Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · are tripods overrated?

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · are tripods overrated?

Joel grimes makes the case: http://www.joelgrimesworkshops.com/Joel_Grimes_Photography/Blog/Entries/2012/10/4_Solid_Platform.html

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:30 AM
hulk2006
• •
p.4 #2 · are tripods overrated?

I'm thinking of getting the Slik Pro 700DX Tripod with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head tripod for Christmas. My camera is the D90 and my heaviest lens is probably the Tamron 70-300. Any opinions on this particular tripod?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131427-REG/Slik_615_315_Pro_700DX_Tripod_with.html#reviews

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:23 PM
dr_teng

p.4 #3 · are tripods overrated?

I definitely prefer shooting without a tripod but for some shots and in some situations, it's simply an essential tool. So no, I wouldn't consider them overrated. Rather, some people use them in situations where they're not necessary or useful. Just like any other tool, it's about using it when it's appropriate.

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:24 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · are tripods overrated?

rodmcwha wrote:
Chez, could you post one of those ten second motion shots of a basketball player making a dunk?
Thanks

Motion in water, streams, waterfalls, oceans etc. Motion in clouds. Motion in car tail lights during street scenes. Open your mind and you'll see all sorts of possibilities.

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:49 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.4 #5 · are tripods overrated?

. but when shooting say at 17mm, f8, and 1/100 sec, Does a tripod really improve the detail and printability of the image that much

No. Zero if you are steady.

does it come at a cost of creativity

Yes. Although sometimes it helps creativity.

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:23 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · are tripods overrated?

AmbientMike wrote:
No. Zero if you are steady.

Yes. Although sometimes it helps creativity.

And there lies the problem...if you are steady.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.4 #7 · are tripods overrated?

rodmcwha wrote:
Chez, could you post one of those ten second motion shots of a basketball player making a dunk?
Thanks

Not sure if serious...

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:55 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · are tripods overrated?

Ever used a tripod on a carpet?

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · are tripods overrated?

yep, with good designed spikes and added weight.

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.4 #10 · are tripods overrated?

Is this a serious question? Of course tripods are not always needed, but is a necessary tool in many various situations.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
p.4 #11 · are tripods overrated?

I shoot DX (Nikon), 35mm (Leica), 120 (Rollei, Bessa), 4x5 (Chamonix), and half plate (Watson & Son 1880s.) I don't see any connection to my creativity and what format I'm using. For me, it's all mental. And most of the time I am using a tripod.

Kent in SD

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · are tripods overrated?

boingyman wrote:
Is this a serious question? Of course tripods are not always needed, but is a necessary tool in many various situations.

actually photographers are the overrated things

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:18 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.4 #13 · are tripods overrated?

So I'm realizing that sometimes there is no real solution tripod for certain circumstances. I just tried a time-lapse at a construction site and EVERYTHING was shaking/vibrating. There aren't any tripods with motion stabilization to stabilize ground tremors are there? I carry a basic Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod for some wedding work and commercial work. These things really only stabilize enough for basics. If I was taking video at the construction site, I might need a motion stabilized tripod because even IS lenses would still get the ground tremors.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · are tripods overrated?

whtrbt7 wrote:
So I'm realizing that sometimes there is no real solution tripod for certain circumstances. I just tried a time-lapse at a construction site and EVERYTHING was shaking/vibrating. There aren't any tripods with motion stabilization to stabilize ground tremors are there? I carry a basic Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod for some wedding work and commercial work. These things really only stabilize enough for basics. If I was taking video at the construction site, I might need a motion stabilized tripod because even IS lenses would still get the ground tremors.

You may want to mechanically isolate as much vibration as possible from the tripod first and then consider adding the IS. Try a Kenlab too.

EBH

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · are tripods overrated?

whtrbt7 wrote:

Yeah, they're called WOOD....Berlebach/Ries Been killin' vibrations like forever

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:28 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.4 #16 · are tripods overrated?

I know what you meant, Chez, I am just trying to point out that we all don't shoot the same subjects and that, in my case, a tripod is useless.
If I were to use a tripod to shoot performance, my 200 f2 would get scratched when the security threw me out into the alley!
I will give you that a tripod improves iq, but there are many genres of photography that would be impossible with them..

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:55 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.4 #17 · are tripods overrated?

Thanks for the suggestions. So my options are a stabilizer or a wooden tripod. So IMO tripods are great for time-lapse work and anything requiring long exposures or movement. Basically I'm shooting where there's like an earthquake tremor from CAT machines and dropping steel.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · are tripods overrated?

the only real option is move further away and adjust your gear appropriately. find a location to shoot from that is not affected by said "tremors". none of these other options will really work. you need to decouple the tripod assy from the shake of the ground. no tripod will dampen that good. also as high a consistant shutter speed as your camera can muster.

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · are tripods overrated?

Tripods? We don't need no stinking tripods!

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.4 #20 · are tripods overrated?

For the case mentioned above with vibration at the construction site, wood will not really help. It does have good internal dampening properties, but it is not enough better than carbon fiber or even aluminum to overcome serious vibration issues coming up from the ground. If you have no stable surface to work from, an image stabilized lens is likely going to be your best bet, and it will take care of both "slow" motion like unsteady hands, and "fast" motiong like mechanical vibration. Plus your body takes out a lot of what comes from below if you are not leaning on anything for bracing.

Dec 20, 2012 at 04:04 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password