Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cropping in Camera...

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Cropping in Camera...

Usually when I hear people talk about how they only crop in camera, it carries with it a bit of pride/principle. It is though cropping after the fact is an inferior thing and is the tool of slackness. Obviously, doing it in camera is the fastest way requiring no post work, but I am wondering if there is another reason (besides pride of getting it perfect in camera) that makes this such a big point for so many people. I personally do tend to crop fairly often in post, so I was just curious

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Cropping in Camera...

I always crop in camera. (loosely) The shot is based on the intended composition and vision of the image.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:19 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #3 · Cropping in Camera...

Joel, it depends. I generally crop in camera. But sometimes I may have to crop in post. That's mostly because of only using primes and sometimes if people get in the way from the side and I can't retake "that moment" I leave it alone and crop it later. But for most part, no additional crop.

Another reason I've heard is "why lose pixels?" and being that my camera is only 16mp, I don't have a huge amount of wiggle room since I deliver my images at 4000px wide.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:25 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Cropping in Camera...

The big point is efficiency I think. I don't want to have to recompose every photo in post to get it right. I do agree with MBMK that it tends to be more prevalent for prime photographers. When we were all prime we cropped a ton in post, now that we shoot zooms we rarely do except to straighten.

- trr

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:37 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Cropping in Camera...

i take it like a point of pride and skill to not crop. this isnt something i strictly abide by though. there is something satisfying to me (on a personal level) to know that many of my images delivered are exactly how i shot them.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnrg
• • •
p.1 #6 · Cropping in Camera...

Agree with Todd that we usually only straighten or crop out something at the very edge, at least with the full-res images we deliver to the client. We crop a bit more often for albums/blog posts, but rarely do we cut a significant chunk of the frame.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #7 · Cropping in Camera...

My second digital camera was the Nikon D2h with a whopping 4MP sensor. I had to learn to shoot with no crop, because there weren't enough pixels there to lose any.

Now I am trying to learn to leave a little room in the frame, but find it hard to do.

Andrew

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:23 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #8 · Cropping in Camera...

Cropping in camera is great until it isn't, like when you need a 1x1 or 8x10 aspect ratio. No amount of proficiency or SOOC pride club membership will get you there. We had a recent related thread on this topic, and this is what I said there:

eNoBlog wrote:
Point 1: getting right in camera doesn't mean use every last megapixel. It means, getting the shot you intend to get through pre-visualization. If you intend a photo (say a group shot) to be a 11x14 print candidate, make sure you leave space to allow for the post-production crop.

Point 2: non-standard sizes are possible, but they are less likely to connect for a single print, and more likely to be useful as part of a multi-photo album page or stand-alone panel.

Point 3: crops for some reason are really confusing to our clients. Make sure you explain to them that if
...Show more

As a corollary to these points, I'll just state we don't live in a 3:2 (or whatever aspect ratio your camera shoots) world. Logically, there's nothing intrinsically correct or universally must-have acceptable about a 3:2 crop.

Second corollary: unless your gifts of divination and into-the-future time travel are epic, you will not be able to anticipate all the possible uses of a photograph, with cropping being one of the affected outcomes.

Now, we can (and should) all agree that cropping after the fact because you didn't bother to compose in-camera isn't optimum or recommended.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:23 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Cropping in Camera...

I definitely frame a bit loose (note just a bit). Especially if you take an 8x10 print into the equation.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #10 · Cropping in Camera...

The only cropping I do in camera is with my mind, my eyes and my hands before the shutter goes off.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password