Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18              20       21       end

Archive 2012 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

digitalbug30d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

ok the 5Dmk3 is the replacement of the 5D mk2,the 6D is not,since the 5D mk2 is OBVIOUSLY going out of production,it stands to reason for something to fill in this spot,everyone was carping about to many APS-C bodies and now its FF bodies wow tough crowd. wonder if anyone actually takes pics or is this turning into DPR...I think Canon has it right this time they have 3 FF choices yes all are different for a reason,its called choice not ,crippled ect..wish that term would go away..

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:15 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

and the wi-fi and GPS issue,Canon has a long history of putting high end items in their low end cameras to beta test for future models,like the 7D with it translucent display now it the 5D mk3,ect

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:18 AM
artd
• • •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Huh. It is approaching four years now since I purchased my 5DII. And Canon--despite releasing three new FF cameras this year--has still not produced a camera I would want to purchase as an upgrade.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

circusofcrows wrote:
What makes this "entry level"? It sports a fair amount of, until recently, professional range features. High iso sensetivity, same sensor as 5d3, same digic 5+ processor, no dial SD/CF, not a full view finder, but those are recent additions to the FF/Pro level of DSLR. Can someone shed some light as to why its labeled "Entry Level"?

Yes, but the goal posts keep moving and Canon has not quite adjusted to their new position. Sure it looks good in light of what might have been offered even a few years ago, but not in light of what the competition offers. It's not bad camera by any means, but has skimped a bit too much IMO.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:29 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

artd wrote:
Huh. It is approaching four years now since I purchased my 5DII. And Canon--despite releasing three new FF cameras this year--has still not produced a camera I would want to purchase as an upgrade.

+1, same here....really sad....

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:30 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

artd wrote:

+1, though that doesn't necessarily make me unhappy... ;-)

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:34 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

tonywong88 wrote:
Right now it appears that Canon is being run by the bean counters and marketers. And I can tell you they are smug in their projections because their predictions are going to work out.

It's a very simple thing that they don't understand, or maybe they understand and don't care, because the 6D will be a strong seller*, regardless of the negative reaction from the forums. Why is the 6D going to be a great profit center? Because the Canon brand, supply chain, marketing arm, production capabilities are way beyond any other camera manufacturer (excepting Sony). They are a huge fish
...Show more

+1, well...i feel it after reading most posts in this thread...canon has treated us like 2nd class shooters

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:38 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

mttran wrote:

Michael, I am with you when it comes to a camera such as 1DsMkII......even 1DX can not improve much on its IQ (JPG)......as long as ISO is no more than 400.

However, once we throw in fast action as a subject of our photography, the performance relationship between 1DsMkII and 1DX (or 5DMkIII) changes very quickly because....

* Higher shutter speed requires ISO > 400........and then 1DX leaves 1DsMkII in the dust.
* Higher FPS/longer burst........1DsMkII is just not suitable for that.
* Servo AF......1DsMkII is just OK, but 1DX kills it.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Todd Klassy wrote:
Do the AF points illuminate in red or are they black and impossible to see like on the 5D Mark III?

I was waiting for this question and am very interested in "seeing" the answer, too.

Ralph

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:26 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

PetKal wrote:
Michael, I am with you when it comes to a camera such as 1DsMkII......even 1DX can not improve much on its IQ (JPG)......as long as ISO is no more than 200.

However, once we throw in fast action as a subject of our photography, the performance relationship between 1DsMkII and 1DX (or 5DMkIII) changes very quickly because....

* Higher shutter speed requires ISO > 200........and then 1DX leaves 1DsMkII in the dust.
* Higher FPS/longer burst........1DsMkII is just not suitable for that.
* Servo AF......1DsMkII is just OK, but 1DX kills it.

Peter, i am with you 100% what you said about 1DX and 5D3 best handler...but why Canon stops there...they can make 5D3's and 1DX's IQ and DR three times better than 1Ds2 and 5Dc since they are 3 generation apart. I shoot low iso, so no gain for me in current new bodies. Hi resolution clean sensor is only thing i am really waitting for look like i have more time with my 1Ds2 and 5d2

Edited on Sep 18, 2012 at 07:19 AM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

mttran wrote:

-3. Not same here. Surely we have different wishes/needs.
After 3.5 years shooting 5D II I developed my business and my needs/wishes enhanced, too.
At the moment I see 3 new bodies offered this year, which might fullfill them.
To two of them I would upgrade immediatelly if I could afford them without big investigation.
The third one I can afford and I would buy it for higher ISO, -3 EV and MA only, if in general the camera is working fine. The only cause that prevents me now is that I did not see any high ISO pics, did not check AF, did not hold it in my hands, it is not available and last not least: saving the money to be able to afford one of the others soon.

