Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Google acquires Nik Software

f_ho

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Google acquires Nik Software

Not sure what my gut reaction is here. I hope they don't cripple the Nik Software package or stop investing in the development of that software. It's been a critical component to my work flow. Thoughts?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software-the-company-behind-the-popular-snapseed-photo-editing-app-for-ios/

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:59 PM
BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Google acquires Nik Software

My one thought: alarming. I can't image why Google would buy Nik and still maintain Nik's focus on the serious photographer.

Maybe Google is going to "Instagram" them? That is, take the technology and apply it to the smart phone platform? Part of Google's effort to compete with FB.

John

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:07 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #3 · Google acquires Nik Software

Be a real shame if they cripple it

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:14 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #4 · Google acquires Nik Software

After seeing what Google did to Picasa, I am not optimistic.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:39 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Google acquires Nik Software

Make me go humm, stroke beard and look perplexed.

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Google acquires Nik Software

oh no! hope they don't tear apart a good software company for their "advertising" purposes

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:52 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #7 · Google acquires Nik Software

Well, despite being totally out of the loop with regard to the mobile device sphere, my Instagram comment may have hit the nail on the head:

Google getting its own Instagram

John

Sep 17, 2012 at 06:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

maf27
• •
p.1 #8 · Google acquires Nik Software

It'll be a shame if Nik gets Instagramed. One of the Google execs - Vic Gundotra - committed to investing in the pro market plugins.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109674480414473952661/posts/9xAwogyeohZ

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:06 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #9 · Google acquires Nik Software

Not sure what my gut reaction is here. I hope they don't cripple the Nik Software package or stop investing in the development of that software. It's been a critical component to my work flow.

Ditto....I hope this gives Nik more resources to continue their great work, however, Google is obviously interested in Snapseed and could neglect the remainder. That would be a tragedy. I could care less about Snapseed.

Sep 18, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Google acquires Nik Software

wlpelzmann wrote:
Ditto....I hope this gives Nik more resources to continue their great work, however, Google is obviously interested in Snapseed and could neglect the remainder.

They could spin-off the "remainder". It could be attractive to one of nik's current competitors.

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:59 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Google acquires Nik Software

Horrible news. What a waste. Nik Software is a great company making stellar products. Good thing I purchased the complete collection last year.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #12 · Google acquires Nik Software

I heard today from someone with close ties to Nik and Google that the "official" plans are to continue with the full Nik product suite. Good news, at least for now. But I'm still concerned for the long term.

Yes, spinning off the plug-in suite would make a lot of sense, if Google doesn't want to be bothered with that segment.

Sep 19, 2012 at 05:55 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #13 · Google acquires Nik Software

wlpelzmann, that's good news. However, I can't help but feel suspicious about Google's plans to enter the photo software business. Just imagine... "Google is committed to providing photographers with the best image editing plugins in the market".

That just sounds too strange and very unlikely. I can understand why they'd want Snapseed, but if I were in the Google board, I'd give a blank stare with raised eyebrows at the manager presenting such ideas.

Jaakko

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Google acquires Nik Software

colinm wrote:
After seeing what Google did to Picasa, I am not optimistic.

Well, Google's "had" Picasa since 2004 and I was a beta tester in '09 when they finally made it available for Macs.
I make bank with it and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Enlighten me.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password