Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              84      
       86              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.85 #1 · p.85 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:
There aren't any Canons or Nikons in the same class.

I don't believe he was speaking to the RX1 - He is talking about the A99 DSLR (or DSLT if you prefer) compared to the D600 or maybe D800.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.85 #2 · p.85 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

RX1 user guide is now on-line:

http://sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSC-RX1/manuals

The first link for the instruction manual currently fails with a 404 error - file not found. The other links for the EXE or ZIP versions of the "i-Manual" work - these contain the User Guide which is far more interesting than the instruction manual was.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.85 #3 · p.85 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

michaelwatkins wrote:
I don't believe he was speaking to the RX1 - He is talking about the A99 DSLR (or DSLT if you prefer) compared to the D600 or maybe D800.

That is what I meant too. As soon as you want to list the ways the A99 improves on regular DSLRs, you start talking of the EVF and how revolutionary it is, and already you have moved to a different class. EVF and OVF DSLRs are not interchangeable for everyone. I wouldn't like EVFs to replace OVFs, for one, and am happy that both exist.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.85 #4 · p.85 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Carsten: Point noted and understood if not agreed with fully.

Personally I do not believe the photography world needs to adopt a rigorous biological-style classification system in order to communicate effectively, but that seems to be where we are headed, if this thread is any indication. I'm not sure that's a positive development!

Instead I'll continue to be a fan of duck-typing: "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's a duck."

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.85 #5 · p.85 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

millsart wrote:
To me, a "p&s" is a compact, non-interchangeable lens camera, that I can use for mostly casual shooting.

+1

It's both a small camera as far as the physical definition is concerned and a state of mind.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:35 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.85 #6 · p.85 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Why any serious photographer would care whether his camera is classified as point and shoot or CSC or DSLR is beyond me. That's strictly the realm of people more concerned with perceptions than producing. And most serious photographers don't fall into that category. People on web forums however...

I love seeing all the folks who baby their gear and get stuck on tiny details-- and then bumping into people at the height of their careers and abilities who are actively engaged in the photography business... with their banged up, last gen (or older), taped over, dented stuff.

Good stuff. Arguing about size is one thing, but classification?

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:39 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.85 #7 · p.85 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Makten wrote:
Today I handled the RX1 at a photo fair here in Sweden. I was surprised by how silly small it actually is in your hand and how small even the lens is. In fact, the RX1 was so small and negligible that most people didn't even see it! That's a feature that I desire very much.

I can't say much about performance, except that the AF wasn't fast at all. But it seemed very accurate and the speed could very well depend on the firmware. The menues were just as awful as in the A99, that I also tried and
...Show more

Very interesting - thanks.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.85 #8 · p.85 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

dpreview just posted their extended preview of the camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1/

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM
cannpope
• •
p.85 #9 · p.85 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

navyasw02 wrote:
Lots of people care. Half the reason people in this thread are poo-pooing the camera sight unseen because it says Sony on it. If it said Canon or Nikon, half of the naysayers would be raving about how great a value is at $2800 and making outlandish claims that it inverses the rule of thirds to the rule of 3. The other half are poo pooing it because it's in the P&S category. Sony should have marketed it as an Alpha since they're already disadvantaged by brand name alone.

PS - I've gone back several times to play with the A99,
...Show more

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:41 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.85 #10 · p.85 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

OK, people. To my great surpise, when I walked in to my favorite camera shop today, what did I find? He had received one of the first 10 to hit the sheves of French retail barely 30 mn before. He let me play with it only long enough for me to get 5 lousy shots, and I wrote it up
I am hoping to do more tomorrow, including a comparison with my NEX 7 with Leica Elmar 24mm.DearSusan's RX-1 review

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:48 PM
onpaws

p.85 #11 · p.85 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Amazon USA has shipped my rx1 order, excited!

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:30 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.85 #12 · p.85 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

onpaws wrote:
Amazon USA has shipped my rx1 order, excited!

Congrats! Hope amazon sends my RX1 soon then too.
Phillipe, hope it is still there in the shop tomorrow.
Mr Huff posted some comparison with 35 lux on M9.
From what I have seen from Huff and Navy's shots are the 3-d , great contrast wide open and smooth bokeh with slow transition. The cat's eye bokeh circles for lights is a weakness but I know from Suede's posts that this is a function of entrance and exit pupil size/ratio and distance from last element to sensor which are pretty tight for this small camera with lens embedded into the camera.
Pls post images in RX1 image thread when you post, thanks!

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:40 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.85 #13 · p.85 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Here are a bunch of videos from SLRClub.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">This one shows the AF in action
. Maybe my expecations are low but I don't find AF lock to be slow for a compact camera.

The entire set: http://www.youtube.com/user/slrclubreview/videos?query=RX1

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:44 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.85 #14 · p.85 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philber wrote:
OK, people. To my great surpise, when I walked in to my favorite camera shop today, what did I find? He had received one of the first 10 to hit the sheves of French retail barely 30 mn before. He let me play with it only long enough for me to get 5 lousy shots, and I wrote it up
I am hoping to do more tomorrow, including a comparison with my NEX 7 with Leica Elmar 24mm.DearSusan's RX-1 review

Any more pix today?

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.85 #15 · p.85 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Wayne, your wish is my command!
Second instalment of the RX1 review.

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:35 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.85 #16 · p.85 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philber wrote:
Wayne, your wish is my command!
Second instalment of the RX1 review.

Thanks Philippe!
Glad you got to shoot with it some more. Huff`s high ISO street B&W shots are amazing and seem as good as my D800E. Did you shoot with the distortion correction enabled? Supposedly default is not enabled.
You are exercising great constraint in not buying it on the spot after shooting with it.
10 min is way too short.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:17 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.85 #17 · p.85 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Nice follow-up, Philippe. But aren't the two NEX flower shots reversed?

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:20 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.85 #18 · p.85 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Yes, distortion correction was enabled, I think. The dealer, whom I am on very good terms with, got one of the first batch of 10, and he called in many customers who had expressed interest. So he was grateful that I didn't take it immediately away, so he could continue to show it and book some orders.
But I need to see some RAWs before I can make up my mind, because the JPEGs are so overcooked as to make the shots useless. Am I the only one to feel this way so far?

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:26 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.85 #19 · p.85 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

What do you mean, Carsten? The JPEG was so overcooked I neede to seriously boost saturation and vibrance to bring the NEX RAW anywhere close. But I thought I should show the NEX SOOC as well as a yardstick. Which is why the last shot of the flower series looks so dull. Which is after all not so strange in December, when they are way past their prime... Is something wrong?

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:34 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.85 #20 · p.85 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Ah, I understood that the SOOC was first, and then the cooked version. I guess I read it wrong then.

About the colours, I guess it is hard to tell on a subject which you have not seen in person. It looks a little strong, but isn't there a neutral profile of some kind?

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:43 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.