Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D users
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · OM-D users

What do you see as the main advantage to yourself of this camera over, say, a 5D/D700?

Curious why some of you, owning a bunch of Canon or Nikon glass already, would buy into this additional camera system. Trying to understand what the OM-D allows you to do that can't be done with your current Nikon/Canon gear.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:02 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · OM-D users

Size, relatively low expense, waist-level shooting with the touchscreen, simplicity, more DOF at wide-open apertures (I think this is a benefit, hipsters and artists may disagree ).

What can't be done is that my back doesn't hurt. I also can take my OM-D everywhere and I don't take a nikon anywhere.

I'm going to buck the data and say that the video out of the OM-D is better than any NIkon as well.

- trr

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · OM-D users

TRReichman wrote:
waist-level shooting with the touchscreen

Use the waist-level shooting at weddings at all?

And you are or are not using the grip?

Is this your only camera out on jobs now?

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:21 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · OM-D users

Waist level can be used everywhere. Haven't used it at a wedding yet, but I will at my next wedding. I have the grip, at this point I like it best with the front grip but with the smaller lenses I don't feel I need the bottom grip. I might once I try the upcoming 35-100 or the 75mm. Hasn't been my only camera yet, but if I deem it capable it very likely may be. I'd probably always have a Nikon kit with me, but I'd be very comfortable using 1-2 OM-Ds for the majority of the day. I would probably shoot formals with a Nikon though, just because. And probably portraits although the 75mm looks amazing.

- trr

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:31 AM
Wolfe_boy
• • •
p.1 #5 · OM-D users

I'm certainly concerned what your opinion is on its low-light af performance. i think there are significant advantages to its small size, and the lens selection (particularly primes) is quite good, but how it performs during the reception and a dark ceremony will be telling.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:44 AM
bthatton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · OM-D users

I can't really see wanting to use this at a wedding extensively. But at documenting the rest of my life that I do NOT want to carry a D4 to... it's perfect.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:47 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · OM-D users

bthatton wrote:
I can't really see wanting to use this at a wedding extensively.

Apparently some people are doing just that.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:02 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #8 · OM-D users

i am taking mine to my neices wedding this weekend, not to be obnoxious, but to test it out - reception only photos, no flash. we'll see. i know i just got the camera 2 weeks ago and am in love with it! it's fast, high iso looks great so far - and i can hold it, and pick a point on the screen and get a picture - FAST!

i don't think it will replace the 5dm3's...but it can seriously help when my hands/wrists/and fingers get fatigued, since you can use radio triggers, i figure it's a win.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:04 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · OM-D users

A few months back, I remember hearing this same hype about the Nex7...

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:55 AM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #10 · OM-D users

I am shooting OMDs at all my weddings and portrait events. Most of my work since 2004 has been either Olympus 4/3 or now M4/3. I love the small size, fast AF and color signature. I also like the deeper DOF wide open. The new Oly 75mm is ridiculously good, one of the best lenses I have used.. and I used to use a lot of the L glass extensively. You can check my website... my customers are pleased and I am pleased. Enough said.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · OM-D users

bthatton wrote:
I can't really see wanting to use this at a wedding extensively. But at documenting the rest of my life that I do NOT want to carry a D4 to... it's perfect.

this is my take. i am definitely looking forward to using it in some applications during a wedding day, specifically making use of the incredible in body IS that the OMD offers.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:15 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · OM-D users

as expected, the OMD files are not that 'dense'. the files just dont hold if you do not nail exposure or need to do a lot of work on the file...especially when shot at higher ISOs.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:17 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #13 · OM-D users

as expected, the OMD files are not that 'dense'. the files just dont hold if you do not nail exposure or need to do a lot of work on the file...especially when shot at higher ISOs.

