Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

fsolis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I'm about to upgrade from two 1D MarkIII's.

I'm a photojournalist, shooting a good dose of sports. I'm planning on getting a 1DX for one body, and looking at either a 1D MarkIV or 5D MarkIII for my second body. I've not shot the MarkIV or the 5D MarkIII; I've only read reviews and comments about both of them.

Based on reading and reviews, the pros for the 5D Mark III, and for my needs, seem to be: Better focus than 1D Mark IV, and its high ISO performance.
The cons are: Frame rate, the build is not as good as 1D Mark IV, and the sync speed is 1/200.

For the 1D Mark IV, the pros seem to be: Frame rate, build, and 1/300 sync speed.
The cons are: ISO not as good as 5D Mark III.

On the 5D MarkIII's ISO score, I just reread Fred Miranda's review of the 1DX, with particular note of the high ISO performance and comparison between the 1DX and the 5D MarkIII. There also was reference to the 1DX and 1D MarkIV noise performance. http://www.fredmiranda.com/1dx-review/page2.html

So, I'd like expert opinions, please, ideally from those who have similar needs as I, and who have hands-on experience with the 1D MarkIV and the 5D Mark III. Which body would best suit my needs, or suited yours, and why, please? Thanks.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:22 AM
artsupreme
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I have been shooting with all three the last few weeks and if I had to pick two and didn't need the reach of the 1.3x I would pick the 5DIII for a second lightweight body. Be prepared to miss a few shots in certain situations with the lame AF points that don't light up red. I was shooting equestrian today in bright light and couldn't even see the focus points up against a dark horse....pretty sad for a so called $3500 5DIII and really sad for a $7K 1DX.

Sep 16, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #3 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

If your a photojournalist your resolution is probably not ultra critical even in magazine print.

Landing the shot is important so if you go with a 1dmk4 you'll have an awkward 1.3 crop factor but a tad more reach.

If your lenses are long enough for a full frame you'll appreciate full frame richness with a 5dmk3 or 1Dx.

The 5dmk3 has a slower flash sync speed but if your using flash dummy triggers thats a downfall. If your using ETTL thats not a crippling issue. If your really concerned upgrading to a 600EX-RT flash will be consideration for longer range remote Power level controls.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #4 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Do you want the grip built-in or not?

I would have a hard time buying a non 1D body now and adding the grip. I just like the grip as an integral part of the body. The 5D plus a grip just isn't the same.

Sep 16, 2012 at 04:46 PM
fsolis

p.1 #5 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Thanks, All.

Getting the shot is critical. I need a camera that can keep up so that I don't miss the shot.

I'd have to say that along with that is good high ISO performance. By that I mean, images shot in the ISO 8000-range stand up.

I have the glass for the long end of FF bodies, so I'm good there. As for the built-in grip, I've only shot the 1D series, and really like the robustness of the bodies.

If I use strobes off-camera, which I sometimes do, I like faster sync speeds, and I know I know I can get a there with accessories.

So, I guess it boils down to being able to get the shot, and having good ISO performance (in the 8,000-range).

In your experience and/or hindsight, which body would go with -- 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV?

I'd welcome any other thoughts, experiences or observations, too. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:28 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

eric_m wrote:
Do you want the grip built-in or not?

I would have a hard time buying a non 1D body now and adding the grip. I just like the grip as an integral part of the body. The 5D plus a grip just isn't the same.

True, nothing is like the full sized pro body. However the 5D3 grip is the best add-on grip I have seen so far, feels much more solid and better in the hand.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:28 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I'd stick with the two 1Dx bodies. You'll get great performance with both, very good high ISO performance and solid construction. There is also one big reason for me...and it's the reason I still have a 1d3/1ds3 combo: common components. While all of these cameras get great battery life I'd much rather carry only one set of extra stuff like batteries. If you travel a lot, it also cuts down on things like carrying extra chargers.

While the 5diii is a great bit of hardware, there are still reasons canon produces the "pro" series 1d line.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:35 PM
ruhikant
• • •
p.1 #8 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Since you are planning to buy 1Dx, you should focus more on the different attributes of the two cams. The auto focus behavior, menu system will be more similar between 5D3 and 1DX, whereas FPS and built-in grip will be very similar between 1D4 and 1Dx.
Ideally you should get two 1DXs. Since I have small hands, I prefer 5D3 without the Grip for my long lens, handheld bird photography.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:40 PM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #9 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

http://www.dougbrownphotography.com/2012/04/03/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-1d-mark-iv-high-iso/

The 1DIV is best at 3200 or under. 6400 is usable if the need arises. I don't use it at higher speeds, so I can't comment on how it does at 8000. I've never had that need.

What I have heard anecdotally matches what the reviewer in the linked article says. The 5DIII is about 2/3 to 1 stop better at high ISO noise than the 1DIV.

My progression of main cameras was from 1V to 5D to 1D4. I really missed the 1-series body when I was shooting with a 5D (original). If it were my choice, I'd go with a 1D4 for a backup for that reason alone.

Sep 16, 2012 at 05:45 PM
swingthis1
• • •
p.1 #10 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I own both the 5d3 and the 1d4.

For action - the speed of the 1d4 is impressive, even against the 5d3.

I did shoot with my 5d3 this weekend in sports and did find myself missing the speed (FPS) but everything else worked perfectly. The difference in field of view (ie crop vs full frame) is minor and in the end the only difference is the amount of canvas you have to work with. Crop vs full frame does not necessarily give you more reach - in this case when you normalize both cameras, the difference is very small. The 5d3 has an edge bc it has better pixels.

In your case since you will have a 1Dx, the only question is do you need a reliable sports backup with the same speed. If not, go with the 5d3 and I do not think you will be disappointed.

