Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              57      
       59              190       191       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.58 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Media / Reviewer early access days for the RX1 and other new Sony cameras has begun. Should be an ongoing stream of these from the usual suspects in short order. First up:

DPReview - RX1 images
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/10/08/Sony-Cyber-shot-dsc-rx1-real-world-sample-images

Apparently this set are all shot at ISO100; all are straight out of the camera JPEG files. Night time images shot at higher sensitivity settings should be up by the morning (California) sometime.

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:09 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

And from Mr. Huff:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/10/08/hot-off-the-press-exclusive-sony-rx1-samples-by-me/

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:58 AM
jonrock
• •
p.58 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Additional RX1 images from one of the usual suspects

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/10/08/hot-off-the-press-exclusive-sony-rx1-samples-by-me/

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:58 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I think we stepped on each other there posting that last link, jonrock.

Huff says the camera is "speedy". Do tell, I've high hopes for the AF in this beast. Currently I have zero autofocus lenses or cameras, and I want to change that.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:27 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.58 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Looking at the DPReview images: they definitely put a Zeiss lens on this camera! The general image rendering exemplified what the Zeiss "3D look" means to me.

Viewing at 100%, however, I was surprised not to find any examples that looked like the lens was beating the resolving power of the sensor. The images don't look like they came from a soft lens, but neither one that (even moderately stopped down, at the center) was blowing the sensor away. I only saw a few very weak examples of moire, and not much by way of high-contrast pixel-level texture. Maybe the camera has a fairly strong AA filter? Anyway, the lens looks like a better performer than my ZE 35/2 (more uniform resolution/contrast from wide open, near perfect on lateral CA, reduced defocus CA and purple fringing), so it's definitely no slouch.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:14 AM
millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.58 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Agreed, the images had some nice color and pop, but the 100% views didn't really have any real biting sharpness either. Looked good across the frame though, so I think its a good lens, but perhaps a bit of a strong AA filter is indeed holding it back.

Certainly more to a good camera than just how it fares at 100% view of course but all we've got to go on thus far is image samples.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.58 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Compared to C/Y lens, sorta flat and dull. About same level as ZA lens (which sorta is expected). At base ISO, technically perfect, just lacking bit of "something".

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:34 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.58 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

So, caveats are: pre-release firmware etc, almost certainly hand-held of unknown security, jpeg, no processing. These rather poor snapshots add little to what is seen already (Sony did much better), no detailed subject matter that can be assessed, but the low light behaviour looks very nice indeed - well-behaved, no obvious faults. See the corner in the bakery...colours look 'solid' and dense, superb CA control.

Too bad they did not put it on a tripod and used a CR in low but even light at f5.6 and f8, and fired off a bracket of fine jpegs with netural settings. And done the same with a 5D2 plus 35/2...and posted crops. But we are different here.

Michael, Sony are so strong on video at present, for this one as well as the a99, might that not make then more cautious about moire control?

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:00 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.58 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
Michael, Sony are so strong on video at present, for this one as well as the a99, might that not make then more cautious about moire control?

That's perhaps a good point; I know nothing about video, so I don't take it into consideration when considering cameras. Is a camera like the RX1 (fixed lens, geared towards auto-focus and auto-aperture) particularly appealing to video folks? I was under the impression that video shooters were so happy to not need a $X0,000 50-pound rig that a bucket full of 5DII's with Zeiss CP lenses was already their cheap/portable option (and Sony has several more video-centric offerings).

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:13 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Not being a serious video person all I can relate is that I've seen numerous comments that a camera for serious video should really have an audio output jack (makes sense; the RX1 does not). Probably Sony intends the A99 and other SLT's to be used for significant video shooting.

Plus it is a fixed lens camera after all. It'd be great if the video specific stabilization works well for us casual users.

Some of the DPReview shots look softer than others; Huff's look a little better but they aren't full resolution files... and I'm looking at them on a not great laptop while on the road. Sure would be nice to have a look at raw files.

