Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sure...but this is not a Leica 35 Cron. It's a Sony Zeiss which means it's probably a good lens but not anything close to your Cron (going by my experience with ZA 24/2). I'm most curious to see how it actually performs though.

Opinions obviously differ. Give me a Sony Zeiss 35 over a 35 Cron any day of the week. Especially if it's a Sonnar (still my preferred Zeiss rendering). IMHO the performance of the 35 Summicron's has always been heavily overrated, they're good but not any better than the newer designs from other manufacturers (and yes, I'm including the ASPH in that roundup, it's not the stunner that the 90 Cron A-A is, or the ridiculous performer of the new 50 Cron ASPH).

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sebboh wrote:
that looks like a flip up lcd to me:
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/picrumors/rx1-top.gif

note the way the lcd frame juts out rather than being smoothly incorporated into the body and the fact that it has a tab on top to help pull it away from the body just as the nex-5 does.

judging by the hotshoe this is noticeably smaller than a NEX-7 + 35mm cron.

Agreed, looks like a flip LCD to me. The size of this new camera is pretty remarkable, when you consider how large the e-mount 24/1.8 is. I may actually buy one of these silly things, depending on how the EVF thing shakes out.

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:50 PM
iskraII
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

$2700 for the camera plus extra $350 or more for the EVF, I guess I am going to keep nex-7 with Zeiss 24 Sonnar for now

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:56 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

douglasf13 wrote:
Agreed, looks like a flip LCD to me. The size of this new camera is pretty remarkable, when you consider how large the e-mount 24/1.8 is. I may actually buy one of these silly things, depending on how the EVF thing shakes out.

i'm torn. that is large chunk of change. i'd need to sell some stuff to buy it, but i'm sure it would last me at least 5 years (hopefully more). the problem is that during that time a FF csc would probably be introduced and i'd want that too.

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:58 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

sebboh wrote:
the problem is that during that time a FF csc would probably be introduced and i'd want that too.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:03 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I think anybody who is complaining about the price is nuts. This isn't a "consumer" camera meant for the masses. There's a 35mm (equivalent)/24MP solution you can buy right now for $2200.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:10 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Incredible. People have been DYING for a full frame compact since the digital revolution began. Now that it may be here, it's not good enough unless it is pocketable. Full frame, in your pocket. Some folks will never be happy.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:15 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

this is pretty awesome. figure you expect to pay $1,500-2,000 for a ff camera, plus 1k for an awesome 35 f/2, and the price really doesn't seem that out of line.

the x100 has shown me that I love 35mm and if I only had one lens that'd have to be it, so if this thing functions like a jewel and has an amazing sensor I might have to consider selling ye olde x100. it's a big commitment to sink that kind of loot into a fixed 35 though. you gotta know FOR SURE

oh, the viewfinder situation appears.... less than ideal. to say the least. oof.

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 11:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rattymouse wrote:
Incredible. People have been DYING for a full frame compact since the digital revolution began. Now that it may be here, it's not good enough unless it is pocketable. Full frame, in your pocket. Some folks will never be happy.

I don't care if it's pocketable myself. Anything smaller/ lighter than the ridiculously huge and heavy Hasselblad H3D I have been using lately will do. I guess my expectations change based on what I expect is coming. FF 35 24MP is going to be ubiquitous. I suspect it will even show up in other compact mirrorless offerings within the next year or so, some perhaps that offer the ability to use other lenses and maybe even include built in finders. For the niche that does not need or want the versatility, this RX1 is great news. It's actually great for everyone as it opens the door for everything else to follow. For now though, I'm waiting for the 36MP interchangeable lens version. Heck, I'm even willing to buy that one without a finder and just use it as a digital back for lenses and various finders. The question is, will I be buying it from Sony, Ricoh or someone else.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:30 PM
rioni
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I would be buying one if it was interchangeable and the Zeiss 35/2 was still included at that price. I guess this is a good thing since I just got my NEX7 Maybe next year!

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dan1
• •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rattymouse wrote:

I think the issue is that people wanted a FF compact that they would be able to mount any lens on. Not only does the RX1 deny them that, but it lacks the pocketability that you usually get as a tradeoff for having a fixed lens.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:32 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

snowboarder wrote:
I think the advantage of the FF sensor is kind of lost with a fixed lens camera.
The whole point is to use several FF lenses on it.

