon even can have their 35mm sell. Samyang will get hit, Contax, ZE/ZF.2 Leica R too....

They can easily ask $1299 for its offer. Compare Leica charge $5000 for its 1.4, this is what we called 'value' but even with SOTA performance.

agreed, though it's hard to compare the sigma slr lens to the leica rangefinder lens. i think this will definitely hurt canon, nikon, samyang sales and or prices. i don't think it'll hurt leica and zeiss any, i suspect there is very little market overlap between them and sigma.

also, what does SOTA mean?

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:49 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #9 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

State of The Art. Learned from Audio review magazine. I thought this is a piece of cake for native English speaking people
In terms of Leica and Zeiss sale. Sure, no impact on 35lux M. Leica people are out of this world
I don't know others. I certainly will consider that if I plan to pull $1500 for ZE/ZF or $2500 for 35lux R. Somebody has this Sigmalux can beat me with sub-$1000 make me feel un comfortable

Kidding aside, unless, you do video. This definitely will hit used market for Zeiss and Contax, 35L and 35G. 35lux R might be OK since they never sells.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:02 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

zhangyue wrote:
State of The Art. Learned from Audio review magazine. I thought this is a piece of cake for native English speaking people

thanks, i'm not so good with acronyms. never really got into texting, and it seems to have impaired my ability to decipher them.

zhangyue wrote:
In terms of Leica and Zeiss sale. Sure, no impact on 35lux M. Leica people are out of this world
I don't know others. I certainly will consider that if I plan to pull $1500 for ZE/ZF or $2500 for 35lux R. Somebody has this Sigmalux can beat me with sub-$1000 make me feel un comfortable

Kidding aside, unless, you do video. This definitely will hit used market for Zeiss and Contax, 35L and 35G. 35lux R might be OK since they never sells.

perhaps you're right, but i don't know many zeiss shooters with any interest in a sigma no matter how good it is. plus, the zeiss is so astronomically priced i feel as though one has to really want it's unique "look" independant of performance on things as mundane and measurable as sharpness.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.4 #11 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

Actually, this Sigma could prove really expensive for me: it's one of the only reasons I'm contemplating a full frame DSLR.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

alwang wrote:
Actually, this Sigma could prove really expensive for me: it's one of the only reasons I'm contemplating a full frame DSLR.

there are a number of cheap used FF dslrs available now. you could probably get one + the sigma for less than the zeiss or nikon 35/1.4 alone.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:34 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #13 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

sebboh wrote:
but i don't know many zeiss shooters with any interest in a sigma no matter how good it is.

Yes, true, but the problem Sigma is never THIS good. I agree with you before this lens as I was one of Zeiss shooters, I never thought about sigma, even with rave of 50sigmalux. but this 35 is something special. (and make me at least want spend my money to try) I know it is a difficult designed focal length at 1.4 given there are not many good performer so far for last 50 years. Even 35lux fle, the FC is just bit crazy for landscape use.

This is a real achievement given asking price $899.

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

sebboh wrote:
perhaps you're right, but i don't know many zeiss shooters with any interest in a sigma no matter how good it is. plus, the zeiss is so astronomically priced i feel as though one has to really want it's unique "look" independant of performance on things as mundane and measurable as sharpness.

I picked up my Zeiss for not much more than the new price of the Sigma, so with a bit of patience, the difference doesn't have to be that big.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

carstenw wrote:
I picked up my Zeiss for not much more than the new price of the Sigma, so with a bit of patience, the difference doesn't have to be that big.

you got a zeiss for half price?!? or prices that different in germany?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

Errr... I am not sure. New price of the Zeiss is about 1600 Euro here. I got mine for 1100 or just a bit less. The Sigma is $899 in the States, so with the appropriate conversion that probably comes out to 999 Euro here (sigh).

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

carstenw wrote:
Errr... I am not sure. New price of the Zeiss is about 1600 Euro here. I got mine for 1100 or just a bit less. The Sigma is $899 in the States, so with the appropriate conversion that probably comes out to 949 Euro here (sigh).

ah, you paid $500 more than the sigma will cost here that sounds more reasonable. you guys really get the shaft when it comes to pricing.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #18 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

carstenw wrote:
Errr... I am not sure. New price of the Zeiss is about 1600 Euro here. I got mine for 1100 or just a bit less. The Sigma is $899 in the States, so with the appropriate conversion that probably comes out to 999 Euro here (sigh).

zhangyue wrote:
They can easily ask $1299 for its offer.

OH! looks like it does cost $1299.
Yes, they can get that for its performance.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

sebboh wrote:
ah, you paid $500 more than the sigma will cost here that sounds more reasonable. you guys really get the shaft when it comes to pricing.

Yes, but I was presuming (wrongly?) that the same new/used ratio we see here would be possible in the States? That should put the Zeiss within striking range of the Sigma, no?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.4 #20 · What do you expect from Sigma 35 F/1.4 artist?

carstenw wrote:
Yes, but I was presuming (wrongly?) that the same new/used ratio we see here would be possible in the States? That should put the Zeiss within striking range of the Sigma, no?

I sold my ZF.2 1.4 at $1350 include paypal and shipping. which is one of the lowest here. but still a lot more than Sigmalux.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password