Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Eye of Sauron

Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Eye of Sauron

One of my 5Dc's has just died from 7 years of long use, I was in the store today getting our Phase One DF camera fixed (I'm a camera jinx!) and took the opportunity to try out the 5D3 which I intend to buy to replace the broken 5Dc.

I had read about seeing the red focus confirmation flash through the lens but didn't realise that it was so bad! Every time you focus the entire lens lights up red. It was dark in the store though nowhere near as dark as a wedding reception and it was very bright.

Two things. Firstly forget taking unobtrusive photos with that thing during the ceremony or reception. Secondly, during formals or posed pics, you will get movement after focus but before exposure, people will think you already took the picture.

Or is it just me? I desperately want this camera to work for me, on paper and in the hand it's an absolute joy. It's just that as a wedding photographer this annoying little niggle, to me, becomes a real issue.

Thoughts?

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:32 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Eye of Sauron

some people love it ... others not so much.
Not sure why they made those dumb little changes like that.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:40 PM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Eye of Sauron

This made me laugh as I visualized it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:48 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Eye of Sauron

Beni wrote:
One of my 5Dc's has just died from 7 years of long use, I was in the store today getting our Phase One DF camera fixed (I'm a camera jinx!) and took the opportunity to try out the 5D3 which I intend to buy to replace the broken 5Dc.

I had read about seeing the red focus confirmation flash through the lens but didn't realise that it was so bad! Every time you focus the entire lens lights up red. It was dark in the store though nowhere near as dark as a wedding reception and it was very bright.

Two things.
...Show more

let me remind you, the 5d3 is the best wedding camera ever made.

the focus 'red' is the one thing that annoys me about the camera...i much preferred the 5d/5d2 focus confirmation. with that said, it has not inhibited my shooting at all. i've never had an issue with the 'red' calling attention to me when trying to take a candid.

also, i'm not sure i understand your other point...'movement after focus but before exposure'? it's never impacted me and i havent noticed anyone thinking i already took the photos.

good luck. its a great camera.

Sep 10, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Eye of Sauron

I'm wondering whether using the beep for confirmation would be less obtrusive and forget the red confirmation.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:01 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #6 · Eye of Sauron

They must have some reason to release 5dmkIV

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:40 PM
jasonhupe
• •
p.1 #7 · Eye of Sauron

I loved the focus on the 5D MK III but the little things bothered me. I actually found I enjoyed using my 5Dc's and MK II more, Im nuts. I ended up selling and made a commitment to shoot 5Dc and the MK II for as long as a I can.
Going to start hoarding them now.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:42 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Eye of Sauron

Problem with my 5Dc was that it was just too old. Replaced the shutter, mirror and had focus calibrated. The screen on the back is going and now the mirror box has gone. There's a limit to how much I'm willing to plough into this old trooper I'm afraid. It's 7 years old, has about 150,000 frames on it and it might just be time to allow it to die. Any other I might buy will be in that condition soon enough. That and after 7 years, I want focus adjust. I'm an f1.8 shooter and it's been a frustrating time.

I did notice that the focus was more hesitant on the mkIII than with my 5Dc though it was of course gorgeously accurate every time in low light and the 50mm 1.4 we were using it with. I could deal with the speed if it wasn't for that red light.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM
jasonhupe
• •
p.1 #9 · Eye of Sauron

Ive been using my 5Dc's for five years now and they are both still going strong. Put about 20K clicks on each through the year. I just bought another 5Dc. I actually found MF fine tuning really helps with me. Let the AF do the main focus and then MF to get it just right. Won't work for quick situations. What seals the deal for me is the files and colors. Tried the D700, D3, 1DS II, 1DSMKIII, 5DMKIII and still just love natural light images with the 5D. It gets me a file that is exactly what I want the scene to look like almost all the time.

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Eye of Sauron

jasonhupe wrote:
Let the AF do the main focus and then MF to get it just right. Won't work for quick situations.

Quick situations is exactly what weddings are I'm afraid.

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

swoop
• • •
p.1 #11 · Eye of Sauron

They still offer the 5D mk2 brand new. It's really all the camera most people will ever need.

Sep 10, 2012 at 07:54 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #12 · Eye of Sauron

canerino wrote:
let me remind you, the 5d3 is the best wedding camera ever made [by Canon].

Fixed it for ya.

Sep 10, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #13 · Eye of Sauron

ACRe wrote:
Fixed it for ya.

I was going to edit it as well until I saw this. Thanks!

No trolling necessary on an otherwise useful thread.

Sep 10, 2012 at 09:30 PM
jasonhupe
• •
p.1 #14 · Eye of Sauron

This post just made me paranoid and made me buy another 5Dc from the BS Board....lol

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Eye of Sauron

It was the super quiet shutter which really made the thing stand out for me, so quiet you can hardly hear it when you are the one holding it but what use is that when a large red light is broadcasting your presence and the fact you have taken a photo instead?

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:29 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Eye of Sauron

Great title

Sep 11, 2012 at 06:32 AM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #17 · Eye of Sauron

Silent shutter, overly capable AF and the superb pairing with new 600ex's would make it impossible for me to go back, T-1000 eye or not

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Eye of Sauron

I'm just going to repair my 5Dc. Shot a wedding yesterday with my remaining 5Dc and a borrowed one. Incredible camera, no fuss, no gadgets but just worked, perfectly, focus spot on at f1.8. Incredible files, great pictures. 300 to repair the camera or 2300 for a 5D3 with slightly slower focus and the eye of Sauron. Dear Canon, I'll think again when you fix it in firmware, until then I still love the older and less glamorous sister....

Only finished the wedding and got home at 3am, didn't sleep much as had to be in the studio early, first time I've even just flipped though the pics. All these are iso 1600, SOOC aside from very minor brightness adjust on the middle one. You can see why I think the 5Dc is so great!

Sep 12, 2012 at 05:49 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · Eye of Sauron

Those 5DC files are very clean indeed. Remind me a lot of my D700's. Very nice.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password