Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Venue rules

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Venue rules

Talk with the client and ask their view first. With approval, talk in-person with the venue. If everyone's on board, I don't see a problem. I definitely don't see writing a letter as helping.

FWIW, I don't wear jackets either; for the exact same reason. I wear all black for these types of events; with approval of course. Even if I were ever told to wear a jacket, it'd be off 2 minutes after walking in the door. It's not about respect or ego - it's about doing the job. If you're uncomfortable, the results will show as such. Besides, I'd hate to bill a client for a ripped jacket.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:41 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #2 · Venue rules

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Venue rules

Drexelbrook?

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:46 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Venue rules

How I dress for a wedding shoot...

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:50 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #5 · Venue rules

maxwell1295 wrote:
How I dress for a wedding shoot...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70mrsagvt1rrsuzco1_500.jpg

Awesome ! " here i am beeatch, let's shoot " !

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:53 PM
TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Venue rules

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Drexelbrook?

Yep.

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:54 PM
elader
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Venue rules

four words.

salmon and olive plaid.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:07 PM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #8 · Venue rules

I hate when people don't realize that being a photographer involves physical labor. They can expect you to wear a suit but to be neat looking in it all day constantly taking a knee with with cameras slung over your shoulder and running around to and fro. It's ridiculous.

I wear slacks, dress shoes, a button up shirt and tie. Often with my sleeves rolled up because they often get snagged on my straps. I don't button my top button because with a camera bag on one shoulder and the camera on the other it's literally like being strangled. It's subtle, but it's distracting. By the end of the night my collar is all disheveled looking anyway from the weight of the equipment. My slacks are about a size up to allow for room as I often kneel to get a better angle.

Wearing a jacket is ridiculous.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Ric L.
• •
p.2 #9 · Venue rules

What does it say about wearing pants?

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.2 #10 · Venue rules

Robin Usagani wrote:
Win! Green one!

I'm going to disagree with you here and say that a maroon one really screams "I drive a Deloreon and love myself some good 1980's fashion."

Pic for reference:

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

blueirisarts
• •
p.2 #11 · Venue rules

bring a jacket... put on said jacket... enter venue... take off jacket and place by bag. People will see you walking fast... up/down/bob/weave. They won't question it when you have to roll up your sleeves because you are sweatin' so much!

I have never had an issue with taking the jacket off. People usually complement me at the end of the night by saying how hard I work.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:42 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #12 · Venue rules

I'd wear a jacket. If it's just the reception, you can pretty easily mirror guests, who will wear jackets for a short time, and then probably take them off. At least a significant number will remove jackets for dinner, and you'll blend in when you take yours off with them.

It's really not an unbearable burden to wear a jacket while shooting. It's certainly not as convenient or comfortable, but it seems hardly making an issue out of it. Also, consider getting a (suit) vest. That's easy to wear and won't draw attention.

I would, however, be fascinated to see the language referring to you as a subcontractor. Can you post some of that? (Or PM me?) This isn't a contract, is it? It's just a list of rules?

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #13 · Venue rules

I'm going to disagree with you here and say that a maroon one really screams "I drive a Deloreon and love myself some good 1980's fashion." Pic for reference:

I loved my maroon Members Only jacket in the '80s. Did anyone ever figure out what the shoulder straps were actually for? I am absolutely convinced they had a purpose.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:28 PM
camerausername
• •
p.2 #14 · Venue rules

I hate that a suit jacket is considered the most formal attire. It's fine in winter, but a style from Northern Europe doesn't make any sense to wear in 100 degree summers. Eurocentrism has such a grip on culture that nobody questions it, no matter how miserable they are wearing a jacket in the summer. Maybe I'm crazy, or maybe I'm just too practical.

[/rant]

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:31 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Venue rules

maxwell1295 wrote:
Is this place close enough for you to drive there and meet the manager(s) in person? I try to visit venues and introduce myself to the people in charge whenever possible.

Sage advice. I think it will be worth your while to drive there. It's a sign of respect and as pointed out, it can come with unexpected benefits.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Venue rules

TAGfan wrote:
I carry two cameras and a couple lenses on my body, that's a pain in the ass.

Photographers have been wearing suit coats for ages carrying around lots of gear.

Sep 13, 2012 at 07:52 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Venue rules

echo Ian - I'd wear the suit. I do at every wedding and it isn't ridiculous. Viewing the job as manual labor is a choice, and my experience working black tie weddings leads me to believe that most other black tie vendors can get the job done and look great, calm, and polished at all times. That's part of the appeal.

- trr

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:02 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Venue rules

What's so hard about wearing a suit jacket? As Ian mentioned, I wear a vest and a tie and the jacket depends on how hot it is (generally it's really hot so I don't wear it), but certainly showing up with it on and then removing it like everyone else there shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:10 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Venue rules

canerino wrote:
8-Ball Jacket

Chuck... I love it. You're so thug.

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:24 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.2 #20 · Venue rules

TRReichman wrote:
echo Ian - I'd wear the suit. I do at every wedding and it isn't ridiculous. Viewing the job as manual labor is a choice, and my experience working black tie weddings leads me to believe that most other black tie vendors can get the job done and look great, calm, and polished at all times. That's part of the appeal.

- trr

"most" other black tie vendors ? You mean like the video guy standing around shooting.....not directing, posing, orchestrating, capturing a variety of angle, stooping, running around, climbing, or the DJ, standing there talking on a microphone ? I guess if we could stand in one place for most of our job we'd look polished too...not like we're really working.

Sep 13, 2012 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password