So from my point of view, Canon did it horrible good.

Ralph

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:36 AM
absolutic
• • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I personally don't care about 6D, but I know for a fact, after switching from Nikon D800 to Canon 5D Mark 3, that I have a camera with the best AF I've ever used; with the best lens line up on the market. Obviously, it is not all about the bodies. Do you really recommend based your recommendation on bodies, or on the whole system? Lenses are more important that bodies and Canon's 70-200 F/2.8 IS II is the best 70-200 on the market, according to all the reviews. The new Canon's 24-70 II, based on the first several reviews I am reading, is going to be a phenomenal lens, much better than competition. Canon's 35 1.4, 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 are amazing primes.

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:44 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

absolutic wrote:
I personally don't care about 6D, but I know for a fact, after switching from Nikon D800 to Canon 5D Mark 3, that I have a camera with the best AF I've ever used; with the best lens line up on the market. Obviously, it is not all about the bodies. Do you really recommend based your recommendation on bodies, or on the whole system? Lenses are more important that bodies and Canon's 70-200 F/2.8 IS II is the best 70-200 on the market, according to all the reviews. The new Canon's 24-70 II, based on the first several reviews
...Show more

The 5DM3 was a perfectly executed body in terms of features and specs, particularly for the segment of Canon users who wanted its improved AF system. It needed a little nudge downward in price to make it a good value IMO but otherwise it's a perfectly spec'd body and is well positioned against the D800. The question remains whether the 5DM3 will be a homerun for Canon in terms of overall unit sales, esp. relative to the 5DM2, which was a runaway success. The 60D however leaves me utterly perplexed.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Mike Mohrmann
• • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

snapsy wrote:
The 5DM3 was a perfectly executed body in terms of features and specs, particularly for the segment of Canon users who wanted its improved AF system. It needed a little nudge downward in price to make it a good value IMO but otherwise it's a perfectly spec'd body and is well positioned against the D800. The question remains whether the 5DM3 will be a homerun for Canon in terms of overall unit sales, esp. relative to the 5DM2, which was a runaway success. The 60D however leaves me utterly perplexed.

Agree on both points about the 6D and the 5DIII. Been looking to upgrade from the D700, and the D800 and D600 just don't fit the bill. Neither did the 5DII, nor does the 6D look like the replacement. But the 5DIII is intriguing. I have very little complaints about the D700, at least how it was used for almost 4 years. But I really could use the extra MPs now for landscapes, while retaining much of what the D700 has (5-8 fps, solid ISO 3200, usable ISO 6400).

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:38 AM
Liquidstone
• • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I love the 6D specs.

Makes my old 5D2 feel current and newish.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:39 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

Any idea what the upgrade time might be for the 6D? Is it likely to be every 18 months like a Rebel, or 3 years like a 5 series? Knowing this would be interesting in terms of purchase planning, a 6D might become very affordable when the 6D2 comes out. In other words a 6D might be attractive to me at a rock bottom price, its certainly not at anywhere list price.

But it might be an OK backup if the price were right.

UCSB
• • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

I'm not going to be picking up a 6D, but I am a little surprised by the negative opinions. I upgraded from the 5DII to the 5DIII. If the 6D's center AF point is as accurate and consistent as the AF on the 5DIII, it will be a significant step forward over the 5DII. Nothing near what the 5DIII offers in terms of AF, but a solid solution and a move forward compared to the 5DII. I think people should wait and see how it performs before forming final opinions. It could be a nice entry level FF as prices come down.

el_hoppy
• • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

snapsy wrote:
That's a good point, esp considering the 6D wont be available for sale until December, which seems like a very long lead time for a consumer-class body.

Or perhaps Canon need that time to get all of the remaining 5D2 stock off the shelves.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:43 AM
pompo
• • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

no it looks like the joystick is inside the quick control dial!

stargazer78 wrote:
Disappointments:

1. The joystick is gone.

Pleasant surprises:

1. 6D inherits silent shutter mode from the 5D3.

2. Android/iOS app that lets cellphone control 6D via Live View

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:53 AM
el_hoppy
• • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · 20MP Canon 6D full frame DSLR announced!

moan, moan, moan..... that's all that ever happens at release time.

Guess what people, the 6D is not supposed to be a step up from the 5D2, that's the 5D3's job.

The 6D is just an entry level FF for 60D & Rebel shooters. In a way its replacing the 5D2's position in the product range, but not replacing the 5D2..

I have no intention of buying it as I already have the 1Dx, 1Ds3 & 5D2. If I did not already have my 5D2 as a "compact" travel camera, the built in GPS & Wifi would probably be a deal breaker and I'd consider getting the 6D. I really hate it when I feel I have to use my iPhone out to take a photo so I can quickly post it online.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password