SCott

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

eric_m wrote:
http://www.dougbrownphotography.com/2012/04/03/canon-5d-mark-iii-vs-1d-mark-iv-high-iso/

The 1DIV is best at 3200 or under. 6400 is usable if the need arises. I don't use it at higher speeds, so I can't comment on how it does at 8000. I've never had that need.

What I have heard anecdotally matches what the reviewer in the linked article says. The 5DIII is about 2/3 to 1 stop better at high ISO noise than the 1DIV.

My progression of main cameras was from 1V to 5D to 1D4. I really missed the 1-series body when I was shooting with a 5D (original). If it were my choice, I'd go with a
...Show more

I don't agree with this assessment; the 1D III was great at ISO 3200/4000 and I've found the 1D IV even better at high ISO. I had some shots from a lake cruise of a heron in shade that were ISO 4000 and they are full of detail and noise is very well controlled. I wouldn't hesitate to use 6400 as that is something I'll even use on the 7D when needed, and 1D IV is noticeably cleaner.

I agree 5D III is cleaner than 1D IV by up to 1 stop by eye-balling results.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM
lynnesite

p.1 #12 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

It's funny how our opinions differ. I've rented a 1D4 a few times where I had to shoot from 6400-12800 ISO, and I think it does very well at it, enough to buy one very shortly. My 1D3 is a good copy, but I dislike its work above 2500. I was going to buy something else like a 7D as a new backup but will hold onto the 1D3 because of the interchangeability of its components and the similarity of controls.

first dozen 1D3, the rest 1D4

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:44 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I own both the 1DIV and the 5D3...I don't see it as 1 stop better.

The 1DIV is in most respects (so far) faster than the 5D3.

If you're getting an X, the nice compliment will be the 5D3, but get used to only having spot metering off of the center point...which is stupid. Why give me reliable off-center points, then give me stupid center point metering.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:51 AM
fsolis

p.1 #14 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Thank you for your insights.

I borrowed a MarkIV from CPS to put it through its paces at a high school football game. Of course the frame rate was fine, very much like my 1D MarkIII.

The ISO on the field ranged from 4000 to 6500, with an occasional 5000, 8000 and even 10000. Also experimented with it in RAW. In short, it performed fine.

The other thing I liked about it was that when shooting portraits, indoors and out, I could select a SS of 250 and 300.

It was nice while it lasted, but I had to mail it back last week.

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:41 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #15 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I'm not convinced the 5d III focus is better on moving objects ... I have both and am just starting to use the 5D III more, but I'm not 100% convinced that I get more in focus shots using AI Servo on fast moving subjects. Center point 1D IV might be better.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:17 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

If getting the shot/capturing the moment in fast action scenarios is critical, I'd go for a 1D4. I've owned a 1D2n and 7D and own a 5D3. I recently spent some time in Katmai photographing close in, active bears with the 5D3 and while the AF was very nice the frame rate wasn't up to the task of reliably getting the shot/capturing the decisive moment.

Cheers!
Joe

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:04 AM
eyal.ma

p.1 #17 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

I have both 5D3 and 1D4.

I believe the 1D4 will give you a better package. Its faster, AF gives better sport metering on the 19 points.
ISO wise in my experience, is very compatible to the 5D3 below the 12800. The 5D3 might give a bit better performance at 6400 and above, but below they are very similar.

Regarding moving objects, I have a bit more mixed feelings there.
I like the 5D3 extra AF points, and giving you the AF settings choices, and the 1-3 pre-defined settings helps a lot when you need to switch from sport to portrait to crowed.
But overall the 1D4 AF system tracking system is a bit better to follow your object. Sometimes the 5D3 does better if there are obstacles in the way.
So I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Regarding SS, I find the 1D4 do better. I can sync faster with a pixel king set while the 5D3 is kinda hit and miss.

Myself I'm using the 1D4 for sport and active shots, and the 5D3 for studio, landscape, events.

So I would suggest the 1D4. If you afford it, get the 1DX. It got all the great stuff of the 5D3, and all the great stuff of the 1D4, and some more.

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:33 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #18 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

artsupreme wrote:
I was shooting equestrian today in bright light and couldn't even see the focus points up against a dark horse....pretty sad for a so called $3500 5DIII and really sad for a $7K 1DX.

I hear you. As I shot some equestrian events this past month I thought about how many issues I might have if I was using a 1DX. There are just way too many dark horses plus riders with black jackets as well. Especially problematic if you are FL limited and need to precisely position the AF point for tracking. Given that almost every review mentions it, hard to believe that Canon has no addressed it. I was hoping otherwise but it may not be fixable given the current design.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Gonemad

p.1 #19 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Disclaimer: I do not own 5D3, but recently upgraded to 1D4 from 1D3... and am so glad I did. Now, I loved 1D3 for its low-light capability and noise handling due to its bigger pixel size compared to 1D4, but boy 1D4 is no slouch. I was shooting 10K indoors and totally acceptable with my 24-105L! Another consideration is the issue that 5D3/1Dx owners mostly complain about the AF point doesn't light up until it focused on the subject. Like I said, I don't own 5D3 so can't say how annoying it is to not have the AF point light up and miss all the good shots, but I never have trouble aiming at my target with 1D4. That's because 1D4 has a setting that allows you to light up the AF point when the camera is "awake". So, often times, a tool needs to help you according to your workflow (needs) else it becomes "unreliable" when you most need it for the job... until of course you get used to and live with its deficiencies.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:33 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #20 · 5D MarkIII or 1D MarkIV

Forget focus confirmation, the problem with the 5D3/1DX is that the AF point does not light up AT ALL under AI-Servo.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password