Agreed, but I think that's exactly the issue that Sony and Zeiss are concerned with here.

Imagine this camera a "universal" E mount, just like a NEX. I would buy one in a heartbeat, as would many here, but I might not buy any of the lenses that Sony/Zeiss make for it. I have lots of "small-enough" legacy SLR glass to go with it already, and Sony and Zeiss realize that many of us that would purchase a FF mirrorless body are in just such a position. How to deal with this dilemma? - make it a fixed lens - problem solved for Sony and Zeiss!

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:34 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I can't wait to see the responses from the forum once the Zeiss CSC lenses are announced and priced for the inevitable FF NEX/RX10 or whatever it's going to be called.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:36 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rattymouse wrote:

What real point is there to a full frame fixed lens compact if its not pocketable ?

For me at least, the revolution isn't if its APS-C or FF, because frankly I don't think there is that much difference between, say a f1.4 23mm on APS vs a 35mm f2.0 on FF, because APS-C has gotten pretty darn good. Would a larger sensor be "better" sure, but is it really going to change what or how I shoot No its not.

X100, X2, XPro, XE1, NEX or a M9 (with single lens) or this RX1, all going to be basically more of the same.

Make such a camera, be it APS-C or FF really pocketable ? Now thats a real revolution in how and where I carry a camera.

Taking a camera with me to places I 'd normally never carry one is what I'd be willing to spend money for.

Having a larger sensor too big for pocket camera just means that I'd have a slightly better tool to leave at home and miss all the same shots with because unless I'm wearing a man bag or backpack, or the camera around my neck, its staying at home.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:45 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Maybe you can release the lens by pushing the lens in and rotate! hahaha

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:51 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

If this full frame camera can't fit in my underwear, it's useless!

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

FlyPenFly wrote:
If this full frame camera can't fit in my underwear, it's useless!

That would certainly be my 5 year old's criteria!

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:55 PM
dcjs
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

It is amazing how peoples demands are always one step ahead of the technical development, and every step among the way of technical improvement is met with the same level of disappointment that it was only one step instead of two or five at a time.

Sony seems to just have kicked open the door for live-view mirrorless FF cameras, and while this camera certainly isn't going to satisfy everyone, it will only be the first of its kind, like the Fuji X100 was the first of its kind in a way, and it was followed by an exchangeable lens equivalent not too much later.

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

millsart wrote:
What real point is there to a full frame fixed lens compact if its not pocketable ?

For me at least, the revolution isn't if its APS-C or FF, because frankly I don't think there is that much difference between, say a f1.4 23mm on APS vs a 35mm f2.0 on FF, because APS-C has gotten pretty darn good. Would a larger sensor be "better" sure, but is it really going to change what or how I shoot No its not.

X100, X2, XPro, XE1, NEX or a M9 (with single lens) or this RX1, all going to be basically more of
...Show more

I guess my problem is that I don't have ANY pocket room, even for a P&S sized camera. In fact, I've never actually even owned a P&S camera. I've got a cell phone, keys, chapstick, etc. already tying up all of my usable pocket room. So, until my cellphone is delivering aps-c (or maybe RX100) quality, I'm going to need to have some kind of camera to carry along with me in some fashion.

Once I quite shooting paid gigs, I got tired of lugging around the A900 and a single prime everywhere, which is what started me on the mirrorless journey in the first place, and A900 or better IQ in such a small package is pretty interesting. Even though NEX, X100, etc. don't fit in my pocket, carrying them is far better than the A900 day to day.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Guari
• • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

dcjs wrote:
It is amazing how peoples demands are always one step ahead of the technical development, and every step among the way of technical improvement is met with the same level of disappointment that it was only one step instead of two or five at a time.

Sony seems to just have kicked open the door for live-view mirrorless FF cameras, and while this camera certainly isn't going to satisfy everyone, it will only be the first of its kind, like the Fuji X100 was the first of its kind in a way, and it was followed by an exchangeable lens equivalent
...Show more

+1

This camera is marking a hiatus on camera development. It might not fit everyone's needs. It doesn't definitely meets mine. Nor is the price accessible to me at all. But to me, this camera marks the point where I know in 4 or 5 years I'll be able to buy a FF mirrorless in a small body for a price that my pocket will handle! Good news!

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password