This is absolutely true and something I came to learn quickly about the system... there isn't the latitude but since I learned photography in the darkroom nearly a decade ago the discipline of film has really helped to mitigate this issue for me in my digital systems (I shoot with an OM1n during my weddings as well). When I look back at the tech used by pros the past 15 years I realize how good we have it with the OMD.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:24 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · OM-D users

ryan21 wrote:
This is absolutely true and something I came to learn quickly about the system... there isn't the latitude but since I learned photography in the darkroom nearly a decade ago the discipline of film has really helped to mitigate this issue for me in my digital systems (I shoot with an OM1n during my weddings as well). When I look back at the tech used by pros the past 15 years I realize how good we have it with the OMD.

while this is true, i cant help but want a bit more when i go from editing a 5d3 file to the OMD files

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:29 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · OM-D users

D. Diggler wrote:
What do you see as the main advantage to yourself of this camera over, say, a 5D/D700?

Curious why some of you, owning a bunch of Canon or Nikon glass already, would buy into this additional camera system. Trying to understand what the OM-D allows you to do that can't be done with your current Nikon/Canon gear.

i am buying into the system. my motivations are not based my professional shooting though. photography started as a pure love for me with the photography of my family. as i shoot more weddings, i shoot my family less. i stepped back and looked at why this was happening. one of the biggest factors was that i no longer wanted to pick up my 'big camera' during the week...they remained tucked away in a bag, ready for the next shoot.

the OMD won out for me over the xpro 1, x100, and sony nex cameras in large part because of the lens lineup that is available. there are some stellar little primes. my OMD has a 32gb card in it and comes with me everywhere...i just shoot whatever i want to shoot and i'll process later.

to answer your question directly, my 5d3 with 35L crushes the OMD in all categories...except for size.

Sep 13, 2012 at 01:35 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #16 · OM-D users

5d3 with 35L crushes the OMD in all categories...except for size.

and price

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #17 · OM-D users

canerino wrote:
i am buying into the system. my motivations are not based my professional shooting though. photography started as a pure love for me with the photography of my family. as i shoot more weddings, i shoot my family less. i stepped back and looked at why this was happening. one of the biggest factors was that i no longer wanted to pick up my 'big camera' during the week...they remained tucked away in a bag, ready for the next shoot.

the OMD won out for me over the xpro 1, x100, and sony nex cameras in large part because of
...Show more

Chuck, I am sort of in the same situation... I used to carry my dSLR with me everywhere and took photos of the family all the time, but now that I am doing more professional work, I also leave my 'big cameras' in their bags until the next shoot/wedding.

I bought a X100 before thinking it would be MY family camera, but it just didn't work for me (mainly the slow focus). I am interested in the OM-D for family/everyday photos as well. How user-friendly is it? Can your wife pick it up and use it no problem? I want something better than the S95 we currently use, but it also needs to be easy to use where my wife can figure it out

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · OM-D users

JR Magat wrote:
Chuck, I am sort of in the same situation... I used to carry my dSLR with me everywhere and took photos of the family all the time, but now that I am doing more professional work, I also leave my 'big cameras' in their bags until the next shoot/wedding.

I bought a X100 before thinking it would be MY family camera, but it just didn't work for me (mainly the slow focus). I am interested in the OM-D for family/everyday photos as well. How user-friendly is it? Can your wife pick it up and use it no problem? I want
...Show more

it can be user friendly. the one gripe i have with the camera is that it feels more like a piece of electronic equipment than it does a camera.

but this has benefits. you can literally assign just about any function of a camera to any button...basically, the camera can be tailored to the way you shoot.

you can definitely hand it to your wife...just switch to 'auto' and boom, you have a point and shoot.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:29 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #19 · OM-D users

Thanks Chuck!

Ahh... the 'Auto' mode! Yes, I think my wife has missed that mode... I'll do some research but might look at a small OM-D setup

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:41 PM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #20 · OM-D users

this thing is super user friendly. you literally just touch the screen on the back - and boom - photo. so easy even my husband can do it - and trust me...that is saying something (he has trouble with phone, ipad...you get the idea..alarm clocks)

the first three posts on this blog - are OMD photos - i have tons more just not loaded anywhere. http://jsgrey.com/blogg/

these were all done with the 'finger' focus method.

Sep 13, 2012 at 02:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password