Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Using Canon flashes with Olympus E-M5 wirelessly

marclchi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Canon flashes with Olympus E-M5 wirelessly

I have switched over to Olympus m43 from Canon. I have purchased an Olympus FL50R and an FL300. These work great as a wireless setup with the mini flash that came with the EM5.

I am trying to sell the remaining 2 Canon 420EX flashes I have. However, I am wondering if it doesn't make sense to keep them since they don't seem to be worth that much. Is there a way for me to include them in my wireless setup as manual slaves?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Canon flashes with Olympus E-M5 wirelessly

It couldn't hurt to try, but I doubt it will work.

Generally, the optically-transmitted command codes that allow wireless flash to work vary from brand to brand, and so Olympus commands might not be recognized by Canon flashes.

If you were to attach simple optical triggers to the Canon flashes, they would be tripped by the command preflashes of the Olympus master, and would fire prematurely.

If the Olympus camera allows for simultaneous use of a PC connector (if it has one) and the master flash, you could use a radio link like a Pocket Wizard to trigger the Canon flashes, but by the time you buy a transmitter and a couple of receivers you most likely would have spent more than the cost of another couple of Olympus flashes.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password