Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

CanonShooter88
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

A friend of mine just picked up a 5D Mark III and let me play around with it yesterday. I was CRAZY IMPRESSED by it

Which got me thinking...

1) To my hands, the build quality of the 5D Mark III is as good as a 1-Series. It also has the same AF system now as the 1-Series (i.e. the 1DX)....before it had the same 9-point AF system as the XXD-series.

2) The 1DX took the familiar 1D-series (which emphasized speed) and combined it with the 1Ds-series (which emphasized high resolution + full frame).

3) There still has been no 1Ds Mark IV.

So, this is what I could see happening:

(A) The 5D-series becomes the new 1Ds-series. At the moment, the 5D Mark III already has a better AF system, a larger and more capable ISO range, a better frame rate, an improved LCD screen, higher resolution, etc. than the 1Ds Mark III. At the initial $3,000+ price tag, it is definitely still targeted at the advanced / pro photographer.

(B) The 6D is the prosumer version of the 5D Mark III, a gap that I feel is nicely filled.

So if (A) above is true, then high res. oriented professionals now pay +/- $3,000 for their cameras, but speed-oriented professionals can only choose from the 7D (equivalent of the 6D in "high-speed world") or the 1D Mark IV (a series that will stop with the new 1DX now released).

This is why I could see a new line eventually coming that would carry the high-speed cameras forward (2 / 3D-series?..the # must of course be lower than 7 and not repeat 5 or 6).

The idea that the next pro speed camera would be the Mark V when the 1Ds-series is still on Mark III peeks my curiosity, so all of the above *could* make sense...at least to me

If this happens, then I suppose the 1-Series would no longer stand for Canon's *professional* camera line, but rather just the *top of the line*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to call me insightful or delusional Just wanted to share my thoughts and then ask: "What are your thoughts regarding Canon's lineup change? What would it look like categorically in the next few years?"

Please share!!

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

I think you're both insightful and delusional.

I'm not too worried about predicting where the product line will go. I buy in when I need a new capability (which the 1DX provides for me), or when something needs to be replaced, usually because I broke it.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

I'd love to see a real replacement to the 1D4 but I doubt Canon will make another 1.3x crop body and they don't yet have the camera processing to deal with 27MP at 10FPS.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

No 5 series is not the new 1 series. Still a big difference between them excluding IQ and AF. We can comfortably accommodate a new 3 or 2 series camera that will bridge the gap even better, while offering better IQ.

Something like say

3D

30MP
dual digic 5+
8fps
ISO 50-51200
CF and SD (but support for SD UHSI so it's actually useful)
Same sealing as 1D II
3.2" 1.62MP OLED screen
GPS and Wifi 802.1n
USB 3
With optional grip taking new more powerful battery camera offers higher drive current with supertele (similar to 1D X)

All the rest the same as 5D III

$4K

This smashes 1Ds III into the weeds and is semi- affordable. I'll sell my 5D III and 1D IV in a heartbeat if this came true.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:05 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Pixel Perfect wrote:

This smashes 1Ds III into the weeds and is semi- affordable. I'll sell my 5D III and 1D IV in a heartbeat if this came true.

I submit to you a hypothetical conversation from Canon HQ:

Engineering: "We propose the following design that is so awesome, people will be able to just buy one camera instead of spending more money to buy two!"

Business Team: "You're fired!"

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Pixel Perfect wrote
I'll sell my 5D III and 1D IV in a heartbeat if this came true.

Wouldn't we all

But don't forget to throw in the new banding free, 16 stop DR sensor too

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:27 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

hahaha dwweiche that was great

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

dwweiche wrote:
I submit to you a hypothetical conversation from Canon HQ:

Engineering: "We propose the following design that is so awesome, people will be able to just buy one camera instead of spending more money to buy two!"

Business Team: "You're fired!"

Working for Canon, I can assure you the reality will be far more tortured than this. It's never black or white with Canon.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

greetobegine

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

<canon developer> We've come up with a great competitor to the Nikon D600! Better numbers and cheaper!
<canon manager> Hells no! We never give them what they actually want. Engage the crippled and overpriced 6D! Fire the Lazer!....Boom! MuhHAhahahaha!....

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Pixel Perfect wrote:
3D
30MP
dual digic 5+
8fps
ISO 50-51200
CF and SD (but support for SD UHSI so it's actually useful)
Same sealing as 1D II
3.2" 1.62MP OLED screen
GPS and Wifi 802.1n
USB 3
With optional grip taking new more powerful battery camera offers higher drive current with supertele (similar to 1D X)
$4K

I would love to see Canon release something like that but unless they significantly drop the price of the 5D3 there is no way they are going to have a mere $500 gap in price between the two. Plan on $5000 minimum, which I would pay if it also resolved the hideous AF illumination issue in AI-Servo.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:51 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

I got on the Canon Bandwagon with the 5Dc. I stopped at the MK III and 1DsMKIII (really a $7400 bridge too far for me) when Nikon introduced the D3. I wanted 1Dx features but couldn't wait 4 years (for world class low light, super AF Hi ISO and FF). I have been shooting my $800 cheaper D4 for 6 months now and the 1Dx is now available.

Understand this: Canon doesn't want to make the best or "perfect" camera. They want to keep you in the Canon game by feature rationijg while you yearn for the next compromised (who couldn't predict the effect of red box/black box AF thing) product.

Can you do a good job with Canon-sure! If you own a lot of their wonderful pricey lenses should you switch-maybe (I did). But Canon remains a cynical marketeer with that carrot just in front of their shooter's noses. Don't forget that the 5D MK III has pro focusing for only one reason-the Nikon D700 (and successors).

Canon have cut the legs off their BIF and long range low light shooters with no pro crop bodies and no F8 focusing. The price to shoot a 1Dx, 2x (often 1.4x) TC just went stratospheric when you have to buy a superspeed great White for Pixel density "reach." Just price out a 1Dx 400 F2.8 or 600m F4 (but not with a 2x TC) combo.

So after Nikon introduces (and is about to ship) their 24Mp D600 (which rivals the MKIII if only because of the $2100/3500 price comparison) Canon announces (who knows when they will ship) a "New" camera very much like the 5D MK II (but less Mp) complete with crippled focus for $2100! Now does anyone expect that the 6D won't have some old and new problems? Where's the love Canon?? Just how stupid do your think your customers are?

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

"Prosumer" is one of the ugliest words in the language. And ultimately it means a person who is professionally dedicated to consuming.

Not something to aspire to.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Bruce n Philly
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Interesting, but:

- I have complete confidence that their marketing wizards will always have you wanting and spending for "more" however they or you define it.
- They will always put some "must have" into a lower camera to drive you to buy at least two bodies
- Bigger numbers are always "better" than smaller numbers
- Mine is smaller than his and I will now spend more
- Over time, things do improve but in small increments
- I can go on

Bruce
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Given the 1D-X, 5D3, and 6D lines, there is room and a gap for a camera that goes for highest quality still images without many AF or video features and thus without a huge price. Think: portraiture, advertising, landscapes, architecture, and products.

It's what I would like.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:06 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Until the data paths are improved I would not expect any high frame rate large MP cameras. Canon data paths are wider than Nikons, but there is still some work to do.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:35 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon EOS Lineup Restructuring

Looks like the Canon 1Ds Mark III is gone for good on B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518204-REG/Canon_2011B002_EOS_1Ds_Mark_III_SLR.html

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password