Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

ChrisCoy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

Sooooo... I just picked up another Flex TT5, and an AC3 zone controller, which means I now have a full set up including 2xSB700's, 2xFlex TT5's, and 1xMini TT1. Since I know the SB700's can do manual mode I wondered about using them with my manual film cameras.

I have a Satter hotshoe to PC sync block. If I stuck that on my Hasselblad 500cm and connected it via PC cable, stuck the TT1 on top of that, and the AC3 on top of that... Could I then use my SB700's in manual mode and control the power remotely? Hmmmm.....

Anyone know?

Sep 14, 2012 at 09:57 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

I don't know for sure (pretty sure though) but I don't think the system will work if it's not on a Nikon body. I think there's more to it than the TT1 just receiving a "fire" signal from the body. In the event that it does work, the SB700s would stay in TTL mode rather than Manual. The Control TL system uses TTL controls to vary the flash power even when you have the AC3 set to "M".

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:26 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

In theory.. the TT1 and AC3 are supposed to be able to control remote lighting by being hand held separate from the camera. This being the case, all you need to do is trigger those remotes using a TT1 on camera or use A.N.Other PW.

There were a lot of claims that this would work yet nobody that I've read about have confirmed it. The operational aspects of this were that the TT1 and AC3 which were hand held were the only units working in TTL mode. Any camera fitted units needed to be set to 'Basic trigger mode'. The issue was that that the 'Basic trigger mode' setting on camera didn't trigger the remotes but the TT1 and AC3 handheld would by pressing the test button.

Perhaps the remotes needed to be 'listening' on both TTL and Basic mode and this might have caused issues, but I think the only way you might get a result is by asking PW, or just trying it with your setup.

Your question was about the TT1 and AC3 fitted to your camera - so no hand held devices were being used. Since when using the test button the remotes triggered, why don't you JUST try it?

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:27 PM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

ukphotographer wrote:
why don't you JUST try it?

Because the last time I "just tried something", I shorted out the LED display in my camera. I realize that there isn't anything to short out on the Hasselblad, but between the PW's and the SB700's, *IF* something were to go wrong, I'd be out a good chunk of change. And after shorting out the LED display, I'm a little gun shy. It would be my luck that I'd trip the TT1 and it would send some foreign signal to the TT5 and the next thing I'd know would be the SB700 would start smoking or something... I'm lucky like that.

I sent an email to PW this morning, so I'll wait for a response from them. If they can't answer it for liability reasons, then I'll contemplate how bad I want to "try it".

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

The Hasselblad will only supply a pin and rail sync, nothing else, nothing more than a test button will provide. The ControlTL TT1 can be used with other Pin and Rail systems, can be used as well to trigger other 'pin and rail' radio transmitters so you won't be frying anything. Frankly, I'm astounded that you would sit there with the equipment in front of you and shake at the possibility of using it and question what will work.

Just fit the things together, try it and don't be a wuss.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:50 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

ukphotographer wrote:
The Hasselblad will only supply a pin and rail sync, nothing else, nothing more than a test button will provide. The ControlTL TT1 can be used with other Pin and Rail systems, can be used as well to trigger other 'pin and rail' radio transmitters so you won't be frying anything. Frankly, I'm astounded that you would sit there with the equipment in front of you and shake at the possibility of using it and question what will work.

Just fit the things together, try it and don't be a wuss.

Gotta say +1. I thought I missed something in the original post.

Sep 17, 2012 at 01:47 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

Direct from PW's customer support...

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your inquiry. You can indeed use power control with remote Speedlites in this mode! You may notice a sync limitation, due to the longer packets that contain the flashe's power control information, but then again, with a leaf shutter, you may not notice it.

You'd need to place the MiniTT1 into an adapter that allows for a center pin sync out, such as one of the ones listed on this page: http://flashzebra.com/hotshoes-shoes/flash-hotshoes.shtml

I'd recommend one that has a miniphone jack, as it's a bit more secure than PC sync.

You'd connect your MiniTT1 into that adapter, and then run a
...Show more

Sep 17, 2012 at 02:25 PM
eskerman

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mini TT1, Flex TT5.... and Hasselblad?

I am having the same issue with my Mamiya RB67..

Trying to fire PW Mini TT1 from RB67

Presume I can follow the same advise here on the Hasselblad...

just need to source a good quality hot shoe with PC adapter fired from my lens..

The TT1 has five pins ( used for TTL Canon ) and I will assume the hot shoe only has one centre pin that will fire in manual only..? or am I getting this wrong..

I have had bad experiences with poor quality hot shoes and the choice is very wide... HAMA or Keiser..? or a-another..?

Paul

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:01 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password