Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I have to admit, there's something about that camera that appeals to my inner Kevin Smith. I don't think I'd actually buy one, but it is awfully cool.

And while it's certainly not the optimal form-factor for hand-held stills, DSLRs aren't the best form-factor for video, and people make that work. Why shouldn't it work both ways?

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

does it shoot raw stills?

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:09 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

@ken.vs.ryu I think you mean compact primes since master primes only cover super35 format.

@allofthelights The compact primes are all full frame, and I thought they mentioned somewhere that these primes are compatible with the Sony full frame camcorder. I don't think they would limit this camcorder to APS-C only without the LA-EA3

@briantho , I might be in the same boat if they don't have a FF NEX camera next year (at least in the rumor state).

@freaklikeme With a film rig, you can always add more extension in for filming purpose. However, you can't truncate the size of a camcorder for some of the camera applications. I am thinking how I would work with this camcorder on a regular ball-head or a Wimberley. And street photography would be a no go.

@sebboh It can take raw stills at max 6fps

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:33 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

hiepphotog wrote:
@briantho , I might be in the same boat if they don't have a FF NEX camera next year (at least in the rumor state).

Actually, now I've given it some more thought, and it feels like the VG900 is the perfect step up for me from the NEX-5N. I get a camera with everything the NEX-7 has, adding tilt to the EVF, adding touch to the LCD, adding alot of battery life, plus the latest tech FF sensor, the LA-EA3 adapter, and all the added video related stuff like a 5.1 mic etc.

Sure, it's alot bigger, but size has never been the reason for me to use mirrorless, instead my enjoyment has come from being able to use all sorts of legacy lenses. The VG900 with for instance a Contarex 21mm Biogon or 50mm Planar, or 45mm Contax G will still be a very compact package, considering it's full frame in a video camera form factor.

I'd like to hear from those using the VG20 regarding still photography capabilities. What are the limitations compared to using for instance a NEX-7 or A99? I know you can shoot RAW, and that all the features like exposure bracketing, self timer, focus peaking etc are available. What would I be missing using the VG900 as a still camera as opposed to an A99 or NEX-7?

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I know nothing about video but apart from the outer design, why would anyone opt for the VG900 rather than the A99?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Why not just get an A99, remove the mirror, and get some C/Y Zeiss primes or something? It'll be a smaller package, and you'll have a more stills friendly setup.

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:02 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Well because you still have to Leitax it (and Leitax can't solve everything). Or in case of briantho, he would not be able to use his Contax G and Contarex. Overall, mirrorless is more flexible on this front.

@briantho you may want to ask Charles Michel:

http://www.videoacademy.ch/2012/05/18/fotografieren-mit-der-videokamera-nex-vg20-alpha-f2-8300mm-g/

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I understand that, but, at this price point, it's no big deal to consider other lens options, rather than cobbling together a zany still camera that might not even respond well to symmetrical lenses.

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Well in my case, even without those RF lenses, I have to spend roughly $1k on Leitax (mostly due to custom made mounts for my two C/Y lenses). Canon is always the most flexible platform for this sort of thing, but the EVF and peaking just make it so much easier to do manual focus. Admittedly, a mirrorless camera would be more ideal. Right now, it's just a waiting game.

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

Yikes, which C/Ys do you have?

Sep 15, 2012 at 01:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

The two Jahres, the last element is too big to use the regular mount.

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:24 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

That makes sense. Thanks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:26 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

sebboh wrote:
does it shoot raw stills?

"It captures full-frame, 24 megapixel still photos, with RAW format support for all the post-processing flexibility and quality expected from a pro-class DSLR camera'
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/12/Sony-NEX-VG900-full-frame-camcorder-and-VG-30-APS-C-model-and-18-200-power-zoom-lens#press

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:35 PM
joychris
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

briantho wrote:
I'd like to hear from those using the VG20 regarding still photography capabilities. What are the limitations compared to using for instance a NEX-7 or A99? I know you can shoot RAW, and that all the features like exposure bracketing, self timer, focus peaking etc are available. What would I be missing using the VG900 as a still camera as opposed to an A99 or NEX-7?

To me steadyshot is the most significant difference. With the VG you're limited to Nex OSS lenses and on the 900 that will enable the 1.5x crop mode. No steadyshot with FF lenses. On the A99 you get it with anything that'll adapt and any Alpha/Minolta AF lens. My alt's are Leica R, Zeiss C/Y and Rokkors, 2 out of 3 ain't bad for me and I think I'm selling the others for more Leica R as I really like the rendering of my 50/2 while shooting video. YMMV.

The ability to carry a VG on a neck strap and to quickly bring it up to your eye and snap off a shot stick out as other (obviously) major differences - along with a slight weight penalty which varies depending on which size battery you use with the VG as there are 3 different sizes IIRC. I can't imaging carrying a VG900 for a night out with the wife, she already mocks me when I take anything bigger than the 5n.

My Nex5n focuses faster than the VG20 I tinkered with, but the menu system was very similar, it was easy to find everything settings-wise. I would expect the A99 to focus faster as well. Don't know if the 900 has it, but the A99 videos show that you can set a focus range so the camera will only focus through a distance range you choose - say 3 to 7 feet - instead of hunting all over the place.

The VG has great handling as a camcorder, but its a little weird for stills. Its just a different way of making adjustments as the control layout is for video. On the A99 you have two control dials - like any DSLR - along with the customizable dial next to the lens giving you the ability to adjust three parameters without pressing buttons. On the VG you press a button to adjust the gain/ISO then turn the control wheel on the bottom edge of the camera to dial in your setting and press-click the wheel to lock it in, then you do the same for aperture (iris on the VG), then you do the same for shutter speed - its a more deliberate process.

Sep 15, 2012 at 03:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

douglasf13 wrote:
Why not just get an A99, remove the mirror, and get some C/Y Zeiss primes or something? It'll be a smaller package, and you'll have a more stills friendly setup.

lenses. i don't think there are any c/y primes that are quite like the g 45. certainly not either of the 50s, though they are both very nice lenses.

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

sebboh wrote:
lenses. i don't think there are any c/y primes that are quite like the g 45. certainly not either of the 50s, though they are both very nice lenses.

Of course, but I still wouldn't think putting the Gs on the VG-900 and using it as a still camera is a better option. I've still got my Contax G 35, 45 and 90, but I'm not tempted by this camera. Granted, I'm interested to find out how the lenses perform on it.

Sep 15, 2012 at 04:53 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

douglasf13 wrote:
Maybe we'll see a hack community remove the video parts and put it in a smaller body

Something Like This?

Sep 15, 2012 at 05:17 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I will need a serious grip for that one

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:00 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

I wonder if it wouldn't be awkward to use the VG900 in portrait orientation. Also, does it have 3:2 or 16:9 screen and viewfinder?

Sep 15, 2012 at 06:14 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · new Sony NEX-VG900 with M lenses?

hiepphotog wrote:
@freaklikeme With a film rig, you can always add more extension in for filming purpose. However, you can't truncate the size of a camcorder for some of the camera applications. I am thinking how I would work with this camcorder on a regular ball-head or a Wimberley. And street photography would be a no go.

Well, it's obviously a different form factor, but it's not so different from my Hassy CM that still shooting would be a major issue. It's not the most discrete camera, no, but neither is a DSLR. If you were motivated enough, you could make it work.

Sep 15, 2012 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password