More, show us more.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Imaging-Resource.com has posted some images:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/08/sony-rx1-gallery-shots-posted

Edit: Their links are all fubar right now. If you replace the numeric host address (http://216.18.212.226) at the start of the URL with http://imaging-resource.com you'll gain access to them.

Included in their set are some interior images captured at >= 1000 ISO.

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 04:37 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:40 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.58 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Just going off the PR material, they emphasised the video angle, even to showing a photo with a lot of what looks like video stuff, lol. I am wondering who will be the first 'reviewer' to enable a decent assessment of this RX1 and the a99 - suitable for us stills guys who like lots of detail and highly photographic images.

Mescalamba, you have the knack of saying what a lot of people are thinking. The latest Zeiss offerings look very 'cinematic'.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:46 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Comment noted on DPReview:
Not sure why the sample shots are soft - I was able to try an RX1 as well and it was ridiculously sharp.

Imaging-resource.com - easier path to a working full res JPG link, take a link like this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx1/FULLRES/yrx1-00053.HTM

And change .HTM to .jpg

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:45 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.58 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

mpmendenhall wrote:
Looking at the DPReview images: they definitely put a Zeiss lens on this camera! The general image rendering exemplified what the Zeiss "3D look" means to me.

Viewing at 100%, however, I was surprised not to find any examples that looked like the lens was beating the resolving power of the sensor. The images don't look like they came from a soft lens, but neither one that (even moderately stopped down, at the center) was blowing the sensor away. I only saw a few very weak examples of moire, and not much by way of high-contrast pixel-level texture. Maybe the camera
...Show more

looks like standard sony jpegs to me, they never look sharp at 100%. i wouldn't draw conclusions about the AA filter from them. need to see raws.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:57 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.58 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Imaging-Resource has fixed their links; Dave Etchells also provided this feedback on usability:
On usability, I'm just carried away with the RX1 - It's just unbelievably compact for a full-frame camera; I think some of the NEX line are actually bigger than it. Even more than the size, though, I'm *really* appreciating the way you can reprogram pretty much any button on the camera. It just makes shooting so easy and natural.

With the fixed focal length lens, I noticed I was wanting to switch aspect ratios more often - no problem, I just assigned the left-arrow function to aspect ratio change. Likewise for other functions I was using frequently in the particular shooting
...Show more

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:28 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.58 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I thought the early Sony release looked great. Even more so when one considers that PR pics are seldom the best, and it was still JPEG and pre-release software time. So I had great hopes. But those 3 batches are a definite let-down by comparison. nothing wrong with them, mind, but nothing exciting either, neither colour, nor detail, nor sharpness. Only one picture is really of interest to me, the close up of ivory. Reminds me of the ZA 24 f:1.8 for NEX. Very good close up, not so at infinity. I will need to wait for RAWs from production cams to see which of my impression was correct. The first, optimistic one, or the second, disappointed one.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:13 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.58 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sebboh wrote:
looks like standard sony jpegs to me, they never look sharp at 100%.

I've never seen in-camera JPG:s from any camera that are even remotely as sharp as a well processed RAW. Worst of all is Nikon cameras that render totally useless JPG:s with like half or less the resolution of the sensor. I think these RX1 ones look really good actually.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:35 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.58 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
I've never seen in-camera JPG:s from any camera that are even remotely as sharp as a well processed RAW. Worst of all is Nikon cameras that render totally useless JPG:s with like half or less the resolution of the sensor. I think these RX1 ones look really good actually.

yeah, the transamerica building shot on dpr looks about as good as i think any shot could with the sony jpeg engine, so i'm still cautiously optimistic.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:45 AM
dcjs
• •
p.58 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

If you want to see "advanced aspherical ugliness", look at the top left corner of "DSC00043" of the dpreview samples at 100%.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.58 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

dcjs wrote:
If you want to see "advanced aspherical ugliness", look at the top left corner of "DSC00043" of the dpreview samples at 100%.

Most fast 35 mm lenses would do the same in that situation. Even the new lovely Zeiss 35/1.4 gives funky corners.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password