Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

What do you guys recommend? Looking for something suitable for accent/hair/rim lighting and also something that would work for lighting dancers.

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:47 PM
euronail
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Chimera is my best choice. I used to have PhotoFlex, they are not very good quality.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:49 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Which Chimera? I was looking at some from bhphoto and it seems that several of the stripbox grids are discontinued.

Sep 11, 2012 at 08:08 PM
316shooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Chimera Super Pro Plus are very well made and versatile. The fabric grids are made by Lighttools for Chimera and should be readily available. I use them on both my small and medium Chimera strips. If not available at B&H, you can order directly from Lighttools.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #5 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

+1 for Chimera......its where my money is going for my next softbox. Super Pro Plus medium strip box w/white interior. And grid.

Sep 12, 2012 at 01:46 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Half the magic of Chimera softboxes is the quick-release speed ring:

Pricey (especially if you need the short poles like Eli) but the dividend is ease of use. Plus, your eyes will thank you when they don't get poked out. When idle, my medium SB is folded down like an umbrella, and stands on the floor. It can be retensioned in five seconds flat.

Ref:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354772-REG/Chimera_2170QR_Quick_Releaser_Speed_Ring.html

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Those tabs look pretty wide. I had problems with some 3rd party adapters fitting on my bxri. Photodiox for example, I had to dremel the tabs down. Is there a locking screw on the other side of the adapter to lock it so it doesn't spin when you're putting the box on the light?

There are enough kudos for the chimera that I'll definitely be getting one of those. Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #8 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

jzucker wrote:
Is there a locking screw on the other side of the adapter to lock it so it doesn't spin when you're putting the box on the light?

No, there are hex screws holding the insert. But you can replace one of them by a thumbscrew if you need to block the ring from spinning too easily.

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:20 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

PeterBerressem wrote:
No, there are hex screws holding the insert. But you can replace one of them by a thumbscrew if you need to block the ring from spinning too easily.

what I have found with the fotodiox adapter is that the thumbscrews don't work well but now I just unhinge one side of the softbox and grip the adapter with my hand and rotate the adapter into place. This works if the adapter slides into the flash mount easily which didn't happen at first until I dremeled it!

Sep 12, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

I have two from Cheetah and I love them....good price too.

Sep 12, 2012 at 03:43 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

jzucker wrote:
Those tabs look pretty wide. I had problems with some 3rd party adapters fitting on my bxri. Photodiox for example, I had to dremel the tabs down.

Chimera claims SR and other adapters as a core competence: that includes a slew of hardware for attaching their boxes to big-brand hot lights. The Profoto insert for their QR/SR is indistinguishable from OEM. Given the price, it probably is OEM.

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:44 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Stripbox and grid recommendations for Elinchrom?

Thanks Rico.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password