Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              89      
       91              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.90 #1 · p.90 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yes, I was positively surprised. If it stays like this I won't have to worry about battery time at all. A couple of extras weigh very little and aren't too expensive compared to some other brands. Normally I don't take this many photos (far from it - for example in Cuba I took 250 photos in two weeks, and that's before deleting anything), but with a new camera it's different.

Yesterday I kept the camera in a Crumpler shoulder bag between shots. Today it was in my coat pocket, but the pocket is isolated only on the inside (between the camera and me) - on the outside it's just a thin cotton layer, so not very warm.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:19 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.90 #2 · p.90 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Once my EVF comes next week, I want to get a small bag/case for this camera.
Good to know about the cold weather battery life.
Lloyd Chambers has his copy and is posting his review in his pay section.

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 09:22 AM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:19 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.90 #3 · p.90 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Rockwell has posted his first draft of a review. Somehow he managed to not find the shutter speed dial.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:28 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.90 #4 · p.90 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

So far I love all low light photos I have got from RX1, but I really struggle with the white balance in daytime and at sunset. Sometimes colors are off in different ways which makes it hard to correct in Lightroom, but since it's an WB issue I'm sure it can be resolved. I'll continue experimenting.

(I have of course tried the various WB presets in camera, but none of them produced better results, just different.)

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.90 #5 · p.90 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

michaelwatkins wrote:
Rockwell has posted his first draft of a review. Somehow he managed to not find the shutter speed dial.

After reading his review, I realize I've used every camera in the A (Amateur mode), not P (Professional mode). How stupid of me.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.90 #6 · p.90 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Please, don't let this be a Rock Kenwell thread. Boooo!

-----------------

I haven't encountered the card problem again since last time. But I'm a bit worried that my lens is slightly misaligned.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.90 #7 · p.90 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
I haven't encountered the card problem again since last time. But I'm a bit worried that my lens is slightly misaligned.

Ouch, one soft edge or something like that?

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:15 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.90 #8 · p.90 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

now that people actually have the camera, can somebody check to see if you can tilt the flash back with your finger to bounce it the way you can with the NEX-7? i heard some random reviewer with a prototype saying you could not.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Tobers

p.90 #9 · p.90 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

No you can't tilt the flash back, it's fixed pointing forward.

On the subject of flash, here's a 1/2000th f/2 ISO50 remote flashed shot in direct sunlight using Pocket Wizards.

High speed flash sync 1/2000th by Tobers, on Flickr

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:29 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.90 #10 · p.90 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'd appreciate any input on a possible IQ issue I have with the RX1.

This afternoon after dark I went shooting, and noticed right away on the rear LCD that there was a strong yellow center cicrle and purple cast around it toward the edges. Noticeably more on the right hand side. EXIF is intact. These are jpg xtra fine and all in-camera corrections were set on "auto" except distortion. Three rubbish shots that show what I'm talking about, and then two from earlier today in daylight. At that time I didn't notice anything, but now I'm aware of this issue, you can tell it has a cyan cast on the left side, purple cast on the right.

I'd appreciate any input. For a $4000 camera, I'm not sure I think this is okay.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vovkinson
• • •
p.90 #11 · p.90 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I confirm - the RX1 flash can NOT be flipped up for bouncing.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.90 #12 · p.90 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Ouch, not pretty. Have you sent a comment to Sony? This is where programs like Capture One, which are aimed at pros, have a distinct advantage over consumer oriented programs like Lightroom. A white shading exposure can be added to fix this automatically. Medium format sensors have this problem too, especially with very wide angle lenses.

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:49 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.90 #13 · p.90 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I just came back from shooting. These are the best jpgs this camera can produce, and I for one like shooting jpg. I realize this is a mix of vignetting (which is not symmetric) and a cast like with the Kodak SLR/c.

Look at the upper and lower right corner of the last image. Edit: Just realized the corners are the same on the one above as well. Not acceptable.

To me, this ain't acceptable for such an expensive camera. I'll most likely return it for a refund.

Edited on Dec 15, 2012 at 05:09 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:53 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.90 #14 · p.90 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

So sorry to hear that mortyb!
Mine seems to be OK, but do you know if we are allowed to return the camera for a refund once we have started using it? I'm asking, because I'm not sure if the rules are the same as in Sweden.

Sorry for Makten too, if yours really have a decentered lens.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.90 #15 · p.90 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

That's not good Morty. I saw a very similar result on flickr recently:

Möve by Daniel Misteli, on Flickr
(not my photo)

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.90 #16 · p.90 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Honestly I'm a bit surprised. I know there's a risk being an early adopter, but still, I didn't expect this. Maybe my copy is worse than average.

I've returned a few things, and as long as the product is close to new, without any marks or anything, they have to accept it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:07 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.90 #17 · p.90 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Fujinon 35/1.4 it is then.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:08 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.90 #18 · p.90 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

mortyb wrote:
Honestly I'm a bit surprised. I know there's a risk being an early adopter, but still, I didn't expect this. Maybe my copy is worse than average.

I've returned a few things, and as long as the product is close to new, without any marks or anything, they have to accept it.

That's good to hear. Besides poor white balance in sunlight mine seems just fine, but I have never been an early adopter before and it's a lot of money, so maybe I'll return mine while I still can. I could always buy another one later some time when they have worked out the bugs, but I'd sure miss the lovely low light rendering and the smooth bokeh, so I'll think it over for a couple of days.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.90 #19 · p.90 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
Ouch, one soft edge or something like that?

Yes, I've now confirmed that the lens is decentered. F*CK. Now I will probably have to wait for months for "repair" since no one ever seems to get a new lens/camera when this stuff happens and they aren't even in stock anywhere.

Thank you Sony for the "quality control".

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:35 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.90 #20 · p.90 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
Ouch, not pretty. Have you sent a comment to Sony? This is where programs like Capture One, which are aimed at pros, have a distinct advantage over consumer oriented programs like Lightroom. A white shading exposure can be added to fix this automatically. Medium format sensors have this problem too, especially with very wide angle lenses.

Lightroom also has this capability. It came a couple of updates ago.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password