New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · are tripods overrated?

wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · are tripods overrated?

kevindar wrote:
it has always been noticeable to me that creativity in composition tends to be inversely related to format size. the larger the format, the more unadventurous or stiff the composition. I have seen this to be true even with the images from individual phtographers. Carrying the Galen example in the present day, there's a great deal of freedom afforded by image stabilized lenses, reduce noise at high ISO settings, improvement in smaller sensors...."

I agree to some degree that weight and bulk makes you move around less and thus opens you up to fewer creative possibilities because of the physical tiredness of lugging gear around.

So what I do is always have my camera and 50/1.4 with me basically 24/7 ...nice and light, I can take it to work, buying groceries, wherever. That way whenever I have a spark of creativity, anywhere, anytime, I can just give it a shot, and with the fast aperture I get a heck of a lot of flexibility for handheld tack-sharp images. Creativity is least restricted with this kind of light lens, and it's also a good lens for professional-quality results at the same time.

Then, if I decide based on the scene that I could do better, for example by changing focal length, using filters, bringing my tripod and shooting at lower ISO, macro gear, whatever, I'll make it a point to return to the scene (assuming it's possible) with all my gear, and redo all those creative sparks with better thought-out technique.

I do this on vacation as well; I set aside "photography re-do" days where all I do is go back out and re-do all the creative moments, possibly at different times, different lighting, different weather, etc.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · are tripods overrated?

When I go out to shoot landscapes, I bring a tripod. It's a travel sized one...and it's the only one I own, but it's adequate for my camera and a UWA. I also take some landscape shots when I'm out shooting wildlife or something else too...but most of my best shots are the ones that I spend a minute thinking through and usually involve a shutter speed that wouldn't work handheld. Can we get amazing shots handheld? Yes. I think we'll get more with a tripod though.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM
lucasstahl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · are tripods overrated?

IMO, I think tripods are a necessary evil, they can slow you down, but you can't overlook the sharpness and composition that a tripod can help produce. Not too mention in this day in age of digital photography techniques a solid tripod can do wonders.(Long exposure, HDR, compositing)

Even though I've done it on occasion...I suppose you can always find a good tree or rock, but do you trust a tree or rock to handle your equipment?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · are tripods overrated?

You cant overrate the importance of a good tripod. It simply gets you better pictures.

Said that I agree that you can lose shoots while setting up the tripod.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · are tripods overrated?

There is a school of thought that says today's vibration reduction and very high ISOs make the tripod more and more a niche product. Certainly, the tripod is not required the way it was in days of slow film and slow shutter speeds.

Sep 15, 2012 at 08:44 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · are tripods overrated?

runamuck wrote:
There is a school of thought that says today's vibration reduction and very high ISOs make the tripod more and more a niche product. Certainly, the tripod is not required the way it was in days of slow film and slow shutter speeds.

10 sec exposure and yes I want 10 seconds to show motion....try shooting that handheld.

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Sean Mills
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · are tripods overrated?

runamuck wrote:

I would hardly say niche. High ISOs and VR/IS open up other avenues, but personally, I think in no way do they detract from or replace the majority of tripod techniques.

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:28 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · are tripods overrated?

runamuck wrote:

I think that is a pretty narrow school of thought - high ISO's still give up quality to lower ISO's (unless you're talking very expensive cameras that 90% of the photographers in the world don't have) and VR only solves so many problems...

(though I agree with your second statement)

Sep 16, 2012 at 06:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · are tripods overrated?

Of course it depends on the situation and requirements. For example this week I have been doing 500MP+ pans in relatively low light. Try that without proper equipment.

EBH

Sep 16, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · are tripods overrated?

Tripod use is simply a matter of shutter speed. I've shot handheld with a 7D/500F4/1.4x and got sharp shots. If you are shooting a wide angle lens in good light and can get good shutter speed there is no reason to use a tripod.

However whenever I'm doing serious landscape work its always in low light with filters and low ISO. Hand-holding is never an option in this case. So yes as others have said: a necessary evil...

Sep 17, 2012 at 04:57 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · are tripods overrated?

Gyroscope wrote:
I've shot handheld with a 7D/500F4/1.4x and got sharp shots.

Wow, you must definitely be a Gyroscope then

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:23 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · are tripods overrated?

However whenever I'm doing serious landscape work its always in low light with filters and low ISO. Hand-holding is never an option in this case. So yes as others have said: a necessary evil...

Not an "evil" at all IMO. I shoot on a tripod whenever possible, not just whenever necessay. I like using Live View like the groundglass of a medium or large format camera. I commonly shoot composite fodder, especially of groups.

I can go up to make arrangements in posing or the set and not lose the position or angle.

I prefer to get out from behind the camera and interact with my subjects directly. I find this extraordinarily beneficial for children, but useful for all subjects. I like to have the subject look at me, look at my eyes and be guided by my expresseions.

If I want them looking at the camera, I place my own face just above the camera and say, "Look at me." If I want them to look toward the said, I use a radio trigger and actually move away from the camera to where I want the subject to look and say, again, "Look at me." If I want them to look high, I stand tall and say, "Look at me." If I want them to look low, I crouch and say, "Look at me."

All that is done with the camera on a tripod.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · are tripods overrated?

the simple answer is: if you personally think you can get away without one, shooting the way you do or want to, then have at it. but then, after you find that there may have been a few images that coulda, woulda, shoulda have been done better with a legset (and your done blaming all your other gear and not the real culprit) you'll use it "next time".

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:41 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · are tripods overrated?

vsg28 wrote:
Wow, you must definitely be a Gyroscope then

Nope just lucky. Trust me its not my preferred mode of shooting with that lens but when you are in a safari vehicle and you are trying to track a low flying eagle that has suddenly appeared you just lift and shoot while you can.

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:15 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · are tripods overrated?

chez wrote:
10 sec exposure and yes I want 10 seconds to show motion....try shooting that handheld.

Where in my post did I say anything about trying to hand hold 10 second exposures? A lot people would say that to show motion you should get a video cam.

Maybe there are folks stupid/crazy enough to think they can hand hold a 10 second exposure? After all, the local fast food emporium puts coffee in cups that are plainly labeled that the contents are hot.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · are tripods overrated?

runamuck wrote:
Maybe there are folks stupid/crazy enough to think they can hand hold a 10 second exposure? After all, the local fast food emporium puts coffee in cups that are plainly labeled that the contents are hot.

I have handheld 10 sec exposures. Are you calling me "crazy/stupid" or even "folk"?

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:37 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · are tripods overrated?

Javier Munoz wrote:
I have handheld 10 sec exposures. Are you calling me "crazy/stupid" or even "folk"?

Well, how about posting one?

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:07 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · are tripods overrated?

Javier Munoz wrote:

I'm not calling you either, but I probably wouldn't call you "sharp"

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · are tripods overrated?

dcains wrote:
Well, how about posting one?

Never said they were sharp

only 5 seconds

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · are tripods overrated?

EBH

Sep 22, 2012 at 04:10 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.