Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Portsmouth Criterion
  
 
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portsmouth Criterion


Up to Portsmouth NH after the presidential candidates made their appearances
Came upon this criterion racing a course through the center of town.
Of course I had a camera with me, but I was anticipating some shots of Strawberry Banke or the Portsmouth Harbor, not action images.
So, wrong camera.
Anyhow, couldnt resist some shots.
Thoughts about this?

thx
Scott



GoetzPhotoz 2012

  Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/3000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  



Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions



Sep 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM
ben egbert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portsmouth Criterion


Looks to me like you nailed that front rider. Nice job.


Sep 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portsmouth Criterion


Maybe a slight crop off the bottom or left edge ... but I don't think anybody is gonna cry too much @ "wrong camera".

Definitely falls into the category of "message sent" "message received" ... good stuff, even if more PJ than artistic.

For some strange reason, I find myself drawn to the left most rider's front wheel with its larger lettering. It makes me wonder if he is going to "overtake" the prominent central figure as they round the corner.

My cycling days are long behind me, but I can "feel" this guy making his move.



Sep 13, 2012 at 02:46 AM
Camperjim
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portsmouth Criterion


Nice shot. I am glad you left the foreground shadows.


Sep 13, 2012 at 02:53 AM
AuntiPode
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portsmouth Criterion


If you are close, action shots are usually sweetest of you pan with the action and allow the blur of the background to provide the feel of speed. Another tip for criterions is the best shots are typically of the crowds watching the riders.




Sep 13, 2012 at 05:09 AM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portsmouth Criterion


ben egbert wrote:
Looks to me like you nailed that front rider. Nice job.


thanks, Ben.
Preset the focus manually, then waited.

Scott



Sep 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portsmouth Criterion


RustyBug wrote:
Maybe a slight crop off the bottom or left edge ... but I don't think anybody is gonna cry too much @ "wrong camera".

Definitely falls into the category of "message sent" "message received" ... good stuff, even if more PJ than artistic.

For some strange reason, I find myself drawn to the left most rider's front wheel with its larger lettering. It makes me wonder if he is going to "overtake" the prominent central figure as they round the corner.

My cycling days are long behind me, but I can "feel" this guy making his move.


Did you race?
I still do a lot of cycling, mostly long rides and a charity ride yearly. This was my 5th or 6th Vermont MS Ride.

Scott



Sep 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portsmouth Criterion


Camperjim wrote:
Nice shot. I am glad you left the foreground shadows.


Thanks Jim.
To me, the shadows were the most important part.

Scott



Sep 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portsmouth Criterion


AuntiPode wrote:
If you are close, action shots are usually sweetest of you pan with the action and allow the blur of the background to provide the feel of speed. Another tip for criterions is the best shots are typically of the crowds watching the riders.



Good advice.
I actually tried several panning shots. No practice, so you can guess the outcome.
Scott



Sep 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portsmouth Criterion


Wonderful job separating rider from the other competitors! Somehow I'd like more on the left and less on the right.

More than several years ago, armed with my new first DSLR (D70), 18-200mm zoom lens, and tripod, I set out to photograph the Tour De Georgia as it began its 5(?) day ride in town. I did manage to capture Lance Armstrong (required looking very closely into the peloton) as a group of riders negotiated both a corner and course marshal pointing out uneven pavement and manhole cover. Somehow, as is often my experience, the images marginally matched the 'moment' - even if the moment lasted fewer than 30 seconds - no options for re-shooting .

You've done, imo, a great job capturing the moment, yes perhaps some panning would add to it. Still, good work.

Regards,

Bob



Sep 13, 2012 at 03:24 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portsmouth Criterion


+1 @ prefocus & shadows ... although the one shadow makes me think of ET.

I raced a bit locally, back in the 70's.

My daily commute to school was 20+ miles round trip. Every morning was a 10 mile time trial for me ... rain, shine or snow. And then if I wanted to go to work or my GF's house ... well, 40-50 miles a day wasn't unusual. I had thoughts @ more racing, till I met up with a member of the Olympic Team ... humbling, very humbling.



Sep 13, 2012 at 04:06 PM
pinball_pw
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portsmouth Criterion


Nice shot. I like the DOF and shadows for sure as well as the angle of the riders to show the action. Cheers - Paul


Sep 13, 2012 at 04:42 PM
sbeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Portsmouth Criterion


Bob, Kent, Paul,
An overdue thanks for your input.

Scott



Sep 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password