New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              59       60       end

Archive 2012 · Canon autumn photography

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon autumn photography

Teddy Draper Sr, one of the few remaining Navajo Codetalkers I was fortunate to meet in Arizona. Mr. Draper was awe-inspiring, having served on Iwo Jima and elsewhere. The original image was shot with a 7D & Canon 18-135mm lens but no, the sensor isn't dirty; I've added a 'plastic bullet' filter to the original file and was happy with the result.

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon autumn photography

sritri wrote:
Love the mosquito Peter

Thanx, Shreeni.......that is exactly 100% crop.

And here is the catch....all of the images I have posted in this thread so far were shot with the 1DX image quality dialed to "small JPG" which is equivalent to shooting with an FF 4.5 Mp camera. How's that for "reach".

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon autumn photography

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Photography/Art-in-the-Park-Festival-at/i-P3HhPdm/0/XL/Art-in-the-Park-Festival-at-XL.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:50 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon autumn photography

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/IMG_4850.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:19 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon autumn photography

That is a respectable lookin' Green pijun, Shreeni, and you got it with 300 f/4.
Did you end up having to kneel in that muck when you took the photo ?

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon autumn photography

PetKal wrote:
That is a respectable lookin' Green pijun, Shreeni, and you got it with 300 f/4.
Did you end up having to kneel in that muck when you took the photo ?

You guessed correctly Peter The drought here in Illinois is frightening. Just few months ago when there was still water in around the ponds these Greenies' and other waders used to fly away at human sight. But now they are more worried about food and kind of oblivious to humans. I have seen children pelt stones at GWE's and Mallards families as parents look on

PetKal wrote:
And here is the catch....all of the images I have posted in this thread so far were shot with the 1DX image quality dialed to "small JPG" which is equivalent to shooting with an FF 4.5 Mp camera. How's that for "reach".

I am itching to get the X as I have been saving from the day I sold my 1Ds-II. But the 5M3 is really pulling me back. Now I can't get the 5M3 either as the price seems to vary by the hour. So back the funds go to hibernate

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:17 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon autumn photography

My humble offering:

5DII and 24-105L.

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon autumn photography

sritri wrote:
You guessed correctly Peter The drought here in Illinois is frightening. Just few months ago when there was still water in around the ponds these Greenies' and other waders used to fly away at human sight. But now they are more worried about food and kind of oblivious to humans. I have seen children pelt stones at GWE's and Mallards families as parents look on

Our ponds are overflowing because of ample rainfall late this summer, and that is impeding wading birds as well, especially the smaller ones such as Black cap and Green one, because the water is too deep.

We also have our ample contingent of unleashed dogs chasing wildlife away in nature conservation areas, adults and children alike throwing pebbles at waders, cell phone photographers trying to come close to birds within a few feet. Some "birders" flush birds too when they attempt an unreasonably close approach with their 600mm lenses so they can impress their forum buddies with some proximity or in flight shots.

Here and there I am still able to find quiet and productive spots for easy photography, but that's getting harder and harder.

Monopod mounted 1DsMkII + 800L.

Edited on Sep 18, 2012 at 03:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:37 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon autumn photography

GReat, another thread for me to realize how crappy I really am!

In seriousness, I love the thread idea and it is a welcome relief!

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon autumn photography

RobertLynn wrote:
GReat, another thread for me to realize how crappy I really am!

In seriousness, I love the thread idea and it is a welcome relief!

Now, now, Rob....we know how good you are in your field of photography.

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon autumn photography

Edited on Sep 24, 2012 at 06:57 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon autumn photography

Now that's a BIF...

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon autumn photography

Jefferson wrote:
Now that's a BIF...

HIF

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon autumn photography

Here in SoCaL It certainly doesn't feel that Summer is actually coming to an end yet. So these images still possess that Summery look.

These were all taken with the 1DX and the 400mm f/5.6, and significantly cropped. The 7D would have presented more pixels per Dragon Fly but I am guessing that the focus acquisition would have been worse. I'm still eagerly awaiting availability of the Super Teles to remedy this situation.

Db

Dragon Flies in the 'refueling' position..

Against a busy background ....

Another pair in the same embrace ..

A young looking Green Heron in its habitat.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon autumn photography

Db, tandem dragon in flight shots, no less.
You are right about the camera choice: nothing will demolish your "reach" like a poorly focused shot. In fact, a misfocused shot exibits no "reach" whatsoever because it gets trashed.

As long as you get real good light, and with 1DX, no lens can do significantly better than 400 f/5.6 for those kinds of daunting AF targets. Well, perhaps 300 f/2.8 IS would do slightly better, but you'd get fatigued pretty quickly when trying to shoot dragons with it or swallows and such.

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:35 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon autumn photography

PetKal wrote:
Here's the thread about fall themes photographed with Canon equipment.
Hopefully, this will again offer a little oasis/shelter from the din of forumography.

The important thing is to specify the equipment you have used in the production of your posted images. Since this is a gear forum, please do not be shy to discuss gears and associated techniques at length.

In Southern Ontario, leaves are just starting to turn yellow on weaker trees/shrubs, and there are some signs of bird migration as well. The days are noticeably shorter now, and no more oppressive humidity/haze in the air.

Handheld 1DX +
...Show more

Oh man, stop posting images like that. Im holding on to my CC tight...dont wanna spend 5 figures on one of those long lenses!

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:58 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon autumn photography

From Sundays Wings over Gatineau air show. 1D mark 4 & 100-400 L

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CtS05xolEOA/UFaEjytVOGI/AAAAAAAAQRc/VqQuBm8sUgM/s1024/INGR9720.JPG

Had it really been fall I'd bet the background in this one would have been very colourful.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sjcgei0QV1s/UF-lyke8XNI/AAAAAAAAQ7c/aV-K4d8rZOI/s1024/INGR9810.JPG

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:26 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon autumn photography

Kenneth, in the hands of a fine photographer like yourself, a 400 f/2.8 IS MkI, which are priced very favourably these days, would "sing".
Then, combine it with 1.4xTC MkIII and 2xTC MkIII, and you are ready for just about any photography type.

There is only one caveat: the lens is heavy.

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon autumn photography

Cicopo wrote:
From Sundays Wings over Gatineau air show. 1D mark 4 & 100-40 L

Holy macro, Larry.......those things are going like bats outta hell.

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:36 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon autumn photography

Thanks Peter. In actual fact the second shot was a low & slow he did for us. That was my favorite from it thanks to the heat distortion. On Sat they had it & the Sabre performing, and the Sabre made a nice pass by itself while the CF 18 snuck up on us from behind. I never would have thought that possible but it is. When it passed over us the roar was almost deafening but until then you couldn't hear it.

Sep 18, 2012 at 08:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.