Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

oldrattler wrote:
I love my Canon 1DsII, other than no live-view... The 5DIII is a possible, down the road, but I am waiting to see what Canon brings out to rival the D800/800E... My wife has encouraged me to go with the Nikon but affirms she is not switching and I am not selling my gear... Basically I would be a two system shooter...

It takes one to know one . I had one foot in one camp and the other in a different camp. It was OK in the beginning but after a while it became burdensome, at least for me. I was way too gear oriented rather than focusing on the art of photography and enjoying photography. In addition, maintaining two systems wasn't easy. I deliberately didn't want to take both systems to go out and shoot. Two different battery systems, two sets of lenses, etc. was too bulky/heavy. Each system has its own quirks and it made it difficult to know every single setting needed to do your photography efficiently. So, each time before going on a shooting trip, I had to decide, based on merit, which system I would take. After a while, it got old. I decided to sell off one system and just get to know that system in and out and I am photographically happier since. If you have read this before, I apologize for being redundant. At any rate, good luck!

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:17 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Answer maybe simpler than most are ready to accept. It's the one you have to capture the landscape in front of you.

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:44 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

AGeoJO wrote:
It takes one to know one . I had one foot in one camp and the other in a different camp. It was OK in the beginning but after a while it became burdensome, at least for me. I was way too gear oriented rather than focusing on the art of photography and enjoying photography. In addition, maintaining two systems wasn't easy. I deliberately didn't want to take both systems to go out and shoot. Two different battery systems, two sets of lenses, etc. was too bulky/heavy. Each system has its own quirks and it made it difficult to know
...Show more

Thanks Joshua...

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:14 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

schlotz wrote:
Answer maybe simpler than most are ready to accept. It's the one you have to capture the landscape in front of you.

I accept that things would be a lot less troublesome if I was not always looking for "the Greener Pasture"... Once I would like to just say it is good, not perfect, but good enough... I am OCD / class A personality... Driven by the need to excel... And I do agree with you... Thanks, Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

http://www.roundshot.ch/pictures/Seitz-6x17-Digital-main-English.jpg

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:57 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

OCD works well in photography via concentrating on the creation vs technical/equipment phase.

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:02 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Mike V wrote:
http://www.roundshot.ch/pictures/Seitz-6x17-Digital-main-English.jpg

Mike, You are the man... Checked this baby out and if I was rich... Thank you for sharing... Jim

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

schlotz wrote:
OCD works well in photography via concentrating on the creation vs technical/equipment phase.

Yea, but add adult attention disorder and you have one messed up photographer...

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Clearly no correct answer, but the sensor of the d800 is pretty nice. However, for landscapes I'd have to go with the Canon 17 and 24 tse as driving my final opinion.

These answers exclude having a sherpa as an option. If I did then An IQ180 on a tech body with assortment of stuff.

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:08 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

SteveF wrote:
Clearly no correct answer, but the sensor of the d800 is pretty nice. However, for landscapes I'd have to go with the Canon 17 and 24 tse as driving my final opinion.

These answers exclude having a sherpa as an option. If I did then An IQ180 on a tech body with assortment of stuff.

Thanks Steven... I have a great respect for the 17mm & 24mm TS-e but no money to buy, Darn

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Of the formats and cameras I'm familiar with, I find 6x17 (film) the most impressive.
In terms of film area, the camera qualifies as a LF.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Greg Campbell wrote:
Of the formats and cameras I'm familiar with, I find 6x17 (film) the most impressive.
In terms of film area, the camera qualifies as a LF.

Thank you... I am familiar with the 6 X 17 and it is impressive...

Sep 20, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

The best I have used is my Pentax 67. What I like is after scanning them at 4000 dpi, I can zoom in and in and in and in and see other little worlds within the bigger picture. My 5dII just can't quite do it. I have been wanting the Pentax 645D, however, after looking at this test, I can say that the D800 is approaching MF and I want one.

http://gdtechnics.com/index.php/the-new-camera/26-nikon-d800-vs-pentax-645d-vs-leaf-aptus-ii-8

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Just curious, how much is that 6 x 17?

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Norman my love wrote:
Just curious, how much is that 6 x 17?

About $32,000.00... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUNDSHOT-6x17-DIGITAL-Panoramic-Camera-NEW-/270691140462 Ya, right, as if that was happening... That is more than I paid for my Lamborghini...

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

that lambo probably needed work too.

Sep 21, 2012 at 05:32 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

Another vote for 4x5. I absolutely love my Chamonix 045n. The movements are great to have, and just as important I can use lenses from any era on it.

Kent in SD

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Absolutely, The Best Landscape Camera...

oldrattler wrote:
About $32,000.00... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUNDSHOT-6x17-DIGITAL-Panoramic-Camera-NEW-/270691140462 Ya, right, as if that was happening... That is more than I paid for my Lamborghini...

Feh! That's for the Digi-dweeb version!

You can get a decent 6x17 film kit for about 4~10% of that price, depending...

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.