Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

So i'm editing a wedding, and i find myself cropping more stuff kinda how i want it to look, un-constrained aspect ratios....so not your standard 2:3, or 4:5....i mean, i may do one photo out of 100 like that.....obviously formals are going to be shot loose so i can crop them 4:5, 5x7/11x14 or 2:3....standard sizes....but the rest of your coverage, do you crop it how you want, or try and stick with 2:3 or 4:5??

BTW, before someone says "well get it right in camera!!".....i generally do get it how i want, but sometimes in the heat of battle you put that focus point where it lands, and then you gotta crop it later....so ASSUMING you're one who doesn't MIND cropping, what's your view on aspect ratios....

Sep 11, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Wolfe_boy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

I pick one aspect ratio & crop them all to that when supplying to the couple, usually whatever it was shot natively in. I also try to leave the framing just a little bit loose in case they do need to crop to fit other aspect ratios.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:01 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

Wolfe_boy wrote:
I pick one aspect ratio & crop them all to that when supplying to the couple, usually whatever it was shot natively in. I also try to leave the framing just a little bit loose in case they do need to crop to fit other aspect ratios.

pretty much agree with this.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

RichardLavigne wrote:
pretty much agree with this.

+3

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:07 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

I ALWAYS keep the original aspect ratio. I just think it doesn't look good when you have a set of images in different sizes and if they happen to print it it would look even worse.
BTW I crop a lot less these days since I have outer focus points to use with the 5d3

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:08 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

ShacharLee wrote:
and if they happen to print it it would look even worse.

Yeah, i guess you're right when it comes to the client printing themselves....i guess i'm optimistic that they'll just come to me when they want prints!! haha...fwiw, i NEVER crop 4:5 unless it's for a print....even then, i generally try and sway them to a 2:3 ratio print/canvas, that way you're not losing the wider aspect ratio....i hate 4:5....

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

I tend to stay at the same 2:3 ratio, but see absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing. Why let the camera dictate your composition if it doesn't quite match your vision?

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:13 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

We stick with the standard ratio 99% of the time. I think we cropped a couple of times for a pair of shots we delivered in our first photo journey.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:18 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

NathanHamler wrote:
i'm optimistic that they'll just come to me when they want prints!!

You're kind of new, aren't you.

Sep 11, 2012 at 04:20 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

D. Diggler wrote:
You're kind of new, aren't you.

I'll take that in good spirits, as to not get pissed :-) But yeah, i'd say there's a lot of people here who are "kinda new"....regardless, i know what you're trying to say, no offense taken....

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

I rarely crop, but when I do, I often crop in odd ratios, squares, ect... My biggest priorities are my blog and client albums, both of which are critically important to my business. Print sales are not as important to me and so they aren't really a factor in how we display our work.

Sep 11, 2012 at 05:52 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

NathanHamler wrote:
I'll take that in good spirits, as to not get pissed :-) But yeah, i'd say there's a lot of people here who are "kinda new"....regardless, i know what you're trying to say, no offense taken....

I'm sure the comment is in good spirits but it's with truth. Really, if you look down the road at a size that your clients want printed and it doesn't match YOUR decision, then what? White or black borders? If the client wants to frame the image(s) will you supply your client with a proper frame? Experience will dictate.

Me, I stick with 4x3 and somewhat loose so they can be cropped to nearly any size. If I do something custom I will let the client know; but believe me, I rather stick with the basics for most of the images.

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

I pretty much always use whatever ratio it was shot in too. I always shoot formals on the loose side in case they want an 8x10, so the guys on the ends don't get chopped off. I always deliver a few cropped to a pano style, just for fun too. If I'm shooting squares, I leave them squares too.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:13 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

In 3 years of shooting weddings i've sold like 5 print orders for weddings...and like 2 canvas wraps...i dont really advertise print sales, but in my contract i do say that printing on your own is at the clients risk....i dont run my business off print sales...someone else brought up printing issues, so i agreed and tried to be funny with the optimistic comment, which CLEARLY was meant to be tongue in cheek...i've had enough experience to know how print sales do and don't work...my clients simply wont pay premium prices for prints, so i dont waste my time..the question was more about what you deliver, not really in the context of prints...obviously some clients will wanna make prints, but the photo that made me ponder the question wasnt really a shot a couple would likely be printing... Just a getting ready shot...

This isn't a question about how i do, or should run my business, or a question of how you run yours... Thanks to all the responses that stayed on topic...

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:15 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

Native. Loose.

Sep 11, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

i crop to standard 645 ratio

Sep 11, 2012 at 09:04 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

If your crop is somewhat rectangular with rounded corners.... be prepared to get a knock from Apple's Lawyers.

BTW, I crop to the way I like 'em. I sell mostly albums. So I crop to fit.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

Point 1: getting right in camera doesn't mean use every last megapixel. It means, getting the shot you intend to get through pre-visualization. If you intend a photo (say a group shot) to be a 11x14 print candidate, make sure you leave space to allow for the post-production crop.

Point 2: non-standard sizes are possible, but they are less likely to connect for a single print, and more likely to be useful as part of a multi-photo album page or stand-alone panel.

Point 3: crops for some reason are really confusing to our clients. Make sure you explain to them that if you delivered a disc of 3:2 ratio photos and they want to print 8x10 or 5x7, they will have to crop, or you can help them (for a fee?) with that part of it.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM
kirstin
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

i crop to suit the image, whatever feels right. continuity is not my strong point..

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you crop in standard aspect ratios??

eNoBlog wrote:
Point 3: crops for some reason are really confusing to our clients. Make sure you explain to them that if you delivered a disc of 3:2 ratio photos and they want to print 8x10 or 5x7, they will have to crop, or you can help them (for a fee?) with that part of it.

I believe this can be the biggest point and it certainty is "on topic" like all of the other replies. You print or not has more to do with the fact that you never know what your client is going to do with the files. Help them in advance.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password